Active Sues RunSignUp for “Couch to 5K” (Read 188 times)

xhristopher

Folks who use Active should be aware of their latest move.

You can read more here: https://runsignup.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/active-sues-runsignup-for-couch-to-5k/

Similar to this situation, not long ago Specialized Bikes went after a little bike shop over an old name that it scooped up with a trademark. The corporate bullying move went viral and got ugly quickly for Specialized. The damage they were doing to their own brand was exponentially greater than the value of the shop they were going after. It all ended with the CEO of Specialized TREKing all the way out to Alberta to apologize in person.

Active continues to ignore lessons such as this. It's a wonder anyone uses them anymore.

Huh.  They act as if they were the inventors of "Couch to 5K"?!?  I think not.    I have noticed that many races are not using Active.com for signup anymore, rather choosing raceroster, runsignup or many other variants.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

kittenkatkk

English Villain

Love the American use of the word 'Folks', it's so um... American.

kittenkatkk

English Villain

And to the OP, I remember you jumping on a bandwagon of being in-explicitly nasty to me when I first came here, because other people were doing it.

So I'm just going to sit here now...

xhristopher

Huh.  They act as if they were the inventors of "Couch to 5K"?!?  I think not.    I have noticed that many races are not using Active.com for signup anymore, rather choosing raceroster, runsignup or many other variants.

Some folks even send in a check to avoid em.

spacityrunner

Some folks even send in a check to avoid em.

I have done that. But will avoid a race if active is the only option.

Trails Rock!

Daniel

Being new to running all the races, what is the problem with active? I've yet to sign up for anything with them but could here in the near future.

an amazing likeness

Being new to running all the races, what is the problem with active? I've yet to sign up for anything with them but could here in the near future.

Think of Active as [insert name of a corp you think of as evil].  Active is a machine with a strong focus on separating participants and race promoters from their cash.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Daniel

So Wal-Mart of the running world

Think of Active as [insert name of a corp you think of as evil].  Active is a machine with a strong focus on separating participants and race promoters from their cash.

an amazing likeness

So Wal-Mart of the running world

That's too complimentary, Walmart has a nice person at the door saying hello to you.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Daniel

Gotcha! so active won't smile while they push the dagger in your back

That's too complimentary, Walmart has a nice person at the door saying hello to you.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Gotcha! so active won't smile while they push the dagger in your back

Does Active even bother to stand behind you to stab you?

No personal experience with them. Mostly RaceRoster or RunningRoom here for registrations.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Gotcha! so active won't smile while they push the dagger in your back sign you up for an annual membership for $59.99.

Outside Lane

I blame Active Sara.

See how they run...

rlopez

Just to put a little context here, the actual original "Couch to 5k" thing was developed by a site called coolrunning. Now, it is true that there's not a lot of scientific rigor to it, but they were the first to market with that name. It was the work of 2-3 guys, actually. When active bought coolrunning, they bought the rights to the name. And proceeded to not give any credit whatsoever to the dudes involved with it. Because they are active and they are dicks.

Anyway.  There's just slightly more to the story than "nah, lots of people had a couch to 5k before active". Lots of people including good ol runners world had been doing plans to get people involved in running, but the name itself is what's in play here.