Running routes in the following cities: London, Paris, San Sebastian, Spain, Vienna (Read 620 times)

bluii12

I'm doing some traveling next month & will need to continue with my runs (maintenance runs as well as 10-12 milers) in these cities. Anyone run in them before? Suggestions of good places to go? Don't know where I'll be staying in each city just yet.

Duncan

the best and simplest place to run in london is hyde park, it is pretty central and a single lap gives you about three miles. not sure about longer routes, it can be a confusing city to run in. if you are near enough/ have the time then richmond park is a good bet.
        In Vienna I did a long run along the danube. I found that there was a good side (park space) and a bad side (industrial) while in the City. If you go far enough you leave the main City and there's awesome scenery of the countryside! Also, it can be a little out of your way depening on where you are, but go early in the morning to the Schonbrunn Palace (Summer Palace). Lots of locals run there, and its more amazing scenery. There's a great mega hill you can run up with a huge "Victory" monument at the top and looks down at the palace. I'll post a picture when I get to my home computer. Schonnbrunn is a must!

rhetorician

HI there from Europe In London you can do a really cool 12+ miler along the Thames (from tower bridge to the Millennium Dome and back) and see lots of sights at the same time. Fine views if you get a good day. I think you will find routes posted on the Serpentine Running Club website (you'll have to google, don't have URL Sad). In Paris I imagine you can run along the Seine (but lots of traffic) or in the Bois du Boulogne. When I travel - especially to cities - I always use MapMyRun.com - they have a search for runs tool that allows you to access the routes done by local folks - you can search by location, type, length, or just look on the map. Hope this helps...

2012 goals

lose 8lbs

run injury free

run 3000k

run sub 60 min 10k

run 2 hour half

2013 goals

run 1750 miles

run injury free

sub 55 10k

sub 25 5k

sub 2 hour half

Imminent Catastrophe

In Paris, the Bois du Bolougne: http://www.runningahead.com/maps/420ddd5e48fb4f4387dc21d051eb11b6 there is shade and water--water faucets, not fountains, so bring your own drinking vessel or drink from your hands. Lots of different routes in there. You can run along the Siene early in the morning. Later on, too much traffic and pedestrians. MTA a bunch of stuff

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I'm sorry that I can't add anything useful, just have to say I'm more than a little jealous. Thinking about routes through these cities is going to make my same old courses seem pretty tired. What a great opportunity, I hope you really enjoy your trip.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Duncan

In London you can do a really cool 12+ miler along the Thames (from tower bridge to the Millennium Dome and back) and see lots of sights at the same time. Fine views if you get a good day.
                doh, of course!
                Pammie

Hi Bluii Serpentine running club (in London0 have a fantastic website, they also have a list of possible routes you can do. Taake a look http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/run_routes_index.html quite a few suggestions
                  RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I went on vacation to Spain (including San Sebastian, which is a really nice place and had the best food - go bar hoping for pinchos and a glass of wine) last year and just used MapMyRun.com to find routes close to where I was staying. Worked out quite well actually. If there was nothing close by I improvised - typically there was a park / open space close by.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

bluii12

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Both my husband and I will have our laptops with us (for looking up routes, etc.), but I'm not sure how we'll be able to plug them in. I'm too nervous to use an adaptor as I'm afraid I'll fry it. Suggestions?
                      RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

The power supply for my laptop works on US and European voltages. Thought that was normal. Too be safe your could take a surge arrestor along with your adapter kit. However, in Spain, we relied on Internet cafes and actually most places we stayed had a public computer we could use. Of course, if you kind of know what area(s) you're staying in, taking printouts of routes with you may help. I agree that in Vienna the Schonnbrunn is a must see. In Barcelona, there seemed to be a lot of runners in Park Gruel, which is a pretty interesting place. Also, the Olympic village/stadium area is in a nice park - some good hills. In Composita de Santiago, there's a nice park by the university. In Bilboa you can run along the river by the Guggenhiem.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Chris345

I'm doing some traveling next month & will need to continue with my runs (maintenance runs as well as 10-12 milers) in these cities. Anyone run in them before? Suggestions of good places to go? Don't know where I'll be staying in each city just yet.
                          I happened to just create this google map for someone else for running in London. I trained there in 2002. So I'm not sure if this route has changed much. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=110779100952287197501.0004524dbe9291f071329&t=h&z=14