UK's best darts player (Read 335 times)

jules2

After reading about Tebow I thought I'd give you a glimpse of how we report about out best sports players by posting something from one of today's national papers..

The guy who wrote the article is quite small, whereas the subject is quite large I would love the film rights if they ever meet up, enjoy.

Hankey has become the latest, announcing his defection over the weekend. During the entire tournament, his heart has been at the Lakeside in only the most literal sense. That he managed to reach the semi-finals, despite not appearing to be bothered in the slightest, is testament to his profound, fascinating genius.

I like Hankey, which is strange given that he is one of the most charmless characters not just in darts, but in elite sport. The eye is more usually drawn to the game’s likeable characters — the ceaselessly chipper Ronnie Baxter, the wry James Wade, the peerlessly elegant John Lowe.

Conversely, in the 15 years I have been watching Hankey I am yet to discover what his smile looks like. He growls at spectators; his temper is foul and frequently in evidence; he looks, with his drawn expression and rounded features, like a Lucian Freud painting of a human testicle.

But his deep well of rage is also the fount of his appeal. Rarely do you see a professional sportsman who appears so thoroughly unimpressed to be doing what he does. It is glorious proof that all the money and talent in the world is powerless to prevent a miserable old git from being a miserable old git. This is best expressed in a televised exchange from a couple of years ago.

Hankey: “I’ve stopped drinking, so I feel healthier, look healthier and I am healthier.”

Ray Stubbs: “So you’re not going to the bar, then?”

Hankey: “No, I’m off outside for a cigarette.”

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

MrH

Have they added darts to the Summer Olympics?

My favourite was Andy 'The Viking' Fordham before he lost those couple of vanity pounds.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

#artbydmcbride

Tthe ceaselessly chipper, jules2!  Smile     How are you? 

Runners run

jules2

Tthe ceaselessly chipper, jules2!  Smile     How are you? 

Fine thank you and how is my SoCal surfer chick doing?

I've just won two trophies from my Tri club and one from my cycling club so I'm still managing to potter around a bit.

The combination of a sore knee and  a 13 mile fell race in two weeks times causes me some concern but hey ho.

There's some sort of sports event on in London in July / August come over and I'll show you a good timeWink

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.