2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

runethechamp

In other (Norwegian) news from Monaco, Filip Ingebrigtsen sets new national record in the 1500 with 3:30:01 and his younger, 17-year old brother Jakob sets a new U18 world European record with 3:31:18, which is also under the previous national record. Unreal.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

AceHarris

rlk: That's right, it's the Ouray 100 for Max. In regards to mile repeats: Like you they've become a good indicator of fitness and performance for me. I don't see any sane reason to avoid them.

RA is doing that weird thing where there are missing posts and I can't tell if I'm actually caught up or missing 10 posts.

Vaporfly shoes. IF they work for you, you might as well wear them. Also, was the argument by Nike that they provided 4% more power or increased efficiency by 4%? Or neither?

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Also, was the argument by Nike that they provided 4% more power or increased efficiency by 4%? Or neither?

Each step comes w/ a 4% surcharge.

RTC ~ Unreal is a good word.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

surcharge haha. A+

Jager looks pretty effortless in the top pack

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Jager in lead, 5:58 with 2 laps left

and he got overtaken by bakkali at the bell

and bakkali won in 7:58

jager 2nd in 8:01

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

runethechamp

Jager in lead, 5:58 with 2 laps left

and he got overtaken by bakkali at the bell

and bakkali won in 7:58

jager 2nd in 8:01

Jager looked cooked on that last lap.

Getting back into it

EJ fell off pace too much from 1-2K.

pepperjack

pie man

The final barrier fall race looms large in hindsight.  Maybe even a little at the time, too.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

The final barrier fall race looms large in hindsight.  Maybe even a little at the time, too.

That was agonizing to watch.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - An impromptu FE like that could be fun. There are several boutique breweries/tap houses around you'd probably enjoy. You have had similar heat, I think. The humidity might be a change for you - didn't you say a while back that yours was a "dry heat"? I don't think it would take much for you to get used to, though. Fortunately the forecast looks like we'll get some cooler temps later next week.
                      I think that Daniels' M paces fit in the grand theory of paces (my others line up pretty well), but most people fall short on endurance for a marathon and there's no easy way to figure out en masse what the difference between "theoretical" M pace and "actual" M paces are. I think the intensity of Daniels' M pace fits, though, in the context of how far most of us will put in during training, though.
                      Oh, and you're a good bit ahead of me in mileage, shooting for 70mpw. I agree with Oregon regarding your upcoming workout and mileage.

DWave - 86-87% max HR for a marathon is massive. *insert bowing emoji*

Oregon - Working from home is nice for getting those runs in, isn't it? I WFH a few times a week and plan on getting in some easy doubles once the weather cools down. Or maybe I should just move the treadmill into my office...

RLK - I think football (soccer) is the European football. The stands sure were packed, though.

Ace - I think it's 4% more "efficient", not that that translates to 4% faster.

Monaco - Had to look up the race on youtube. Chepkoech flat out ran away with that one. Coburn was passed on the bell lap?
                      Maybe it's just my lack of familiarity with track races such as this, but I would think that someone running a WR like that would basically be spent and not able to dance around track like that afterwards...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

pepperjack

pie man

It's happens.  Look at Ayana after her 10,000 WR in Rio.  She looks slightly winded at worst.

Monaco's football team has a budget of like 180 million.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Jim E

Trying to catch up here, but I just read rlk's post about her coach and mile repeats/intervals. Um. I'm going to put my coach hat on for a minute and say that his apparent reasons for avoiding mile workouts are legit, but not so much if you don't race miles. Since I started giving workouts to other people and getting feedback from them, I've come to respect the mental aspects more and more. You should probably discuss it with him. BTW, If I was doing miles off the track, I would probably set the Garmin to auto-lap at 400m to make it a bit more track-like, but that's just my preference. I'm the sort of nut that runs tempos on the track.

runethechamp

Oregon - My goal is 1:32:56 in, gasp, 2 weeks. As long as the weather cooperates I think I can do that.

In my two marathons my average HR was 166 2 years ago (86%), and 164 in March (84%) so I guess I'm very close to the overall 85%. Funny how that has worked out...

Getting back into it

Jim E

Vaporflys - Interesting article, and well-written, particularly on the caveats when using data collected from Strava. I do not want those shoes to be 4% better (compared to what?). The price is outrageous. As for Cragg, yes she changed coaches, but there could also be a shoe component, because I don't think Brooks has a really good Marathon shoe these days.

AceHarris

Bummer about Xavier Thevenard at the HR 100. Apparently DQ for receiving aid that was not at an aid station. That has to suck.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)