Possible explanation for supplement and mortality correlation (Read 891 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Might be that people who take supplements feel they can eat/do whatever they want...

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/21/8933556-popping-a-multivitamin-can-lead-to-debauchery

Yes, it's a fairly small study.

Ex runner

MrH

"Multivitamins - the gateway drug"

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

#artbydmcbride

"...more likely to consider engaging in casual sex, sunbathing and binge-drinking."   Surprised

Runners run

"Trifecta, baby!"

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Julia1971

I guess I could see that being the reason but I'm not sure about the study methodology.  To show causality, wouldn't you need to do something like feed a bunch of cloistered nuns Flintstone vitamins for like a month, then plop them in Fort Lauderdale for a week and see how many of them become sex-crazed, sunbathing, binge-drinkers?  Seems like they didn't control for the possibility that the plecebo group was a more debauched group to begin with.  (Disclaimer: I'm a liberal arts major so I really have no idea what I'm talking about).

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

...see how many of them [nuns] become sex-crazed, sunbathing, binge-drinkers?  ...

I think running is doing something wrong to your brain.

Heh. (I took that out of context on purpose, to be funny.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I guess I could see that being the reason but I'm not sure about the study methodology.  To show causality, wouldn't you need to do something like feed a bunch of cloistered nuns Flintstone vitamins for like a month, then plop them in Fort Lauderdale for a week and see how many of them become sex-crazed, sunbathing, binge-drinkers?  Seems like they didn't control for the possibility that the plecebo group was a more debauched group to begin with.  (Disclaimer: I'm a liberal arts major so I really have no idea what I'm talking about).

Random assignment to experimental condition makes that highly unlikely.  

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Julia1971

I think running is doing something wrong to your brain.

Heh. (I took that out of context on purpose, to be funny.)

It definitely is.  Must be all the electrolyte products I'm drinking.

Seriously, I think I've stumbled upon a hit t.v. show.  I'd totally watch Real Nuns: Ft. Lauderdale.

Julia1971

Random assignment to experimental condition makes that highly unlikely.  

Okay...  I still like my experiment better.  Smile

Might be that people who take supplements feel they can eat/do whatever they want...

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/21/8933556-popping-a-multivitamin-can-lead-to-debauchery

Yes, it's a fairly small study.

Wow, just like when I take alcohol.  Then I can eat an entire xl sausage pizza, a dozen hot wings, AND dance like Michael Jackson.

Oh, mortality.  I thought it said morality. 

Never mind.

zonykel

"...more likely to consider engaging in casual sex, sunbathing and binge-drinking."   Surprised

Maybe I should start taking multi-vitamins Big grin

It reminds me of a study regarding driving habits. The more safety features a car has, the more likely it is for the driver to be less safe.

Queen of 3rd Place

Okay...  I still like my experiment better.  Smile

Girl, if I ever go back to research, you're hired!

Ex runner