Bikes? (Read 1955 times)

nemo1

I need help. I'm looking for a new bike or a new to me bike. I will be using it mostly to go to and from my apartment and school which is about 4.5 miles. Any suggestions?
      Most of the bike folks I work with ride Specialized bikes from cruisers to the hardcore racers. Outside of that I really have no advice.... I would love to own a nice bike I just don't live close enough (too inconvenient) to trails to shell the cash. If I move within 5 miles of work I'll start looking into one.

Vim

I see three options for a good commuting bike Hybrid Sort of a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike. They have tires that are wider but not really wide and knobby like a mountain bike. You'll sit more upright, which most people are more comfortable with. (Note: The hardcore cyclists usually scoff at the hybrids because they are an in between bike, but to them I say...I may have passed you at my last triathlon on your super expensive bike. Smile ) Road Just like the old ten-speed bikes. A good lower end road bike from Trek or Specialized will be with you a long time and allow you to get more serious about it if you want. Don't know the category this fits in but Trek makes a bike called the Pilot This looks like a road bike but the geometry makes you sit a little more upright and can be more comfortable for a commute. In any case, I would go to a local bike shop and talk to the people there about your needs and they can help you find a comfortable bike that fits you and your style. Hope this helps
        nemo1

In any case, I would go to a local bike shop and talk to the people there about your needs and they can help you find a comfortable bike that fits you and your style. Hope this helps
          Thanks for the help. I have gone to a local bike shop that sells both used and new bikes. I like to be informed so sales guys don't go after me cuz they think that because I'm a woman I don't know anything and I'm an easy mark. I'd hate to prove them right. Although, I'm not really worried about that at this store, they seem pretty honest. But, I also don't want to make an idiot of myself. The used bikes were all gone from Memorial day and I'm waiting for more to come in. And, the guy at the bike shop said something about fenders so it works better in all weather. Do you know anything about this?
            And, the guy at the bike shop said something about fenders so it works better in all weather. Do you know anything about this?
            I'm no authority on fenders but I do know that they can limit the water/mud spray off the tires. I don't have any kind of fender, but I either ride only on nice days or expect to get a little wet/dirty when I ride. It's not a bad idea to have something like that on a bike meant to actually get you somewhere for work/school/other. The other thing to remember is, negotiate the price and ask about tossing in extras like water bottle cages, water bottles, maybe even a bike computer (shows speed, time riding, etc.) Can't hurt to ask and you may end up with some free stuff!
              in. And, the guy at the bike shop said something about fenders so it works better in all weather. Do you know anything about this?
              If it is wet/muddy out - you will probably get splatters all up your back - after this happened to me during my test ride, I got a fender.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

COME ON! FENDERS? Ever seen the "HELL OF THE NORTH" ???

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I knew about Hell of the West, but not about Hell of the North apparently east and south are wimps Wink Great pics! - hey - when I can ride like that, then I will lose my fender Tongue

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

I knew about Hell of the West, but not about Hell of the North apparently east and south are wimps Wink Great pics! - hey - when I can ride like that, then I will lose my fender Tongue
                    Wrong "Hell of the North" Chenille. Good try and effort. But try searching "Paris Rubais". Spelling isn't right. Bonus points if you can find it. Big grin

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Do you mean Paris-Roubaix - France - as seen on Sunday Cyclism (love that word!!!) where the Aussie won? Are you surprised that I would know about that Wink Tongue American Flyers and Breaking Away are 2 fav moives of mine - collecting bonus points now Big grin

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

Do you mean Paris-Roubaix - France - as seen on Sunday Cyclism (love that word!!!) where the Aussie won? Are you surprised that I would know about that Wink Tongue American Flyers and Breaking Away are 2 fav moives of mine - collecting bonus points now Big grin
                        ((((Bing-Bing-Bing)))) We have a WINNER! WTG Chenille. I AM IMPRESSED! And your knowledge of the best 2 (maybe only) movies as well. That's SaWeeeeeet! Big grin I so do miss cycling. The best "Paris Roubaix" was when the Canadian (7-Eleven) beat the Belgian. Quiz: Can you name that Canadian? And better yet, can you find a picture of said cyclist to post or any "Paris Roubaix" shot will do for this thread on "fenders".

Ricky

Steve Bauer Did I mention I have dual citizenship? I am half Canadian Wink Actually, I am new to admiring bikers (but not to research Big grin) - LA converted me - the Tour de France is pretty impressive.

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Steve Bauer Did I mention I have dual citizenship? I am half Canadian Wink Actually, I am new to admiring bikers (but not to research Big grin) - LA converted me - the Tour de France is pretty impressive.
                            OMG Surprised You are too good Chenille. ( Face stuck in the smiley position) Man that's cool you finding that picture! I'm going to have to dig out a vhs of this race I've got somewhere stored in the basement now. That was the most guttsiest race I ever saw. Even better than LA's "Alpe du Huez"(wrong spelling) stage win. Steve Bauer. That race was his "Tour", "Daytona 500", his "Everest". It was glorious. Happy to share borders. Thanks so much. You've made my day! And Canadians are cool and I want to see Alaska before I pass. MTA: Sheeesh. My memory has failed me. Just read the link page to find out he "lost" the race by 2cm. To me it was as good as a win. That's the way I remembered it. Yes

Ricky

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Sorry, I missed this! How'z I gonna maintain my rep-u-tay-shun?!?!?! Anyway, yeah, look for a hybrid or a "city" bike. It'll be more robust, and it'll have attachment points for racks and fenders (which you do want, unless you can change clothes when you get where you're going). Also - DEFINITELY get a nice bright headlight and blinking taillight, and, of course, a helmet. In some places, lights (not just reflectors) are required in the early morning and later evening. Lucky you, with the bike commuting! did