2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Steve no I didn't have a swell weekend in fact it was flat so no surfing 

Weatherboy got you back on my Strava.

I'm probably the slowest in this thread and barely worthy but I started my 18/70 plan today albeit with a cold and recent calf strain hanging over me. I was stuck on 8.48 pace for the first 3 miles but then the old bones warmed into the heady heights of 8 min pace. It's a start!

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Steve: Congrats on the PR, that is a great time. I wish there were some 15ks around me, I like that distance.

Swim: Don't forget about candy, chips and beer; cookies alone is not enough for post-marathon recovery 

JMac: Great start to your cycle and looks like you are NFA regarding sub 2:40 at Boston!

Weatherboy: Only 61 miles on a recovery week? I thought you would be over 70   Glad you are taking it a bit easy; the easy running will let you recharge for the Boston cycle.

DW: That looks like a smart first week back from your marathon; no impact but a good amount of exercise nonetheless to get the blood flowing and speed the recovery. I especially like your Tuesday workout.

Piwi: I'll give you some competition for slowest on this thread. At one point on Sundays run I thought I was really picking up the pace quite a bit only to have the watch click an 8:10 mile   .

My week: Only thing notable was that I did the first hard-ish workout since my marathon 2 months ago. 10 x 2 min on/2 min off. It really knocked me out for the next few days; felt sore and sluggish. Very slowly but surely getting back into it.

Weekly Summary
      Monday, Dec 03, 2018 thru Sunday, Dec 09, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
      Tue 10.1 8:01 Morning Run 507 strava
      Wed 10.1 8:34 Morning Run 505 strava
      Thu 11.3 7:26 Morning Run with 10 x 2 min on, 2 min off 555 strava
      Fri 10.0 8:34 Afternoon Run 504 strava
      Sat 8.1 9:09 Trails in Sega Park 564 strava
      Sun 16.0 8:30 Long run 879 strava
        65.6 8:21   3514  

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’m one of the slowest on this thread now and I’m cool with that...I like to look up to the faster folk! ðŸ¤¥

Squirrel - Very impressive racing this year and I almost think that you could nearly beat me in a marathon now! (but not quite)

Swim - You deserve some down time. Enjoy!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

weatherboy80

We are all slow compared to the guys and girls that do this stuff for a living Wink  We are all here to learn and build from each other since at the end of the day its generally about competing with yourself anyways Smile

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

steve_

powered by plants

Squirrel - Very impressive racing this year and I almost think that you could nearly beat me in a marathon now! (but not quite)

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Yeah Mikkey, it's becoming more and more apparent to me that the marathon (in spite of how much i love training for it) is not my ideal distance.  I'm considering taking next year off from the distance and focus on racing shorter stuff more often.  Now I'm wondering if I can get back under 5 for the mile or even 60 for the 400.

JMac, you don't run for an NYRR team?  What's up with that?  Do you not race that often here?

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - 3:10 am train for a race is crazy! Do you really love NYRR races that much?

"Slowness" - This thread is almost more about a state of mind than a particular speed, no more talk of how slow people are! Everyone here is working very hard to get to their goals. I often feel unworthy compared to the mileage everyone here puts up, that's what I look up to. There is absolutely no way I would be running as much as I do if it wasn't for this thread, plus the old RWOL, to show me how normal folks with busy lives can still put in 60+ per week. I remember when I first hit 40 mpw I was so proud that I would talk about it like it was a major accomplishment, which it certainly was at the time. Now, getting up to 70 is "meh" and I'll feel much better if I can crack the 80 mpw barrier.

Steve - Nah, no team. Introvert by nature, but more importantly, I run in Central Park almost every day so doing races there is very boring for me. I often try to run races outside of NYC if I can to get some variety. I also limit my racing schedule as I find racing too often puts a dent in my training. I probably will only truly race 2 things between now and Boston: the upcoming 10K and the NYC Half. I may do something else in the middle, but it would just be to practice running MP in a race environment and taking in gels/liquids without having to stop, as I suffered through stomach cramps for almost the entire NYCM and can use that practice.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - 3:10 am train for a race is crazy! Do you really love NYRR races that much?

I wouldn't if I had to do them all the time, but as a once-or-twice-a-year thing, they're fun.  Come up, race, do a bit of window shopping, come home - it's a fun day.

"Slowness" - This thread is almost more about a state of mind than a particular speed, no more talk of how slow people are!

6 miles at 9:42 pace for me this morning.  That means I win, right?  (Also did some lifting).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Darkwave 6@9.42 makes me feel better although you just came off a 2.57 marathon !

Jmac I fell into the category of working hard to get the mileage in this morning when i ran my medium long run at 4.30am.

You guys are right so i will stop playing the slow card now. Anyway when I ran my sub 3s I was regularly running recoveries at 9 min pace and easy runs at 8 min pace. It doesnt matter as long as workout day you nail it.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Very quiet out here, I guess that's usual in the marathon shoulder months of December/June where racing is done. Also, what happened to Cal, hopefully he didn't disappear! Maybe I should throw out some comments about age grading and how important millennials are to the future to get him out of his lair 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Very quiet out here, I guess that's usual in the marathon shoulder months of December/June where racing is done. Also, what happened to Cal, hopefully he didn't disappear! Maybe I should throw out some comments about age grading and how important millennials are to the future to get him out of his lair 

Cal is here but his motivation is like weather in Moscow - below 0... Sad And not only running related... Basically on everything. Not sure what to do with that... I guess - nothing.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Tough time of year to be motivated, my motivation is the lowest it’s been the entire year. I’m not enjoying any runs. Maybe things will turn around for you come the new year, after the holidays are over with?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I always hate December.....get the Christmas crap out of the way and then I’m good to go.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

We used to have a Xmas holiday mileage challenge to get through the doldrums...

steve_