Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - Seriously impressive work with only 200 recovery. I'd say you're looking good with even 400 meter recovery, but with only 200, it's a great indicator that you are in shape to PR!

Keen - You know you're doing seriously mileage when 55 is a cutback week...

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

MJ/Enric - sub 20 5K, sub 40 10K and sub 80 half right? I’m sure Mark would agree…

Keen - great week and LOL at the workout descriptions

Steve - that’s very impressive with only 200m recoveries and 6 reps. You certainly are a speedy beast and once you work on that endurance that will certainly translate to a PB in the half.

MJ - We can never know, past performances in running are no guarantee of future performances, unfortunately 

My half PR is so old now I'm not even sure I can still claim it.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks guys - I've got a pretty good base so hopefully I can hang in there for 21.1.  This workout was actually a bit of a shock for me, it beats any stats for similar workouts even leading up to the PB in 2016.  However, I know it's only one so I'm trying to focus on the next one rather than fantasizing about a PB in 2.5 weeks.  Next up is a tempo which hopefully will feel "comfortable" at the slower speed (4:10-4:15).

Edit:  Just went back to look at the same workout 3 weeks out from the 2016 Christchurch half.  The physio/running coach I was seeing at the time wanted me at race pace for the last month so the times are 4:05-4:10 so I'm not sure what I actually could have done.  I think the same workout at race pace would be very comfortable right now.  Okay, I'm really going to try and focus on each training run and save thinking about the race until the last week.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - definitely a solid workout and a promising sign.  200m is not much recovery at all and would've made the last 2-3 reps tough.  I normally do that workout with 400m rests (also on the track which gives me a bit of speed boost and is good for the ego haha).

Flavio - I can't help but feel that seems a little unfair 

Keen - nice week again, you have really been putting in the work.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

jaimegu

Hi, guys,

Quick drive by:

Mark; Congrats for that excellent race with PR in a difficult route... i think you have the Series podium in your pocket, isn't it?

And superb RR.

Watson: Congrats on your race as well.  The alcohol the previous day might not be the best if you wanted to get a good time, nor are the well stocked aid stations.  long grass, traffic and multiple sharp turns don't help either. I  hope you enjoyed it and collected "marriage points" for future occasions

Piwi:  I think your ankle is better now... Am I right?

Keen:  cutback week looks like my highest so far.  Great work

Flavio: Nice week, getting away from the Gaga costume.

Steve: Very promising those two workouts... Glad your calf didn't act more.

JMac: Good week and happy to see you back at more serious workouts

Rune: Taper madness?  just don't overdo these days. I also think that your potential is much much faster than 3:25 but you just changed your goal last minute... So make it a good rehearsal for the goal race Amsterdam. In fact, I would suggest you don't pay attention to the watch but to your body.

Mick: Don't read too much from a failed workout

James: Good job in the week... Also happy your knee is collaborating.niceel

Enric:

Me: 3 days of snow and, right after, a cold front did impact last week.  I had to shovel on Wednesday so I skipped my mid long (on Thursday I doubled a MP run with soccer with few hours in between trying to get a similar stimulus.  Long run on Saturday got cut short because of the cold. It was -8 C (feels like -15), so it was not fun at all... Let's say I put 67Kms between Thu and Sun.

Weekly Summary
            Monday, Mar 12, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 18, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description Link
            Mon 6.3 8:35 Recovery Run strava
            Tue 8.0 7:48 13k Easy Run strava
            Thu 8.8 7:05 13km@4:26. Total:14k strava
            Thu 2.6 26:32 Football, the 1 U play with ur feet strava
            Fri 9.4 7:42 15k Easy Run strava
            Sat 11.8 8:09 Afternoon Run w/ Luc strava
            Sun 9.2 7:44 15k easy Run strava
              56.4 8:42    
            Marky_Mark_17

Jaime - nice week!! Funny you ask, they have just updated the series standings. See below for my analysis (I had some free time at work, and I'd rather get this thought through now so I'm not playing it through my head the night before the race!!).  Sorry if this is boring for everyone but for me this is like when you're trying to figure out if your team will make the playoffs except I'm actually the 'team' here haha.

Series standings

With 1 race to go, I've gone from being well behind Brad to actually dead equal thanks to placing well ahead of him at Coatesville (he was injured and took it 'easy' - he actually told me he only bothered finishing the race to stay in the series).  Points are based on relative placings - you get 1 pt for every person of the same gender you beat in a race.

1st = Brad Luiten 1,607 pts

1st = Mark Paterson 1,607 pts

3rd Chris Trent 1,605 pts

4th Timothy Judge 1,596 pts

There are two other important things:

1. Waterfront counts for double points (hence possibility of tied points between Chris and me or Brad if he finishes 1 spot ahead of either of us).
              2. Waterfront is likely to attract a bigger field than the other races including a number of runners doing just this 1 race - and probably some decent runners like Stephen Lett (again), Julian Ng and Aaron Jackson too.  These 1-off runners won't have a chance in the series standings, but could impact race placings and therefore points - if 1 of them was to finish in between Brad, Chris and I it could impact the relativities.

What this all means:

• The top 3 will probably be the top 3 but everything is up for grabs.  For 4th place to sneak in would require one of us to have an absolute shocker or a DNF (this is by no means impossible either!)
              • Brad and I are in a straight head-to-head.  Neither Chris nor I have ever beaten Brad in a race when he's been fit (the closest either of us have got is around 1 minute behind him).  If he is fit he should beat us and take 1st. 
              • There is potential for tied points for Brad or I with Chris if he finishes just ahead of either of us.  I don't know how they would deal with a tie-break. Head-to-head results across the series would be the fairest option, since it is a five-race series after all.  This would favour me over Chris as I've beat him in 3 of 4 races (ditto Brad over Chris). 
              • Depending on how the tie break works, Chris might need to be 2 spots ahead of either Brad or I to leapfrog us.  This is where guys like Stephen, Julian and Aaron could play a significant part.  Stephen would probably be ahead of all 3 of us, but Julian had a really good 1:18ish race on a similar course in December which would put him right in the mix.

The tl;dr version: 

1. All the series podium spots are up for grabs and it will come down to the Waterfront Half Marathon - lets be honest that is a pretty cool way to finish a series with basically everything riding on the final race
              2. I need to ask how they deal with tie-breaks
              3. Steve, any cheering you can provide would be greatly appreciated (and of course reciprocated!)
              4. Even if I just PR'ed last weekend, there is no shortage of motivation for this race!! Although given I seem to race better when I'm more relaxed, I should probably stop thinking about it haha.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I think the first half of the race is where I'm more likely to be able to provide some support...if I'm not in my own world madly calculating minutes and seconds.

With the series on the line will you change your strategy to racing people rather than the clock?

I'm unsure about how to approach this one - I'll wait until the weather is known before deciding on a final plan.  Do I run by feel and risk blowing up early or run with a plan down to the second and risk blowing up early or not achieving what I could?

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - Definitely wait for the weather.  If it's windy, you'll want to manage your pacing.  Otherwise it's just a steady 4:12-4:13/km to allow a bit of safety if the course runs slightly long.  They have had 1:30 pacers at all of the series races so far, if Gene Rand is doing it he will probably be almost bang on 1:29:50 so the other option is to just stay 30 seconds ahead of Gene haha.

My strategy at Coatesville was to go out with the lead group and see if I could hang on.  I will probably do the same at Waterfront, knowing that if I can't quite hang with the lead group then there will hopefully be other quick runners I can work with.  The objective will still be to run the fastest race that I can - if I do that the placings will be as good as they can be.  I'll definitely be aware of who is where but it won't change my overall strategy, other than maybe late in the race if I feel like I can catch someone if I go really deep into the pain cave.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I'm a bit weary of pacers after my 2016 PB.  I spent the first 9km ahead of the pacer then the whole group went past me at 9.5km and disappeared into the distance.  At the 16km mark I said to a guy "we're 30 seconds in front of 1:30 pace right?" and he agreed - the pacer was so far in front I couldn't see him.  Ended up passing him in the last km when he was almost walking.  If I'd gone with him I would have blown up for sure.  I might see how it plays out - definitely handy with the out and back nature of the course, so I'll be able to know where he is if he's behind me.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Yeah I have heard some pretty variable stories with pacers, but to be honest if Gene is doing it he would be one I'd absolutely trust.  He's extremely experienced and pretty much a guaranteed bet to run a consistent pace and come in 20-25 seconds ahead of the goal.  He's a sub-2:50 marathoner and averages probably like 150km/week.  He's also very easy to spot as he has big tattoos on both arms and will probably be wearing a yellow YMCA singlet!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Wow this is incredibly close between the top 3 and you have your current running form on your side. If you say you haven't been closer than 1 minute behind Brad then maybe you are at par at the moment.

Can't wait for that final - does it air on any local tv station?

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

jaimegu

Re: Pacers,  I only tried once to hang with a pacer.  That was a try to get 1:30 in a HM.  There was a lot of traffic at the beginning and the guy was 30 seconds slower after 4Km. Then he sped up trying to get back quickly to his target and many of us were dropped.

Had he do it gentle, I think I would have hanged longer.  It's not the same to try to keep 4:14/km, than run 4:00/km for 2Kms and then slow back to 4:16.  I finished at 1:32 that time.

OTOH,  A friend of mine paces 4 or 5 HMs a year and he is very consistent.  He relies a lot on his watch (there is an app for his Garmin so one can adjust with Km markers).  He aims to be very close to the goal and encourages the runners to sprint at the very end. He's frequently thanked by runners

My first marathon in 2013 i met up with the sub 3 pacer who informed me he was injured and would pull out at halfway. I decided to do my own thing and ran ahead of his group. Nobody in that group ran sub 3 that day.

Mark nice position you are in with the series. You just never know with illness and injuries etc.

My right achilles bothering me alot. I am trying to find some decent trainers. Nike dont seem to be available through Wiggle or Runningwarehouse Australia , damn frustrating. Left ankle good but i went over on it again getting out of my van so it must be weak. Hasnt swollen this time though. My mileage is so light I shouldnt be getting injured.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - Bummer on the achilles! I get injured the less I'm running, so maybe you're catching some of the bug I have.

Mark - I always like your race reports/summaries. I have absolutely no idea who any of these people are, but it's like reading your personal running diary about all of your adversaries and who you need to catch. "Billy Bob came down with the flu last week, so I think I can catch him, but you always have to worry about Slick Steve, because he comes out of the woodwork in Half Marathons and can move up 3 spots easily."

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Knowing nothing about any of the people, I'm saying I don't think Brad can recover from an injury enough in 3 weeks to beat Mark while he is in career best form.  Never write off a champion, but the bookies have Mark as favourite to take the series.  What a story for a guy who was 5/1 outsider a few short months ago.

2024 Races: