Replacing runners so soon? (Read 1208 times)

Runningaround5

I'm having this awful foot arch pain, while it could be an injury, this happened when I first started running last year. I had old runners and it went away as soon as I got new ones. However the runners I'm in now are only a couple months old and only have about 130 Kms on them. Has anyone had this before?

AnnQ

That doesn't sound like enough running for the shoes to be worn out. You may need a different style of shoe. Did you go to a running specialty store to get fitted?  Another thing that can help is replacement insoles for your shoes to give you more support

Also for this kind of pain, look up stretches and exercises for plantar fasciitis.  Stretching your calves especially helps. Also I found that wearing supportive shoes throughout the day.  I used to get this off and on but as I became more and more consistent with my running I find I don't get it anymore.

Runningaround5

The more I'm thinking about it, I think it may be what I'm wearing when I'm not running. I love Toms. I don't wear very supportive shoes.

Duke of Douchebaggery

130km (80 miles I think, for those of us metrically impaired) is not typically enough mileage to wear out your typical trainer.  I say "trainer" because there is a big difference between a heavier 8-13oz training shoe and a 5-7oz (or less) racing shoe.  Sometimes incorrectly called a "flat", the racing shoe is intended to weigh a lot less and have less cushion so you get more energy return per stride.  They will sometimes wear out in that amount of time but unless your bio-mechanics are really, really good you shouldn't be running in those at all.

Do you have high arches?  If so, you probably also have very stiff feet.  This means you may need to consider a more cushioned and supportive insole.  Some people like the superfeet ones but they are almost too stiff for people with high arches so the spenco total support insoles are kind of the opposite end of the spectrum.  You may need to try a few different ones before you find the right type.

Do you have flat feet?  If so, it's a similar issue but then you probably need custom orthotics.  Any decent podiatrist should be able to set you up with a pair that will last you for quite a few shoe rotations.

Also, consider alternating two pairs of running shoes.  Meaning, buy two different models or even brands that are your type of shoe.  (neutral, stability, etc.)  Then alternate the two pairs every run.  The result is that your feet will be supported differently with each run and prevent some overuse problems some people get.  Also, it will give you a chance to try different models until you find the right one for you.  At some point I had more than 30 pairs of running shoes on the floor of my closet.  (it's kind of a running joke on the L&O)

Finally, get better shoes to wear when you aren't running.  The time running is time when you are bashing the crap out of your feet.  The time when you aren't running is the time to heal.  If you don't put your feet in decent shoes with good arch support then you are not really giving your feet time to heal between runs.  I have had good luck with birkenstocks and keens but everyone is different.

You'll ruin your knees!

Whew!  For a minute, I thought we were all being replaced...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Right on Hereford...

If you don't put your feet in decent shoes with good arch support then you are not really giving your feet time to heal between runs.

Why do arches need support?

mikeymike

Whew!  For a minute, I thought we were all being replaced...

I thought it was a thread about Nate Brannen being dropped by Saucony

Runners run

Duke of Douchebaggery

Your feet bear the weight of your body.  If you aren't running or stressing the feet a lot then you probably don't need as much arch support.  However, running will sometimes fatigue the muscles in the foot and then additional arch support helps take some of the burden off of that supportive function in the foot.

BTW, not everyone necessarily needs the same amount of arch support either.  People with flat feet or especially high arches definitely have more issues than those who do not have either extreme.

Right on Hereford...

running will sometimes fatigue the muscles in the foot and then additional arch support helps take some of the burden off of that supportive function in the foot.

Moving around will sometimes fatigue the muscles in the body and then a wheelchair helps take some of the burden off of that supportive function in the body.

Do you "need" a wheelchair because you are fatigued?

I need less arch support now that I've been running for a while.  Before I took up running I had to wear orthotics or else I would get a lot of pain in my arches if I was on my feet too much, but now that I've been running for a couple years I don't need them anymore.  Not to say some people don't need some arch support for running of course--my arches are pretty average I think, not too high but definitely not flat feet either.

Duke of Douchebaggery

Everyone is different.  It sounds like Dakota RR doesn't need as much arch support as others and LizC needed more initially.

Personally, I am a midfoot striker with high arches so I put a pretty good beating on my feet so I try to be aware of arch support when I'm not running.

In the end, we are all an experiment of one.

Why do you need sunglasses on a sunny day?

---------

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Moving around will sometimes fatigue the muscles in the body and then a wheelchair helps take some of the burden off of that supportive function in the body.

Made me laugh this morning!

steph  

My arches are very high and the last thing they need is support - they are happiest in flip flops, TOMS, flats, etc.  I do like cushion in my running shoes, but not "support." If possible, go to a proper running shoe store and get fitted for a shoe that is right for you.

A bed would be more comfortable than the ground but I suppose some would like to do things the hard way.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius