when to stretch??? (Read 1830 times)

obiebyke

Actually, I did have a couple of weeks of non-running. Figbash was right. And biketm. Now that I've been back at it consistently for a while, without stretching, I've noticed that my legs seem to be fine. I definitely think it was dumb to have been stretching cold. Not sold yet on not stretching afterwards, but no ill effects yet. The experiment continues...

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

mikeymike

I haven't stretched since 1990. Or maybe it was '92.

Runners run

Gig

I used to stretch a little bit after runs if I felt like I needed it--if I felt tight. That was when my focus was mainly on running. Now my focus is on overall conditioning. I'm taking martial arts (Tang So Do) and I'm doing a bit of weight lifting. The weight lifting is very new for me, so I feel like if I don't stretch, it's going to hurt in a day or so. But also, I'm using many more muscles in karate so I want to condition them when I can, which means a lot more stretching after running and lifting because that's when their warmed up. I suppose I do what was very nicely defined early in this thread as "active" stretching in addition to the standard runners' stretches. This all makes sense in my mind. Now I'm wondering, for those who don't stretch, is your biggest focus running, or overall conditioning?

Queen of 3rd Place

In "Lore of Running", Noakes states that there is no evidence that stretching improves performance, although he doesn't address the role of stretching in injury avoidance. Then he goes on to outline a stretching routine, go figure. I suspect that people who feel worse when they stretch are overdoing it. I don't stretch formally, instead I just stretch like a cat, when I feel like it and for the pleasure in it. Arla

Ex runner

Mr R

USATF is conducting a study on the effect of pre-run stretching on probability of injury. Check out USATF.org if you're interested in being a test subject.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

uncontrollable

Warm muscles are more pliable & less likely to be strained while stretching. To me it makes sense & has worked for me forever & I'm old now! If you really like or want to stretch before you do your run: at least do 5 minutes or so of jumping jacks or something that really gets the blood moving & heats you up. That is always an option.

peace

milehighrunner

I have found that I run better when I do warm up drills before running rather than normal stretching. I usually stretch after a workout. Here is a helpful article. http://www.runningplanet.com/training/dynamic-versus-static-stretching.html

The Greatest of All Time

I rarely stretch and have the knotted calves to prove it. But when I do stretch it's usually after a run, never before.
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.