RA workout data does not match Garmin (Read 259 times)

I load my runs directly from my Garmin 220 via USB import of .fit files. (Windows 7, Chrome)

My run this morning in the RA log shows 10.9 miles in 1:38:17. According to my Garmin history, it was 11.0 miles in 1:35:18.

The time difference appears to be due to RA using elapsed time & the Garmin using running time. The main discrepancy is in the first lap (2.7 mile warmup), which RA shows as 30:07 but the Garmin has at 27:50. I made a pit stop during that time, and stopped the watch. There also appears to be some time added on at the end, when I was stopped at a traffic light.

Not sure about the mileage discrepancy. Only 0.1 miles, so not a big deal, but I still think that's unusual. That difference is more spread out - my intervals were programmed to 1.5 miles, but RA shows them as 1.49.

Dave

I've never had any problems uploading from my 220.. until yesterday. Maybe it's a bug.

eric :)

Hi DavePNW,

Without seeing the original data, it would be hard to tell what the problem is.  Looking at your workout's map, the distance seems correct to me because it is recalculated based on the data, using a highly precise formula.  There are multiple formulas for calculating distance on a spheroid.  Most GPSes use a simplistic model because the calculations are fast.  RA uses a more complex model.  It's slower but more accurate.  If the data points are correct, then the distance should be fairly accurate.  The time is a different matter.  Again, I need to look at the original data to make the determination.  Please send it to support@runningahead.com.  Thank you.

eric Smile

an amazing likeness

Just want to add that I did a little test for this in my run tonight; I stopped for a drink of water and pushed "stop/start" on the watch while stopped, so there is a period of elapsed time with nothing being recorded:

Using a FR210, rather than FR220, so that is different.

Time "Elapsed Time"
          On FR210 1:06:46 n/a
          RunningAhead log 1:06:46.9 n/a
          Garmin Connect 1:06:47 1:07:21

Looks like it worked as expected -- all are reporting the run time consistently, and only GC notes there is a longer elapsed time.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Just want to add that I did a little test for this in my run tonight; I stopped for a drink of water and pushed "stop/start" on the watch while stopped, so there is a period of elapsed time with nothing being recorded:

Using a FR210, rather than FR220, so that is different.

Time "Elapsed Time"
            On FR210 1:06:46 n/a
            RunningAhead log 1:06:46.9 n/a
            Garmin Connect 1:06:47 1:07:21

Looks like it worked as expected -- all are reporting the run time consistently, and only GC notes there is a longer elapsed time.

Today is the first time this has happened. And it is pretty regular that I have a pit stop, so I would've noticed.

I've only seen this on the Graphs tab in the workout, when plotting Pace vs Splits. That pace figure seems to be based on elapsed time. Graphing Pace vs. Distance, and the paces showing on the Splits tab, always reflected running time.

Dave

toronosuke

I have a Forerunner 10 and use the 'Upload GPS Data.' I'm having the exact same problem in the last few days. Never had it before.

the problem is also limited to runningahead for me, I tried a few other sites to test if it was my watches problem and they worked fine.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

I upload here and at Endomondo.  Both show the same distance and pace overall, but RA marks the lap times as elapsed and Endo uses running time.

Not a big deal to me, really, but I thought I'd add it.  Garmin 110.

The problem also only happens on some runs, nut never happened until Monday.

It's definitely switched to elapsed time, rather than when my watch was running. On a normal day I wouldn't care but I was at the track today and it is counting the time for my rests...any help would be great.

PRs...

5k - 19:04

10k - 40:25

15k - 1:02:12

Half - 1:27:27

Full - 3:01:33
                      Goals...

5k - sub-19

10k - sub-40

15k - sub 1:01

Half - sub-1:27

Full - sub-3:00

Hi all,

This problem was caused by a prior fix, where certain FIT data files did not list all the splits.  I added code to detect the missing splits and to recalculate all the workout stats.  Like many of you have suggested, the problem is indeed caused by stopping your watch during your workouts.  RA currently does not support "holes" in your data.  I have plans to add support for it, but it won't be ready in the near term due to backward compatibility issues.

I have made a patch for this bug and it is being deployed.  If you are affected by this bug, you will need to re-import the affected workouts.

As a side note, you should not stop your watch during the run. The workouts do not reflect the stoppage (unless you create a distance vs duration graph), thus giving you a distorted picture of your workouts.  Instead, you should start a new lap to mark the duration of your rest, and then another new lap when you resume your run.

eric Smile

kcam

If you have a patch for this bug deployed does this mean we can continue to 'stop' our watches during runs or do we need to 'lap' them?

Lapping the watch instead of stopping it will take quite a bit of focus (changing an ingrained habit and all).  And then when it's imported into RA having to go back in and delete the 'inactive' laps.  Never mind those that use Auto Stop mode on their GPS watches.    IMHO this is a major problem and I'd request a high priority to fixing it.

Hi Ken,

The fix should skip laps that provide lap data so if you stop your watch, the stoppage time will not be included in the lap time.

eric Smile

problem still not fixed. On my run this morning all data was good except for a random extra lap that was added.

problem still not fixed. On my run this morning all data was good except for a random extra lap that was added.

This is not a bug.  Rather, there are extra data points that are outside of the laps reported by the GPS.  The system deemed them to be important enough to be included as a lap so it creates a new lap for them.