Half Marathon hydration - carry your own? (Read 1181 times)

On Thursday I will be running my first HM. So far in training I have been using amphipod water bottles on a belt for hydration on all but my under-5-mile runs. I will be wearing the belt to carry a gel for the race, and a cell phone since it ends 13 some-odd miles from my car. I don't know if I should consider carrying my own water/sport drink during the race. Do people do this? Is it considered uncool, dorky, or just unnecessary weight? Do enough people do it to where I won't look like a noob, or is it the secret giveaway that you are one? Big grin I certainly don't plan on breaking any records except my own. My experience from 10k's are that H2O station are notorious cluster fumbles, and if I don't stop to walk I have almost drowned myself. However I suspect that my HM pace will be less frantic and more relaxed so I suppose I could hydrate at the provided stations.

If you think you'll want the sport drink, you can carry your own water. Presumably, if it is an organized race, then you should have water stops available along the course. The race's website might give you more info. Generally speaking, I don't bother carrying my own water during races. The only time that I have was during a 50k mountain race that only had a half dozen water stops. Most half marathons that I have run have had 4 to 8 water stops. Since I never train with water (unless it is really hot) for a 13 to 15 mile run, I never carry anything. I'd bring it with you, and ask when you check in where the water stops are. If you don't think you'll need to carry it, just leave it in your car. If you do, then you'll have it with you.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

My experience from 10k's are that H2O station are notorious cluster fumbles, and if I don't stop to walk I have almost drowned myself.
        While I don't think it is uncool or dorky - some might consider it unnecessary weight. It's usually pretty hot here in Texas and imagine Atlanta is similar. I almost always carry a hand bottle in training. The reason you have listed above is why I bring it to races 15k and up. I can skip all of the first few water stations and avoid a lot of the crowding. In my last half, I used this strategy, hit a couple stations in the middle for gatorade and water, and my 20oz bottle only just got empty in the last couple miles.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I'd base it on what you are used to. I usually don't carry water with me in half marathons but that's because I don't always carry water with me when I train unless I'm running long or on the trails. That being said, I plan on carrying a water bottle during the Tucson Marathon in 2 weeks. This is because I've been training with hammer nutrition products for my past few long runs and I like the idea of being able to sip on my drink at my leisure rather than dealing with the crowds at the water stops. I don't think you'll look like a noob and even if you do, you'll be a noob who will do well if you follow a plan that works for you. Smile