not a half--marathoner (Read 959 times)

A Saucy Wench

Mommy - you are SO a half marathoner!!!! Whether you choose to do another one or not is up to you, but you did great. The first time at those long miles is always a challenge!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mommy - you are SO a half marathoner!!!! Whether you choose to do another one or not is up to you, but you did great. The first time at those long miles is always a challenge!
      Yup. And you already know a few things to do differently next time. My 2nd HM was a year after my first and I knocked over 10 minutes off of my time. I think that second one was easier, too. I had run that distance many more times after the first attempt, so I knew what pacing worked better. I had also run the actual course a couple of times, so I knew where the hillier parts were and what to anticipate. Don't give up on it. You did great for having had such a rough second half of the race. The next time will definitely be much better, I promise! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JimR

I was so nervous, when I went to pick up my race packet, my hands were actually trembling. No wonder the guy asked for my ID, he probably thought I was a weirdo. Who gets that nervous just picking up a packet?
        I've done that. Something about the excitement of getting the official race stuff. Not much anymore mind you. Halfs are actually a great distance to run! If you've got good speed, you can run a half pretty hard. Or, if you prefer to enjoy the event moreso than shoot for PRs, the half is plenty long enough to socialize a bit, take in the scenery, make a day of it. My first race was a 5k that accompanyed a big half marathon event. I remember watching these folks finish the half and I couldn't believe that many people were able run 13 miles. Fastforward to now (7 years later), 13 miles is a Sunday run for me.