There may be something to the old "no pain no gain" refrain after all (Read 254 times)

I could clone an inducible coding sequence into an adenoviral vector (ie gene therapy) and you could inject it in massive doses.  If you survived, it should work.  I could throw in a green fluorescent protein sequence so we could monitor how well the gene expression worked.  As a nice side effect, you'd glow in the dark like a jellyfish and wouldn't need to carry a headlamp for Western States.

How much would the extra energy expenditure from producing GFP affect my ability to train and my race times?

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Feeling the growl again

How much would the extra energy expenditure from producing GFP affect my ability to train and my race times?

You produce all sorts of proteins all the time.  The difference is probably negligible.  Perhaps it would depend upon the strength of the promotor....do you want to be a glowworm or a streetlight?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

So my old coach was right. "No pain. No gain."

Crap. Where is my free lunch.

On a more interesting note. I don't recall any reference to the frequency of hard work vs recovery in the article. But then again, that is something I had to learn through trial and error. Mostly error.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

On a more interesting note. I don't recall any reference to the frequency of hard work vs recovery in the article. But then again, that is something I had to learn through trial and error. Mostly error.

That would be really hard to extrapolate from mice.

Note that in the described experiments, mice were used which were engineered to produce far more CRTC2 than normal.  This resulted in a much greater response to stress and improvement in endurance/muscle development than seen in normal mice.

What it is NOT saying is that exercise stress produces more CRTC2.  We are limited in our response by what we already have, unless more data show otherwise.  Once could speculate that CRTC2 expression level may be something that better athletes have which allows them to be elite.

So the question is how long the effects of activating our CRTC2 last, because if you go too long between hard efforts the effect will be lessened.  This is a very hard question to answer.  I don't seem to have access to the full primary paper and am not an expert on that particular biochemical pathway.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

I don't know much about these type of studies since in my world it's implementation of designs and existing laws of nature/physics (yay engineering).

Since you can't / shouldn't engineer a human to produce more CRTC2 like they did with the mice, it would be nice to know how to create an increase in existing production capability based on workout intensity/frequency. Optimization of course from a starting point without all of the angst of trial and error from a zero baseline.

So does this obsolete things such as LHR and slow and long training ideas?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

bhearn

So does this obsolete things such as LHR and slow and long training ideas?

No -- still different training benefits from different types of workout.

Feeling the growl again

Since you can't / shouldn't engineer a human to produce more CRTC2 like they did with the mice, it would be nice to know how to create an increase in existing production capability based on workout intensity/frequency. Optimization of course from a starting point without all of the angst of trial and error from a zero baseline.

It's not the amount of CRTC2, its how well and how frequently you activate it to do its thing.  This requires working out hard enough to stimulte release of adrenaline and related hormones.

And, as bhearn said, we're still only talking one piece in a very complex puzzle.  IMHO this falls along the lines of understanding how the training we knows works does work, but not necessarily giving us much to take training to the next level.

Unless you consider glow-in-the-dark bhearn or a 150lb dog with a really, really bad inferiority complex to be the next level.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Unless you consider glow-in-the-dark bhearn 

That could be useful for those 24 hour ultras. No need to worry about your headlamp dying.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.