Importance of weekly mileage (Read 1645 times)

xor

srlopez needs a boobie hug.

#artbydmcbride

(((o)(o)srlopez)))

Runners run

I like that. I'm kind of envious of mathematicians.

'Member Melph?  What the hell happened to Melph?

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

keeponrunning

Wow...this thread is random, even for RA!  From mpw to shoes to science to math Tongue  
          I won't dare comment on mpw cause I'm only running 10-15mpw right now due to a knee injury.  
          But as far as shoes go, I think a lot depends on the person.  I find stiff shoes just plain uncomfortable, and even if they are flexible but have a lot of cushion I tend to overstride.  Thus, I run in 'minimalist' shoes.  Find what works for you and go with it.   
          Science/religion- I'll keep my yapper shut for now.

Mathematics- math is beauiful.  Especially derivatives and anti-derivatives Smile 

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

A Saucy Wench

srlopez needs a boobie hug.

go put on the monkey shirt.....

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

go put on the monkey shirt.....

oh no you di'int.

alevansal

Luke -

Going back to your original question - is it possible for a person to finish a marathon with peak mileage ~35 miles a week?  Sure.  Will the marathon be pretty?  Maybe not.  I agree with others who state you need to get your mileage up so that your long run isn't such a large percentage of your mileage.  I also agree that the increased time running helps condition your body to sustain the act of running.  For my part, I also run only 4 - 5 days a week.  I can generally do up to 50 mpw on 4 days a week, but my non-long-run days are 8 -12 miles.  Then, I cross train on other days (cycling, lifting, swimming).  But, that's what works for me.  You have to figure out what works for you. 

So, I'd say yes, increase your mileage.  But, I don't agree that you have to run more than 4 days a week if doing so doesn't work for your body.  Try gradually increasing the mileage of your other runs to make up the remainder of the desired mileage.

A.

A Saucy Wench

oh no you di'int.

Apparently I di'id

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

bhearn

Well said. But take, for example, Monet's haystacks. It might be said that art, rightly viewed, possesses not only beauty, but supreme truth - a truth rich and perspectival, like that of quantum physics. 

Fascinating. I'm afraid I'm too much of a Philistine to get truth from Monet. Escher, maybe.

MTA: I read the Wikipedia page. Wow.

MrH

MTA: I read the Wikipedia page. Wow.

I was really craving a cupcake after that.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was really craving a cupcake after that.

With a little cupcake as a chaser?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.