Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Damn great photo Flavio. There's some hurt there !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Am I the only one who assumed Flavio was a dead ringer for Alfred E. Neuman?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Darkwave i had to Google that but I remember those old MAD magazines from the late 70s 

Flavio looks ripped and not the pastry addict I remember from 6 years ago.

Resident Historian

In case you ALL wanted to feel not-so-old, my first recollection of Major League Baseball was the Brooklyn(!) Dodgers winning the pennant on the last day of the season, avoiding a playoff when St. Louis lost elsewhere. I had the flu or something, and listened to the afternoon game on the radio. 1956. Two seasons later the Dodgers moved to LA.

I've been plodding along at about 20 mpw (some weeks 25, some 15) for a while. My motivation to do more has definitely slipped with no races on the horizon here, but I continue to battle muscle pulls.  I thing I need to get back to heavy weight training, but I'm not keen on going to a gym (which are allowed to open here now).

Extrovert-Introvert: I'm towards the introvert side, but I do enjoy group runs, including track workouts (although it's getting harder to find runners doing serious track work close to the paces I'd have to run them). I like socializing with runners too -- they have important things to talk about; non-runners, umm, less so....  To modify darkwave's line a little "...being with random* others drains me, and being by myself recharges me."
          * with no common interests

My wife is a swimmer rather than a runner, but similar on the E/I scale. As we're both (mostly) retired, we can both enjoy our own interests and activities in the same house, just knowing the other is close by. WE may sometimes interrupt each other's train of thought to interact, but that usually doesn't bother us much.

Glad to see you Kiwis are getting races in now, with COVID back to minimal levels. We'd come visit for an extended period (even with the 14-day quarantine requirement) if we could get in. Community cases are not terrible around here, but we have to be very careful.

Marky Mark, congrats on the new job; is the EY position in a similar role to PWC?

Flavio - Nice pic, and good running!

James - Hope you son gets over the appendix  quickly. I had my appendix out years ago; it burst before they could get to it, which meant a long recovery to clean up the infection.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Marky_Mark_17

Question for the marathon runners on here - I'm still feeling pretty sluggish and fatigued even during easy runs 11 days after the marathon (I've been running, but mostly very easy and mileage is well down).  How long after a marathon do you normally start to feel normal again?  My last one was a long time ago and I can't really remember tbh.

I'm considering skipping NZ Road 10k Champs as I just don't think it's a good idea to try and beat myself into shape in the next 2.5 weeks unless I feel miraculously better this weekend.  The half at the end of November seems like a more realistic target.

Flavio - QUADZILLA!!

Longboat- yes, doing basically exactly the same thing, just getting paid more,

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - how long does it take for you to recover from a half? For me, I've tried workouts 4 days after and bombed, but I'm usually good 7 days after. It should be similar for the marathon, just double. I looked back at last spring, which was the only time I tried to race a half after a marathon (4.5 weeks later). I didn't run my first workout until 2.5 weeks after. I feel that I recover very well from racing, but marathons are very rough.

Me - haven't really given an update, just been chiming in. I'm back to running all my workouts. My foot issues, whether they're Achilles or plantar (frankly, both areas have hurt so I don't know) are feeling better, but not 100%. But I'm very happy with the progress.

I've realized recently that even though I'm in a 5K/10K cycle, my skillset is still overly skewed towards threshold and marathon paced runs. Almost everyone who talks about VDOT calculators, or any calculator for that matter, talk about how difficult it is to hit the equivalent marathon pace for a given lactate threshold or VO2 max pace. I am slowly getting into old man territory, i.e. I had to work very hard during my MP workout this past Sunday to slow down. I was able to hit 6:02 average pace, with a few miles in the 5:5X range for my 10 miles at MP this past weekend. I tried running a VDOT that was actually slower than a 6:02 equivalent for my 1200 workout Tuesday and got absolutely smoked.

It's amazing how after years of training it's still all there, even if you haven't done any marathon work since March.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

Is NZ Road Champs in Auckland?  If so, I think you should race it.  Being SLIGHTLY under prepared for race pace is minor.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - yeah 7 days after a half I'm normally good to go.  I figure I'll see how I'm feeling on the weekend as that would be 2 weeks since the race.  Thanks for the help.

Watson - yes, it's in Auckland.  But given it's National Champs, I don't want to go in there unless I can give something very close to my best.  I had an awesome race there last year and I don't want to tarnish that by underperforming this time around.  Given JMac's comments, I'm going to see how I feel on the weekend then make the call.  The other factor is that the race is in the middle of the day... it could be seriously hot if today is anything to go by!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

LOL you guys, awesome reactions!

Jmac - did you guys just stop bantering and joking around when you started working from home?

Or do you feel like doing that in video calls is not the same?

LOL at your reference, indeed 9 and a half hours is way too long 

Darkwave - When not grimacing I do look like that dude, in fact, this joke started when somebody pointed at me and said “MAAD” at a hostel years ago.

Longboat - precisely, when people are talking stuff that is of my interest it does not drain me as much.

me - in other news spitting is forbidden at the next race. That will require quite a bit of concentration. I'm gross, I know...

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JamesD

JamesD

My upper hamstring/glute trouble is getting worse.  It's been 2-1/2 weeks since it resurfaced, and for a while I thought I was gradually improving.  For the first several days, the soreness (not sharp pain) would start in the hamstring at the beginning of a run and then move into the glute after a while, and the soreness would gradually decline some, though never vanish, and I could "speed up" to just a slow pace.  Yesterday it hurt a bit more, and today the glute soreness was worse at the start, and even after it diminished, it was still too much for me to feel like continuing was a good idea, so I bailed after 15 minutes of plodding.  Time to call medical folks.  Good thing my swimming has been going well (unless, that is, the swimming is aggravating the glute somehow).

P.S.  In case I didn't catch all the autocorrect "fixes," the soreness is always in my glute and never in my flute.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

My upper hamstring/glute trouble is getting worse.  It's been 2-1/2 weeks since it resurfaced, and for a while I thought I was gradually improving.  For the first several days, the soreness (not sharp pain) would start in the hamstring at the beginning of a run and then move into the glute after a while, and the soreness would gradually decline some, though never vanish, and I could "speed up" to just a slow pace.  Yesterday it hurt a bit more, and today the glute soreness was worse at the start, and even after it diminished, it was still too much for me to feel like continuing was a good idea, so I bailed after 15 minutes of plodding.  Time to call medical folks.  Good thing my swimming has been going well (unless, that is, the swimming is aggravating the glute somehow).

P.S.  In case I didn't catch all the autocorrect "fixes," the soreness is always in my glute and never in my flute.

Are you able to use a massage ball in the area or is it too tender?

Piriformis/Glutes

Piriformis massage ball

Hamstring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7dYwqNfkG0

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JamesD

JamesD

Are you able to use a massage ball in the area or is it too tender?

I foam roll my hamstrings and my glutes (as well as my quads & calves) about 20 minutes before & after running.  Used the vibrating roller this morning because there was more soreness; it seemed to help briefly, but when I started my run (better described as a shuffle), the soreness was worse than in previous days.  If it was too tender to roll, I wouldn't try to run.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm convinced at this point foam rollers are useless. Not rolling, just foam rolling. They're not firm enough and don't do nearly the work either a lacrosse type ball, the stick, or a true vibrating massage would do.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

With an image like that Mick will be here soon 

Mark I somehow got watching on YouTube yesterday the 10k nz road champs from 1992. Jono Wyatt won in sub 29 mins. He went on to be one of the greatest mountain runners of all time.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Jono Wyatt pipped me for first in my first ever half.  He set a course record of 1:02:37 that day and went on to come 6th at the Commonwealth Games marathon later that year.

I started foam rolling about 6 years ago because the physio thought tight ITB's were causing my knee pain (pain so extreme I could barely run once a week during 2010-2012 and was probably a 2 hour half-marathoner).  I do it 3-4 times a week for 3 sets now and haven't had trouble with that knee for years.  I changed up my training with the coach too but I think the foam rolling made a big difference.  I couldn't put any pressure on at the start now I can do it with both legs in the air.

Mark -  I disagree with watson - don't do it if you're not fully recovered.  I know I haven't done a full but I do have experience in miscalculated recovery.  If I don't do it right, if I'm lucky I get away uninjured but in a few weeks every run will be a hard slog in terms of both fitness and leg soreness.  I'd take a couple more light weeks then build for Mt Maunganui.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024