5k March 2, but I am sick....Grrrrrr (Read 472 times)

The Greatest of All Time

My first 5k in about 10 years is this coming Sunday and I am hoping to break 17 minutes. Well...maybe. Friday afternoon I felt my chest getting dodgy so I loaded up that night on Mucinex. Saturday am felt ok, ran a 17 mile long run in 2 hours and felt ok the rest of the day. Sunday, ran 6 miles outside, lifted, and then did an easy 30 minutes on the elliptical. Yesterday afternoon started feeling crappy. This morning, got up to go run at 5:00...no way. I feel so weak right now I couldn't pull a drunk whore off a three legged bar stool. My heart rate was sky high this morning and now I am coughing up Shrek snot from my chest. I hate when this happens right before a race! Sorry needed to vent to folks that would understand. And why the hell am I at work right now?
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

uncontrollable

BUMMER but most impt. to get well (completely) & invest in another race. Patience is hard but worth it so you can run your best!

peace

Arg! I have a 5K on the 2nd as well. Both of my kids had high fevers this weekend and yesterday, so I am so worried that I'll get sick too. To make it worse, 3 of my husbands 4 secretaries and his title searcher are all sick with the flu today, so I'm just hoping like heck he/me doesn't get it too. To top it off, the race is 3 1/2 hours away in an awesome place, and I've rented a house for the weekend. Great. Angry We'll be out the deposit, race fee and a great trip if we can't go. Cry I'm so sorry you are sick! Maybe it'll be short lived and you'll be good as new for Sunday. ?? Keep taking the mucinex and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate so it'll loosen up and get outta there. (Sorry for the motherly advice, but it does work).

The Greatest of All Time

Arg! I have a 5K on the 2nd as well. Both of my kids had high fevers this weekend and yesterday, so I am so worried that I'll get sick too. To make it worse, 3 of my husbands 4 secretaries and his title searcher are all sick with the flu today, so I'm just hoping like heck he/me doesn't get it too. To top it off, the race is 3 1/2 hours away in an awesome place, and I've rented a house for the weekend. Great. Angry We'll be out the deposit, race fee and a great trip if we can't go. Cry I'm so sorry you are sick! Maybe it'll be short lived and you'll be good as new for Sunday. ?? Keep taking the mucinex and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate so it'll loosen up and get outta there. (Sorry for the motherly advice, but it does work).
          Thanks MOM! I am going to try not to run for two days if I can...could be tough though. Even if I am not in top form for this one, I have another one on March 16 so all is not lost. Fortunately for me my races are in Chicago which is only a 45 minute drive from the burbs, unlike you. If I were you I would put on an astronaut suit to avoid all those nasty germs!

If I were you I would put on an astronaut suit to avoid all those nasty germs!
            Yep, HAZMAT suit on the ready! And all the Purell hand sanitizer I can locate. Good Luck! --Anna

The Greatest of All Time

Well I didn't really take any days off this week, although I went easy Wednesday and threw some weights and elliptical stuff in with a real slow, short run. I am still on the end of this chest cold or whatever it is. It hasn't appeared to slow me down or tax me physically this weak. I ran pretty hard last night, and took today off as normal. We'll see which legs show up Sunday morning. I imagine race temperature will be around 30 with potential for rain. What shall I wear?