Swimming & Calories Burned (Read 1446 times)

Does anyone know why it won't estimate the amount of calories I’ve burned during a swim session? I know it does if for the run entries and the bike entries but it will not for weight lifting and swimming. Could I be leaving out a variable it needs to make that calculation?

"It's a must that you outwork your competition today! Think training is hard? Try losing!" Eric Thomas

I think it depends on a combination of things, probably much less on weight, but more on form.  I know when I used to swim on a frequent basis, a 1 hour swim (only a little more than a mile for this landlubber) my hunger was equivalent to running over 2 hours (usually 16 miles or so).  I attribute this mostly to sloppy form since guys 50 pounds more than me were lapping me on a frequent basis.  This link (http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm) may give a guideline, but just like running, I don't think calories burned is an exact science.  I've found that if I focus more on establishing a good training schedule with lots of miles, weight is no longer an issue...

Patzer

when I used to swim on a frequent basis, a 1 hour swim (only a little more than a mile for this landlubber) my hunger was equivalent to running over 2 hours (usually 16 miles or so).

Oh my god, do I know that.  I get so hungry while swimming that it shocks me.  And it's not like I don't know how to fuel (I'm a triathlete).  Swimming is simply a very high caloric burn exercise--or at least it is for me.

Current goal: an Olympic distance triathlon. Did two of them! New goal: a half-ironman?? Did that too. New goal: I'll have to get back to you.

i don't know cals burned showin in the swim entry but i know there is a formula floatin around here someplace for how much you need to swim for it to be the equivilent of runnin. you can figyah it out from that, i would think. and i think swimmin is.......easy in comparison to runnin. i've been runnin fro 20 years and i just stahted swimmin in nov. 2010. aftah a swim i don't feel like l've done anything compared to a run. this tells me i need to swim for a very long time to reap the benefits of a short run. this is my experienced opinion only...as i know nothin.

damn it...i'm <3 hours late.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

i don't know cals burned showin in the swim entry but i know there is a formula floatin around here someplace for how much you need to swim for it to be the equivilent of runnin. you can figyah it out from that, i would think. and i think swimmin is.......easy in comparison to runnin. i've been runnin fro 20 years and i just stahted swimmin in nov. 2010. aftah a swim i don't feel like l've done anything compared to a run. this tells me i need to swim for a very long time to reap the benefits of a short run. this is my experienced opinion only...as i know nothin.

damn it...i'm <3 hours late.

Have you tried swimmin a mile?

my log is open so don't pump me full of led.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

The OP is asking why RA doesn't calculate the calories burned for a swim workout but does for a run.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

my log is open so don't pump me full of led.

Nah, i'm sayin swimmin a mile is hahrd for me.   Looking at your log, it's appahrently easy for you.

protoplasm72

The OP is asking why RA doesn't calculate the calories burned for a swim workout but does for a run.

Because bad swimming form is the equivalent of running with a parachute behind you.  To calculate the calories even remotely accurately you'd need to know the size of the parachute and the wind conditions.  It's very difficult to figure out how much effort is related to bad form when swimming.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson