Am I Capable of More? (Read 1159 times)

Just as Outee stated, I'm very interested in this as well. Like both of you, I've been hovering in the mid 30's for a few months now and was looking to take that up to 50 by 1/1/09. Is it too much? I don't know but I do know that there is only one way to find out.
    mikeymike

Just as Outee stated, I'm very interested in this as well. Like both of you, I've been hovering in the mid 30's for a few months now and was looking to take that up to 50 by 1/1/09. Is it too much? I don't know but I do know that there is only one way to find out.
      Exactly. What's the worst that happens? You wear down and have to back off a bit? Big deal. The key is to find your limit and run just below that for the long term. Avoid big highs and lows and stay consistent. Take a long range view and stay on the road. I'd be surprised if you (makers, Outee, Chaloo) can't handle mid 50's consistently at this point especially if you take the easy days very easy. And the difference come spring will be very significant.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Agreed.
        Wink Those of you looking to make a mileage jump, looking at my log over the last month might give you confidence. Would you believe me if I told you my legs feel fresher this morning than they did four weeks ago? That the last 7 days of 80+ miles have left me feeling less sore than the first week of 50? It's true. But realize this: most of my running has been at MP+1:30 or slower. It's been on grassy, flattish surfaces. I've done no hard workouts, just a tempo once a week or so. And some strides every now and then. I start my runs very slowly, probably MP + 2:30, until the legs are warmed up. One or two more weeks of this sort of running, and I will begin to sharpen and add intensity. If you listen to your body, and run easy, you can make the jump this week.
          I'd be surprised if you (makers, Outee, Chaloo) can't handle mid 50's consistently at this point especially if you take the easy days very easy. And the difference come spring will be very significant.
          In the spring, running 40+ a week was nothing, and I was also finishing up my senior year in college while working full time doing valet of all things - so I would actually run an extra chunk of miles each week.... I'm thinking that now that I am on my own, in an office during the day with flexible hours and whatnot - I can easily make this work for me.
            But realize this: most of my running has been at MP+1:30 or slower. It's been on grassy, flattish surfaces. I've done no hard workouts, just a tempo once a week or so. And some strides every now and then. I start my runs very slowly, probably MP + 2:30, until the legs are warmed up. One or two more weeks of this sort of running, and I will begin to sharpen and add intensity. If you listen to your body, and run easy, you can make the jump this week.
            This will be the most difficult part for me, as I HATE running slow, but I know I must realize that running slow a lot won't hurt me and throw me off, but instead will only improve my running capabilities in the long run. Definitely awesome.
            kcam

This will be the most difficult part for me, as I HATE running slow, but I know I must realize that running slow a lot won't hurt me and throw me off, but instead will only improve my running capabilities in the long run. Definitely awesome.
              I overcame the same problem lately by running lots (for me) of miles. I find that I naturally back off on pace to whatever I need to enable myself to run every day. For me, the goal is not to run fast in training it's to run LOTS in training, and EVERY day. I've run for more than 15 years and since I started doing this (only the past year) I have lowered my PR's in every distance I've raced. I'm 47 now and I set my previous HalfMarathon PR when I was 38 - this year I lowered it by 5 minutes. I attribute that to volume, not speed work. We'll see how it translates to the marathon as I've got two coming up before the end of the year. Point is, once you get mileage up you will see improvements without even doing any speed work. Then if you do one of those plans you will absolutely amaze yourself with the times you can run relative to where you are now.
              Eustace Tierney

YoYo

If you want to run slow try running at 6:00 am. I always ran way too fast and maybe i,m still a bit too fast but running so early has really forced me to slow up. I have to start slow or something will give. It takes a couple of miles to loosen up but by then i usually have found a nice relaxed rhythm. It also gives you a chance to concentrate on your running form. I've been running early mornings now for about 6 weeks and I,m really starting to enjoy it. I have the whole evening free then. Hey! when I get really fit I can start doubling up!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

I ran today - I was going to do an easy four miles - and it turned into an easy six. By easy, I did a 9:20 pace, which used to be a recovery pace for me, but I figure I need to get used to running like that. Still working with everything of course, but nonetheless, planning on ramping up the mileage in the next 7-8 weeks.