Shoes for Winter - Snow and Ice (Read 1006 times)

Just found these: Asics Arctic http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240010970&TITLE_CATEGORY_ID=250001545 They come with cleats. I wonder if the cushioning is modified for the cold. Never saw them in a store though. - R
      I'm with Mikey here. I used to be a wuss and skip days when it was snowy. Now I just go out. I just wear my regular running shoes, too. My development doesn't have any through streets, and has a one mile loop, so when it's real bad out I can stay close to home and not worry about traffic. The only thing I really worry about is black ice, either from snow melt or a quick freeze after a rain storm. It's tough to see in the dark .... took a couple of spills last year.
      Yeah, last winter I wore my regular shoes shoes and socks but it was a pretty mild winter and not a lot of snow. I actually like running in the snow. In a way, it helps my running form - if you overstride or excessively heel-strike, you're asking to wipe out. It forces you land softly. I hate my reflective vest but gotta wear it.

invisible

Oh, they're only $30 here. If I'm going to run on Maine streets in the winter, I don't have many options.
        Well, I've heard stories of them breaking after a few runs on pavement, or only lasting a couple of weeks.
        90 percent of the game is not giving up.
          Well, I've heard stories of them breaking after a few runs on pavement, or only lasting a couple of weeks.
          That's what happened to mine. The coils break into smaller coils. They keep on working as traction aides until the pieces breaking become too small and fall off the elastic wire. A broken coil that stuck out of one of my shoes is what got caught to my other foot and sent me flying in the air. How long it takes for them to break. I don't exactly remember, it was the first winter I used them and I used them only occasionally and all my runs I used them in involved some ice and snow and some pavement. Note that if you have long stretches of clear pavement, it's easy to take them off and put them back when the terrain gets difficult again. I usually didn't because I ran with them mostly in the streets and it was a mix of clear, ice and snow.
            I'm another Masshole & there was a few weeks last winter I thought owning a pair of YakTrax might be helpful but, I wound up not spending my money. I try to take a frugal approach to running gear. Mostly what makes me wimp out on a winter run is the cold & wind not ice & snow, especially as I've gotten older. I decided to spend my money on more layers of clothing.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, it says right on the package NOT to use them on pavement. I got a few months out of mine last Winter, no signs of wear or breakage, But I also was running on solid snow and ice with very few clear spots until closer to Spring, so by that time I wasn't wearing them any longer. My weekly long runs all last Winter were 10-11 miles and I maintained 25-30 miles/week pretty much all season. I don't think I could claim that without the YakTrax. Running on snow and ice without them really increases the level of effort (not to mention the risk of falling), so my mileage would surely have suffered without them.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

For me, YakTrax didn't work so great. We have gotten a lot of ice here in Macomb, IL in recent winters, and sometimes it is black ice. I'd step on the ice and it would be so hard or thin that the YakTrax wouldn't catch. This was when I was walking - so I didn't even try a run. However, they are fantastic in snow.

TRUST THE PROCESS

invisible

Well, it says right on the package NOT to use them on pavement.
                  Really? Are you sure about that? It says right on the box that I have here,"NOT FOR INDOOR USE", but nothing about pavement. Anyways, it's kind of obvious that running on pavement will shorten their life.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Really? Are you sure about that? It says right on the box that I have here,"NOT FOR INDOOR USE", but nothing about pavement. Anyways, it's kind of obvious that running on pavement will shorten their life.
                    Hmmm...maybe it wasn't the actual package, but their site definitely states that they are really only for use on icy and snowy surfaces: YakTrax I seem to recall that many of the websites that sell them also state that they are not for use on clear pavement. It makes sense...even if the coils hold up, that stretchy rubber webbing is not going to survive the wear that a hard surface would wreak. I probably have around 200 miles on my pair and they show no wear. But I also only wore them on snow and ice...no pavement or gravel.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

invisible

I probably have around 200 miles on my pair and they show no wear. But I also only wore them on snow and ice...no pavement or gravel.
                      That's good news to me, because I do the same and I only bought mine towards the end of last Winter.
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

The roads around my house, at least, are inconsistent - there will be stretches of ice or snow, and then bare pavement for awhile. The YakTrax have worked fine for me in these conditions.