2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

jayluf

Better late then never, here's last week. Had a great down mileage week overall that included a workout with a good bit at 10k effort then a really tough long run.

Coming up on my first half since Sept 2017 next weekend. Really looking forward racing again. Fitness I think is close to sub 1:21 - should be fun!

Weekly Summary
    Monday, Feb 11, 2019 thru Sunday, Feb 17, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Day Miles Pace Description Link
    Tue 6.0 8:25 Easy & chill strava
    Wed 10.4 6:57 Workout Wednesday- 20min @ 10K, ending faster strava
    Thu 6.0 8:17 HVD miles strava
    Fri 4.1 8:17 Friyay shake strava
    Sat 20.0 6:53 SLR w/ 8 x 1 mile @ HM effort strava
    Sun 7.3 7:49 Sunday Runday w/ 4x30s strava
      53.8 7:28
    Swim5599

Jay good looking week

i got 86 in with a 41 inch snow storm

mon 8 with strides 8:07

tue 8 with strides 8:10

wed Am 9 with 35 min at Mp power (6:23)

PM 9 with 5x3:00 at VO2 power (5:25)

thurs 8 8:12

fri AM 9 with 35 min at MP power (6:25) on dreadmill

PM 9 with 3x16:00 just over MP power (6:09) on mill

sat 8 8:15

sun 18 as 73 min easy then 50 minutes at MP power (6:30)

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

madisonrunner

17.1 (around Camp Randall, woo! 

ZZ - Did you just do loops around Camp Randall for this 17?  I have found the Southwest Path is in decent shape for running.  That's the only place in town I've been able to find relatively decent footing for more than a block or so.  Have you found anywhere else to run a few miles without constantly dodging ice or trudging through snow/slush? I've been in the Shell for all of my speedwork.

My week - 103 miles

Tuesday - VO2 max - 6x1200m @ ~5:06/mile  (3:48, 3:48, 3:48, 3:51, 3:58, 3:58) - I fell off the pace for 5 and 6 (and a bit for 4).  I guess it's a good sign I'm training at a hard enough level as this was the first workout in a long time I wasn't able to complete as planned.  VO2 max workouts are always the hardest for me.

Sunday - 18.5 total, 12 miles at MP (5:48/mile).  126 total indoor laps!  Pace was comfortably hard but biggest challenge was probably the monotony.

Next week - 105 miles total, including a 7 mile LAT and a 22 mile long run.

finbad

Jayluf - Good week. Good luck for the half.

Swim - nice polarised week again. That's a shit-ton of snow.

Madison - That is awesome training. Another big bump to come off the PR if you can keep it all on track.

Me: Mon- Wed all easy stuff, basically felt tapered after 3 days off last week. Thursday 20 mins of tempo (5:43ish) felt under control. Decided to run the monthly 3k race on Friday lunchtime and ran a new PR (9:39), particularly pleased about my decision making since I had a lovely sheltered position at the back of a group coming towards the end of the first mile but realised I had to push on so made a surge that nobody could follow then caught a few more people in the last 800m to finish 4th. Today was 18 miles with 1500ft of elevation without worrying about pace, felt like more down than up so I'm expecting DOMS tomorrow.

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Feb 18, 2019 thru Sunday, Feb 24, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Mon 7.1 7:49 Big dirty stinking bass strava
          Mon 4.3 8:18 The ol' tradiola strava
          Tue 18.3 7:17 Sucking flat cokes in hell strava
          Wed 5.6 8:31 Afternoon Run strava
          Wed 3.8 8:40 Afternoon Run strava
          Thu 7.3 6:41 Lunch Runners: 20mins tempo & 6x strides strava
          Thu 3.3 8:29 Afternoon Run strava
          Fri 3.3 8:07 Warm up strava
          Fri 0.7 7:14 Strides and pish strava
          Fri 1.8 5:15 3k on the green. PB strava
          Fri 2.8 7:58 Cool down. The Tunnock's tractor beam strava
          Sat 7.0 8:01 You've got the horn so why don't you blow it strava
          Sun 18.0 7:13 Haar strava
            83.3 7:35    

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Jayluf - that is a tough long run - well done!

Swim - interesting to see how marathon power yields different paces on different days.  Which makes sense, of course.  I have a Stryd also, though I only look at the data after the run.  It's actually been giving weird readings recently - huge variances in power readings for steady effort, and I did one long run where apparently the bulk of it was at what is usually my mile race power....  Not sure what's going on there - I need to contact their support when I get a chance.

Madison - that long run indoors.....wow!  And I'm guessing you didn't even use a TV (I'm thinking one on a little cart just looping around the track in front of you....

Finbad - congrats on the new PR!  What the heck with the Strava title about sucking cokes????

My week: 44 miles, 16 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming:
            M: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" pool-running
            T: 12 miles, including 7x800 (400m jog between) in 3:09, 3:03, 3:02, 3:01, 3:00, 2:54, 2:55.  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
            W: 6 miles very easy (9:36) ending just as the snow started to stick.  DIY yoga at home
            Th: light upper body weights/core and 7.5 "miles" pool-running.
            F: 4 miles very easy (9:27) and DIY yoga
            Sa: 3 mile warm-up, 8K race in 31:27, 3 mile cooldown. later 1000 yards recovery swimming
            Su:  10 easy (8:32), drills+strides, yoga.

I'm not terribly happy with the 8K race.  It was a PR, which was pretty much a given, since I've run faster than my previous 8K PR during the second half of a 10 miler.  But I had expected to run faster on what was a fast course, and I think I'm in better shape than that time.  It was a cold rainy day, and the pavement felt pretty slick, so I'm hoping that was part of it.  Race report is here.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

ZZCaptainObvious

ZZ - Did you just do loops around Camp Randall for this 17?  I have found the Southwest Path is in decent shape for running.  That's the only place in town I've been able to find relatively decent footing for more than a block or so.  Have you found anywhere else to run a few miles without constantly dodging ice or trudging through snow/slush? I've been in the Shell for all of my speedwork.

No, I ran up from Fitchburg via the Southwest path. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't great. The Southwest path has been the best bet for me - The Capital City trail is really bad, the Cannonball path is closed (and really bad). I've just been looking for any clear surface and then trying my hardest to not think too much.

This sounds super weird, but I actually ran in a parking garage today for my long run. It was better than I was expecting, even if I didn't get too far.

Total 41-ish. 7, 7, 4.2, 5.7, off, 5.7, 11.8. Not getting the mileage that I'd really like, but I'm also not finding great running outside.

weatherboy80

Really looks like some nice training weeks going on here!

Jayluf: Nice big LR/workout combo with mile repeats.  Looking good for your upcoming HM.

Swim:  Nice big week and even better with that much snow.  Yikes!!

Madison:  Huge week and quite the very quick 1200 workout.  That's impressive to hit anywhere near those paces with that volume.  And man what a MP workout on Sunday!  I just happen to hit 105 in a 7 day span as I moved my workout up 1 day, and won't be doing that again this cycle.  Nice job!

Fin:  Nice big week for you as well.  Nice quick tempo and 3K so I don't think you have lost any speed!   Congrats on the PR!

Darkwave:  Nice week.  Hey a PR is a PR - so congrats!  You are probably in better shape though.

Me:  Got in another big week of total volume, but if you look at my 7 days from last Sunday to yesterday I was able to hit 105 miles which is the most mileage I have ever run in a week.  Wednesday hill V02 max workout was just okay, but it was warm and the legs were a bit tired after 3 days of hill work in the 6 days prior.  Other big workout was my LR/tempo yesterday where the original plan was for two bouts of 3T at the beginning and end of my LR, but after my warm up and with temps in the low to mid 70's decided to do 3 X 1 tempo repeats instead.  Even with the rest periods still was very close to my max HR during my second set of repeats due to the heat and tired legs.  Certainly was closer to a V02 max workout in the heat instead.  BTW, we ended up hitting 90 today Sad.  Oh well more heat training right?

Weekly Summary
                Monday, Feb 18, 2019 thru Sunday, Feb 24, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Mon 11.2 7:40 Warm Viera Wetlands 🐊 strava
                Mon 7.1 7:50 18+ miles and a nap today 😁 strava
                Tue 11.1 8:06 EZ + strides strava
                Wed 2.5 8:53 Group run strava
                Wed 5.0 6:26 Deja vu on the bridge? 5 X 1200 w/ ~3min jg strava
                Wed 5.1 8:02 Smell of grease on the cool down 😎 strava
                Wed 6.5 7:16 Windy 💨 🏃 strava
                Thu 11.1 7:42 Afternoon Run strava
                Fri 7.1 7:49 EZ + strides strava
                Sat 20.2 7:20 3E + 3X1T + 10E + 3X1T + 1E #105 miles in last 7 days 😁 strava
                Sun 7.2 7:39 Likely my biggest week of this cycle ✅ strava
                  94.1 7:39  

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

jayluf: I agree you are setting up for a big PR in that half, good luck!

Swim: So much quality in that week; I don't know how you do those doubles of hard sessions.

Madison: Wow. Just wow.

Finbad: Awesome week; congrats on the smoking 3k PR. You're looking very strong for Boston.

DW: Congrats on the win in the 8k race!  Your training has been going great, and I don't think you should be concerned about the time. This race didn't make the table on page 1; Cherry Blossom is you first serious race 

Weather: Wow, huge week for you! That was quite a long run; to be hitting near max HR in those intervals the heat must have really been getting to you. Hope the heatwave down there does not last too long. Feel free to send some of that heat up north 

This was a much needed down week for me. I'd been going without a break since around Christmas, so I was due. I was planning to run a 7.6 mile race Sunday, but the weather forecast for Sunday morning got worse and worse as the week progressed, pouring rain and windy, so I decided against it and planned to do a 10k time trial on the track on Saturday when the weather was ideal (low 40's, calm, overcast). I wanted to try to break 37 min, and felt good for the first 5 km (~18:15), but after that it caught up with me and I had to downgrade to an 8k. My previous "adult" 8k PR was 29:58 from about a year and a half ago, so this beat that time by a fair bit. 7 weeks until Athens, so the next 5 weeks will hopefully be strong and setback-free.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Tue 8.4 8:54 Morning Run on TM strava
                  Wed 10.0 7:55 Morning Run on TM strava
                  Thu 6.2 8:15 Morning Run on TM w/ some strides strava
                  Sat 3.4 8:02 Warm up strava
                  Sat 5.1 5:48 8 km time trial (29:22) strava
                  Sat 4.3 8:12 Cool down strava
                  Sun 6.1 8:46 Afternoon Run strava
                    43.5 8:03    

2:52:16 (2018)

Anybody catch the US indoors today?  Athing Mu... wow! Only 16 years old and 2nd fastest 600m of all time!  And Donovan Brazier with the WR in the 600m. Some great young talent, it will be fun to watch how they do this summer in the 800.

2:52:16 (2018)

slingrunner

last week was my recovery week here before the taper leading up to Boston.  59 miles, with a more successful treadmill tempo run than last week's disaster.

I'm noticing that the pfitz 12 week schedule is a bit more punishing than 18 weeks.  3 of my next 4 weeks have 70 miles of running.  On Sunday it's 18 w/12 @MP and I'm dreading that.  I want to take my vaporfly's on at least one long run, so might be a good time to test them.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

finbad

Darkwave - congratulations on the PR. I hate any race where I spend time thinking about my footing, just unneeded metal stress. My Strava titles are probably best ignored, mostly just nonsense I've been thinking on the run or song lyrics (I find that if I use these names its much easier to recall specific workouts than if I just describe the work). In this case I was listening to a podcast where they mentioned the amazing Scottish ultra runner Don Ritchie (100 miles in 7 and a half hours, 100k in just over 6 whilst working full time and mainly fuelling on biscuits and flat coke!)

Weatherboy - pathetic! only an 'okay' VO2 session. Seriously great week.

JT - as I said on Strava, really gutsy solo TT

Sling - that sounds like the ideal run out for the vaporfly's

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Day Miles Pace Description  
                          Mon 0.0 0:00 Extensor tendonitis  
                          Tue 0.0 0:00 cont'd Extensor tendonitis  
                          Wed 0.0 0:00 cont'd Extensor tendonitis  
                          Thu 0.0 0:00 cont'd Extensor tendonitis  
                          Fri 0.0 0:00 cont'd Extensor tendonitis  
                          Sat 11. 9:03 Was to be 4 mi but felt good until 10  
                          Sun 0.0 0:00 cont'd Extensor tendonitis\Rain  
                            11.0 9:03  Total Mileage  

FinnBad -  nice week with your  two 18 milers.

JTReeves - we all deserve a down week. I had one this week, which I quite enjoyed. Every day I was like meh, nah.

You survive and live to fight another day.

The highlight of my week was my young Padawan slayed her workout. 17 mi w/ 3mi @ MP then  8x800 @10k pace then  3mi ( MP -10 secs).  So you know the Truth Run is next for her probably in early March.

I may try to run 2ks  tomorrow. This morning my foot was like bump that then we had 60mph wind gust so I decided to sleep in.

Looks like another lazy week until the national USATF 50k on Sunday.  Amazing races at Ocean breeze. Did you see that 16 year old who almost broke the world record. If her body doesn't change she is a threat for both the World champs and the Olympics. What's with NJ they are spitting out the best 16 YO in the world at several events. 1st Ajee, then Olivia, then Sydney, now Athing. Wow amazing. you have to watch both her races especially the final when she shut down Raevyn Rodgers. She reminded me a old dual mode racer. Athing was like "I was in street mode, Do you want to see track mode." Whereby she dropped Raveyn like she wasn't  even in the same lap.

Swim - Nice week, I dont know how you do it. When I get 8 inches I take it as a divinely appointed rest week.

Madison - those 1200s were fire, I loved when I used to do those 3:45 in my old club days. Then I got older wise now I roll through them in 4:15. But God bless your heart. Those were nice.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If her body doesn't change she is a threat for both the World champs and the Olympics. What's with NJ they are spitting out the best 16 YO in the world at several events. 

Ah, but that's the trick, isn't it.

Nimmals - hope the extensor tendonitis clears up!

Sling - I really like the idea of testing the VFs on the long run.  Keep in mind that they will likely feel very awkward for the non-MP stuff.  I'd also recommend planning a loop route with your car in the middle (and another pair of shoes) just in case you get a couple miles in and decide the VFs are not for you.

Weather - very smart decision to modify the T stuff - I'm guessing you got more benefit out of the workout that way than you would have from forcing 3 miles straight in that heat.

JTReeves - I can't imagine doing a 10K time trial - I think pulling off the 8K PR was pretty badass.  

Also - first serious race for me is Shamrock Half-Marathon in 3 weeks - I had listed 83 as my goal, but I don't think I'm there yet, unless Shamrock has magical weather.  We shall see.  I'm feeling a bit better about the 8K after doing some stalking (go ahead, judge).  Looks like others apparently ran significantly slower than their fitness as indicated by other recent races, so perhaps the weather had more of an effect than I credited.  (of course, always hard to infer too much - you never know whether others were sick, doing the race as a workout, etc...)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

slingrunner

Darkwave- I judge, but I judge positively.  I think if you are an under 3hr (or close in my case) runner, and posting on this forum, it's pretty likely you are data driven.  I think stalking others and trying to interpret data is one of the most fun parts of the post race process.  I'd trust your gut, that your fitness is where you think.

I have some secondary goals for my MP run, but the main one is getting my right shoe to stay tied.  Seriously.  My shoelace came undone during my last marathon.  And I've worn these Vapors for 2 runs, and the right untied during my 8 mile tempo run.  I'm not some buffoon that doesn't know how to tie shoelaces, I think those are the only laces issues I've had in 8 years of training, but then again 98% of my other runs have all been in Brooks Ghosts.  I'm hoping it's related to the metatarsal issue I had which was making me land in a strange way on that foot.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Lela - I will probably just buy the book on Amazon given I have free shipping, since paying for the shipping alone would probably be as much as the book for you to ship it. Thanks for the offer though! I don't know if you saw my post earlier, but they slightly changed the NYC course so you aren't running through the CP hills at the end of it. Still have to deal with the prevailing northerly wind, but the change made me happy. Also, saw you're training in altitude. I was in Vail this weekend and even just walking around I found myself out of breath randomly, can't imagine how people run!

Jay - Hope you get over your illness

Swim - Snow has been crazy over by you! We've barely gotten anything this winter. I also see Mikkey keeps needling you on Strava! He's probably just cranky because Piwi has abandoned him and he needs to take it out on someone 

Madison - I'm glad you post here, it gives a great insight into what's needed to get to the next level

Fin - is your quad now 100%? I'm going to guess so given you put in a 24 miler.

Weather - do you have any other races upcoming before Boston?

JT - Agreed, you have been super consistent, good break week.

DW/Sling/Testing VFs - I also plan on testing my VFs this Saturday in a 16 miler with 12 @ MP. I wasn't planning on doing any more MP work, but I really have to test out these shoes at pace over distance before the NYC Half / Boston so seems like the right time do it. DW - have there even been people that say the VFs don't work for them? I feel like I haven't heard that. Not saying the shoe is for 100% of people, but you now have me worried that I don't have a good backup plan.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)