Treadmill or Elliptical? (Read 561 times)

Hi, all - It is finally too snowy and cold for me to run safely (5AM) here in Boston - on a consistent basis, anyway. Christmas gift from my husband this year is going to be either a treadmill or an elliptical machine...wondering what you runners would suggest? I'm new to running (6 months), and am so worried about losing my "momentum", if it happens that lousy weather keeps me from getting out there! Which machine would allow for a better workout / more closely approximate the conditioning that comes from running? TIA and happy holidays!
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

I would definitely get a treadmill. I use an elliptical only when I'm injured and can't run.
      Hannibal Granite

While I really don't like running on a treadmill it is still running, but it is not the same as running outside. I usually hurt more after running an easy run on the treadmill than after running a hard run outside. Based on my experiences I personally think think there are some mechanical differences between outside overland running and treadmill running, but there is great debate on this. That being said I still run on the treadmill once in awhile when the weather is bad. Depending on the machine the elliptical can be a great workout and a lot less impact, I have used the elliptical when I was injured and maintained most of my fitness. To get the same workout on an elliptical you have to go harder and/or longer and it still isn't running specific. Either way I'd rather run outside even if it is dark and cold. If I had that choice I would go with the elliptical, but that's b/c my wife would use it to and I would use it to do a 2nd lower impact workout late in the day.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

It's very helpful to get the feedback - thanks for your responses!
            I have both, the treadmill is the most like running, but I also find it harder than running outside. I have to slow down my pace and ease into getting used to it. The elliptical is actually probably a better cardio workout, but you don't use the same muscles in the same way as running. It is good for cross-training, especially if I have an injury because there's virtually no impact. If I had to choose one machine though, I'd go with the treadmill. You can always use if for walking as cross-training, but it's virtually impossible to simulate running on the elliptical.