Be careful everyone (Read 1996 times)

pandajenn19

The one who most floats his boat. You're trying to apply rational processes to irrational behavior.
    Maybe it's naive of me, but I tend to believe that most 'bad guys' short of the true psychopaths are looking for the easier mark. Maybe not the easiest, but the one that appeals and is also easy. A true psychopath isn't going to care if you look easy or not I would imagine. But most of the people we have to worry about when out in the big bad world aren't at that level of evil.

Imminent Catastrophe

The one who most floats his boat. You're trying to apply rational processes to irrational behavior.
      This ain't Hollywood. Just because someone's a sociopath does not mean they are insane or "irrational". Most predators are career criminals, not flat-out crazy, in fact many are very intelligent, are good at what they do and make a careful, calculated, rational (in their minds) decision in picking a victim, based on the likelihood of success, as well as what "floats their boat". That's how they survive to stalk again and again. Re-read my post that started this thread--the guy clearly was carefully stalking and planning, and decided that she was not the right victim. The next day he found Meredith, even (my theory) using his dog to lower her guard. She was an easier target. Echh. I'm through with this thread.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

And, carry the full ones for awhile. Big grin Seriously. While living in the city, I had some arse give me, well, crap, just as I was picking up after one of my two dogs. He beat a hasty retreat after I threw the poop at him. What a maroon! I did pick it up again while hurling expletives in his general direction. I'm not sure he heard as he went away quickly. Creative ammunition people. Just stay creative. It confounds the enemy.
        You just inspired a new thread. Don't miss it. All about poop bags.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

The few times I've taken a shot in the groin, I've been completely immobilized for at least 30-60 seconds. Dead
          You go for the eyes not the groin. If you get them in the eyes good they can't see, a kick in the groin just pisses them off.
          JakeKnight

A gun is worthless, unless you have been trained to use it and are fully prepared to pull the trigger.
            And sometimes, sadly, it can be even worse than useless, even when you are trained and ready: http://news.aol.com/story/_a/cop-shot-to-death-with-her-own-gun/20080129164309990003?ncid=NWS00010000000001

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Len

Damn Yankee

And sometimes, sadly, it can be even worse than useless, even when you are trained and ready: http://news.aol.com/story/_a/cop-shot-to-death-with-her-own-gun/20080129164309990003?ncid=NWS00010000000001
              Fighting for 7 minutes while you wait for backup is BS. Trained and ready or not. Be vigilant when you run. Carry what makes you confident. Decide while you lace up your shoes that you are not going to be a victim. There are exceptions, but most predators are cowards and will prey upon those they sense are weak and helpless.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Imminent Catastrophe

Epilogue... The scumbag who killed Meredith (I refuse to use his name) pleaded guilty today, he was sentenced to life. Regrettably, he avoided the death penalty in exchange for leading police to her body. Even the presiding judge said she wished she could sentence him to death. He is still suspected in several other murders in the area.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

... The best weapon is situational awareness. That helps in two ways: 1. You will be able to see and react to a potential threat quicker. 2. Predators can spot who is "situationally aware" and who isn't. Given the choice of one person who clearly is aware of her surroundings, and another who is obliviously cruising along with iPod blasting, guess who will be the more likely victim?
                  Absolutely! Re 2. above : To determine how criminals picked their victims, researchers had prisoners look at films/videos of people walking down the street and say whether or not they would pick them as a target. The people walking down the street had been selected so as to provide a real test for the cons. Surprise, surprise. The researchers had no clue as to how to pick a victim by observation - the bad guys seemed to have a "sixth sense" based on observing how people walked, how they carried themselves, etc. A big guy who looked like he might be tough to subdue was picked as an "easy pickings" target. A slightly-built woman in a business suit carrying a briefcase elicited a "uh, no - not her - ", ... she was, in fact, a police officer (armed at the time, concealed). Another guy who was fairly lightly built and balding, got a response of "not him... doesn't feel right"... a wise choice - he was ex Special Operations who had served in Vietnam, etc. Re 1. above, etc. : One of my instructors emphasized the "hierarchy of survival" : 1. Awareness 2. Preparedness 3. Tactics 4. Skill (in use of tools, equipment, etc) 5. Equipment The most important is AWARENESS! Without that, nothing else matters. We wont go into the others here, but obviously you need to be prepared to handle things, need to have the right ideas about what to do (tactics), etc... You need to be prepared to take action to protect yourself, to survive. You need to be able to react instantaneously, without thinking about it. I'm running on too long here... Stay safe
                    There's a decent book on this stuff -- how to listen to your fear and not become a worry wart at the same time. It's called The Gift of Fear : Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence, and the author is Gavin DeBecker.
                    I must second the recommendation of this book. Every woman (and man, for that matter) should read it. Seriously. Buy it.