"Training" for Boston while raising a newborn (Read 140 times)

eddiegotsole

Pavement Shredder

Just thought I'd add that if you get to Boston not fully trained, you can still enjoy the experience. When I ran it last year, I had been injured and missed 3 weeks of training in Feb-March and then came down with the flu 3 weeks before the marathon. I got to the start line but knew that I was under-prepared. Then it was a relatively warm, sunny day and I slow down a lot when the temperature gets up to 60. So I decided to just enjoy the day, back off the pace, and high-five every kid I passed. I had a great time.

So do whatever you can before now and then, get yourself to the starting line and just enjoy it. Walk if you have to when it gets rough (you won't be alone) and soak in the crowds and the energy. If you BQd once, you can do it again. This year will just be a course preview for you; next time you'll nail it.

This is a great idea!  I usually am so focused during a marathon that I don't have an opportunity to soak up most of the experience.  I've gotten a little better about picking my spots during a race to engage the crowd etc. but this would be a whole new experience for me!