Meteorite Hits Russia... (Read 132 times)

Better I Leave

Wow....

http://rt.com/news/russia-meteor-meteorite-asteroid-chelyabinsk-291/

What makes this even more freakier to me is that I had a dream the night before last where Marina and I were witnessing fireballs hitting town (ala Armageddon) and the ensuing shock waves.

Wow, is right.

Imagine that hitting in the US. How would everyone react to the initial reports, later confirmations, military denials, coverups and then the tin foil hat/conspiracy folks.

Meteor shower from last fall was pretty spectacular.

Get off my porch

Wing

Joggaholic

Glad that it's not big like this one.

Docket_Rocket

I read there were hundreds of casualties.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Feeling the growl again

Imagine that hitting in the US. How would everyone react to the initial reports, later confirmations, military denials, coverups and then the tin foil hat/conspiracy folks.

Apparently according to one source I read, at least one Russian official was claiming it to be an American weapons test.  Roll eyes

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

There was one here last year.  Not sure if it made landfall or broke apart.  I saw it as I was driving to work.  It was impossible not to notice but nothing like this one in Russia.

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2012/08/nj_couple_among_witnesses_who.html

MTA to add the negative

Not at it at all. 

catwhoorg

Labrat

I read there were hundreds of casualties.

Up over 1000, of which only a couple are more serious than a few cuts from broken glass.

Powerful sonic booms and glass are not a good combination.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Better I Leave

There was one here last year.  Not sure if it made landfall or broke apart.  I saw it as I was driving to work.  It was impossible to notice but nothing like this one in Russia.

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2012/08/nj_couple_among_witnesses_who.html

Last year, over the Sierra Nevada mtns, we heard the entry and subsequent disintegration of a meteorite. It was really weird. We heard it quite loudly and it sounded like a long protracted explosion. Some fragments were recovered just north of us.

http://news.yahoo.com/meteorites-found-calif-along-path-fireball-114207862.html

joescott

Apparently according to one source I read, at least one Russian official was claiming it to be an American weapons test.  Roll eyes

Vladimir Zhirinovsky, a nationalist leader noted for vehement statements, blamed the Americans.

"It's not meteors falling. It's the test of a new weapon by the Americans," the RIA Novosti news agency quoted him as saying.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Wing

Joggaholic

Infographics time?

Hey, cycling in there but not running, I am safe!

Well Walking and swimming were both in there as well.  We are very lucky to be runners.  Then again what is a runner again?  What pace do you have to be going to be considered a walker?

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                          • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                          • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Yup run, don't ever walk, because walking is 6 times more likely to get you killed as cycling and about as likely to be killed by a firearm

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

Thankyou Mother Russia for all the dash cam videos....

But in all seriousness, this is an ill omen of what can happen and we aren't prepared for anything 1/2 way to the worst case scenarios.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

Better I Leave

Hey, cycling in there but not running, I am safe!

I beat the lightning odds as I'm a lightning strike survivor. Fairview Dome, Yosemite 80ft from the summit we took a hit...and lived. Smile