2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Didn’t hit tree roots. We don’t have trees in the desert we grow rocks. Made a few wrong turns (thinking of you Max) because I wasn’t paying enough attention and learned how my wizard sticks worked. I might have a short race report this time. I blocked out most of it. I still hate hills.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

fb-guy

Didn’t hit tree roots. We don’t have trees in the desert we grow rocks. Made a few wrong turns (thinking of you Max) because I wasn’t paying enough attention and learned how my wizard sticks worked. I might have a short race report this time. I blocked out most of it. I still hate hills.

Snakes?

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Pesto

HI everyone! A quick drive by to comment on the Vienna marathon that I ran today.

With two friends, one aiming for sub 3 and the other pacing him (a much faster runner whose PR is 2:33 I believe), I decided to join them. If things were not going as expected, I could always drop at the half mark and get the medal and official result for the HM. I had been feeling pretty well legs-wise and I had nothing to lose as this was not my goal race.

Weather forecast was bad, even worse than Paris, but I thought I’d give it a try anyway, maybe running with RB would give me an extra push.

So off we went, it was warm from the start, around high 50s and sunny. We crossed the half at 1:29:20 or so and I was feeling relatively well so I decided to go all the way. Temperatures were creeping up fast though, they were already low 70s at the half point and they kept going up.

Felt quite well up to km 31. We started dropping the pace a bit and temps were above 75. At km 32.2 (mile 20), we had to do a 43 min + 10k to get a sub 3. However I started fading badly. It’s crazy how fast it happened.

At km 34 I decided to pull the plug as I was not going to get sub 3, and I didn’t want to put the effort and risk injury for a 3:05 time. So I started walking and was going to take the subway home. After walking A mile, I decided to finish though. I jogged the last 4 miles, and really enjoyed it. I didn’t have the need to rush and didn’t really care about the time, so I just encouraged other runners, thanked volunteers and smiled. Temperature at the finish line was a “Real feel” of 80. Official time was 3:11:21 in the end.

i will come back later to catch up.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

What the heck are "Wizard Sticks"?

Pesto - seems to have been an enjoyable experience on the whole for you, so yay.  And good for you for cheering for others.

Just what is it with hot European marathons this spring?

My week:  26.2 miles of running and 42 "miles" of pool-running.
          M: 26.2 miles in 3:12:34

T: Fly home.

W: yoga and 5.5 "miles" pool-running.
          Th: yoga and 7.5 "miles" pool-running.
          F: swimming and 7 "miles" pool-running.
          Sa: 7 "miles" pool-running and yoga.
          Su: 15 "miles" pool-running and swimming.

I need to catch up with the race results/goal chart.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Just what is it with hot European marathons this spring?

*very tempted to make global warming, earth day, car driving/co2 emitting comments*

*hugs tree instead*

Brain trust, I'm in a slump. My 5000 last weekend was bad. Then yesterday we did a 3 x(1mile @ 5k race pace + 3min rest) 5k "tuneup" workout on next sunday's race course and I felt crappy and did ~6:38s. It was supposed to be a confidence booster, but clearly wasn't.

Anyone have ideas on how to freshen up in a week? / taper for a 5k? I didn't think this would be a thing but I'm feeling pretty flat these days.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

jaimegu

Hi, all,

Pesto:  Running another marathon so close to Paris? That's pretty hard if you had to push for a time.  At least you slowed when needed

Me: I'm back again in Sweden and put a long and boring RR in strava

https://www.strava.com/athletes/10854504/posts/1867046

My week:  26.2 miles of running and 42 "miles" of pool-running..

Apparently you haven't picked up one of the "I Swam from Hopkinton to Boston" t-shirts

RTC/PJ ~ I considered Grete but women's marathon wasn't globally competitive and she didn't win OG or other majors. Still three amazing athletes.

Pesto ~ Strong run. Heat is crushing.

Brew ~ SMax has been a bad influence on you.

rlk ~ Take a day off, get plenty of sleep, obviously eat/drink well, compression, elevate feet/legs as much as you can, mileage at ~50% of avg, light workouts. See this: http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2010/03/key-to-running-fast-on-race-day-muscle.html

My Daniels-inspired week:

M) 5

Tu) 11.5 w 8x5 min tempo (1 min rec)

W) 5

Th) 11 w/ 7x {2 min I, 1 min rec, 1 min I, 30 sec rec, 30 sec I, 30 sec rec} ... about 4 mi of I paced stuff!

F) 4.5

Sa) 9.5 w/ 5 sets of {2x200, 400m) w/ equal recovery; 400s at R pace, 200s a bit faster

Su) 14

Total: 60.5 -- which is also my 26 week average

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Jaime - not so long and boring!  And I agree, outfit choice can be crucial and if you mess it up you pay for hours.  I agree though that Boston isn't the place to look for a PR.

Brew - RR?  I hike with sticks but I have never run with them.

"Apparently you haven't picked up one of the "I Swam from Hopkinton to Boston" t-shirts" - I giggled!

I'm impressed you decided to stick with it, Pesto!  And that's an amazing time considering what you just did two weeks ago.

Speaking of impressive, I don't know how many of you know, um, I think his last screen name on RWOL was Iamdisappoint? As I learned on Facebook, he ran 2:51 at Boston and then 2:56 at London today.

Speaking of unimpressive, as those of you on Strava know, I ran my slowest ever 5k today, 25:35. I'm actually fairly pleased with it as a fitness gauge and comeback race (I wrote about it here on my blog).  I mean, that's about the same pace as my last half!  Which was disappointing at the time!  But I have done no speedwork other than strides and have only been running over 20mpw for the last two months, so.  (Also I've gained a couple of pounds.)

OMR

Congrats to all you Ballston runners...just finishing/surviving that is impressive!

ilana:  Good to see you back on the horse!  (And thanks for posting the iamdissappoint info.)

Pesto

Thanks everyone!

ilana - thanks! I was actually impressed with myself too hehe.

And glad to hear you're back to racing! That's exciting, hopefully you'll be able to slowly increase mileage, add some speed and get your fitness back to (or close to) where it used to be. Crazy about imadisappoint too! Both races in very different but harsh conditions.

DkW - yes, it's been crazy weather here in Europe. I think the worse part is how radically it changed. It was a very cold winter, and stayed very cold until late. And then all of a sudden it flipped completely to summer temps! So, most runners running these spring marathons have trained in colder than normal conditions until the end, then tapered and had to race in hotter than normal conditions.

jaime - I'm glad I slowed down too. It made no sense to push when I knew I would not hit the goal. And I'm also glad I did not quit in the end! It's strange though, I was very surprised I felt as good as I did only 2 weeks after Paris.

Now to the catch up:

CK - how's taper going? Good luck for Sunday!

ace - glad to see you're getting healthy again. Doing all that core, bike, swim stuff is probably going to help you a lot going into fall marathon training.

GOAT discussions - I don't know much about the history of our sport, but I read today that Mo Farah now holds the British records for 1500, 3000, 5000, 10000, half and full marathon. That is insane.

Also, Kipchoge is amazing. I wonder how much him winning a marathon pays with the bookies.

kk - hope you enjoyed the week off running!

brew - I feel your pain, I hate hills too. Planning on adding some trail runs this summer to see what happens.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

fb-guy

DkW - yes, it's been crazy weather here in Europe. I think the worse part is how radically it changed. It was a very cold winter, and stayed very cold until late. And then all of a sudden it flipped completely to summer temps! So, most runners running these spring marathons have trained in colder than normal conditions until the end, then tapered and had to race in hotter than normal conditions.

Exactly. Here it has fallen back into the mid 70s (still higher than seasonal averages) from the low 80s. And winter was awful. We seem to have missed spring.

Pesto -- where are you based?

For all of you longer-term 3:20-ers, ESG is staying with us seeing his DD1 who is doing a term studying aboard. We're running every day -- he guided a handicapped runner in Boston. Lot's of fun.

Ilana -- great to see you racing.

CK's got a fast half coming up on Sunday. Right?

Funny week here -- I strung together 9 straight 10Ks at MP or faster. At some point I was interested to see how long I could hold it together., so I kept going. Train fast, race slow. haha. Tired today, so I broke the streak with an easy 5.

Sat -- 6@8:17

Sun -- 6.5@8:09

Mon -- 6.5@8:15

Tues -- 6.5@8:06

Weds -- 6.5@7:53

Thurs -- 6.5@7:37

Fri -- 6.5@7:32

Sat -- 6.5@7:28

Sun -- 6.5@8:03

49@7:51 for the week

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

aubuti

Hey all. Even though I signed up for RA when RWOL turned out the lights I somehow never made the move. Congrats to the cold and wet Botswana runners, the sweaty Londoners, the Viennese pesto, those coming back from injuries, and everyone else.

And, with apologies for the drive-by, is anyone out there running Avenue of the Giants on May 6? I'm traveling back to the US for DS's college graduation in Portland, and Giants looked like a fantastic opportunity to run 26.2 in what I hope will be temperate weather. Gotta be better than the outdoor sauna of Kuala Lumpur.

PRs: M: 3:12:59 (2015) / HM 1:31:49 (2015) / 10mi* 1:09:49 (2015) / 10k 42:58 (2014) / 5k 21:35 (2013)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

PJ - Nice time on the trails; I wish I had some good ones close. When are you deciding between your bad ideas?

Brew - Looking forward to that RR. Embrace the hills, they'll make you strong!

Pesto - Bummer about the hot conditions. Props for sticking it out, though.

Dad - Solid week.

Ilana - I think Iamdisappoint is here in the sub-3 thread. Good to see you posting a race again! As I said on Strava, your slowest 5k is far faster than several of my slowest.

FB - Good week. I'm certainly hoping for a fast half this Sunday!

Aubuti - Hi!

London - Missed it all, having to catch up on the happenings as I can.

My week below. I really think my time on the treadmill in the garage without any airflow is really helping. I've noticed in my last 3x workouts that my HR hasn't gotten quite as high as it normally would during hard efforts and that it drops faster and farther than before during the recovery periods. I'll probably do another 1-2 of those this week just to help maintain whatever acclimatization is there.
                            Forecast for the race hasn't changed since Sunday first showed up on the weather reports - Low/mid 50's with a low/mid teens south wind. It's a direct headwind from just before mile 8 to just after mile 10, but should be fairly negligible otherwise. That wind is really the only thing I'm concerned with at this point.

Monday, Apr 16, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 22, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                            Mon 11.3 7:17 Daniels' T, 5x 1mi +6 strides (no deer) and 1 new VO2 max detected. 145 (74%) strava
                            Tue 7.3 7:49 Heard some turkeys. Didn't see any turkeys. 140 (71%) strava
                            Wed 7.3 7:51 A little more heat training in London. Saw zero soccer, err.. football hooligans. 143 (73%) strava
                            Thu 7.3 7:23 Daniels' I & R. 4x 2 min + 6x 200m(ish) & another new VO2 max detected. 144 (73%) strava
                            Fri 8.1 7:56 More heat stuff. Ten Junk Miles Ep. 71 142 (72%) strava
                            Sat 9.2 7:52 Ten Junk Miles LR #49. You can't wind up in a French prison if you never go to France. 143 (73%) strava
                              50.5 7:40

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Speed Surplus

Congrats on the finish, Pesto. I'd take a 3:11 jogging it in any day!

Way to get back to racing, Ilana. 25Tight lippedx isn't shabby given your extended time off and slow recovery.

Brew, it looks like you ran almost 10 hours last week. That's insane (by my standards).

Keen, that's a very solid week. What are you targeting next weekend? (I know I can go look it up...)

My week. That's three consecutive weeks at 50+ miles...just barely. Sunday's long run was very easy, but my shoulders continue to give me trouble. I hurt my right shoulder/tricep doing pull-ups a couple of months ago and it never really healed. Saw a doctor who recommended PT, but the exercises she had me doing made it worse, and it doesn't hurt when I run (until I'm out there for 2 hours) so... I'm sort of hoping I can put it off until after my 6/10 marathon.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                              Tue 7.0 8:35 1:00 The milling of the tread 138 (75%) 0 strava
                              Wed 1.7 8:37 0:14 WU 132 (72%) 93 strava
                              Wed 2.4 6:17 0:14 Short burst of fast downhill running 162 (88%) 7 strava
                              Wed 4.1 8:32 0:35 CD 142 (77%) 239 strava
                              Thu 6.4 8:29 0:54 Not the most energy today. 134 (73%) 221 strava
                              Fri 5.4 8:10 0:43 More energy, but not enough time. 156 (85%) 330 strava
                              Sat 6.9 8:14 0:56 Really nice day 138 (75%) 267 strava
                              Sun 15.7 8:25 2:12 Easy steady pace. Both shoulders achy toward the end 139 (76%) 577 strava
                              Sun 0.6 8:20 0:05 Train run apres run 129 (70%) 35 strava
                                50.2 8:18 6:56     1769

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

aubuti- hi!! haven't run avenue of the giants in particular, but jim and i have run a half marathon on the same course that's in october each year. the the weather there is generally pretty temperate and things feel cooler under the redwoods.

dad- while magness' spelling and grammar is difficult to tolerate, that was an insightful and helpful read - thanks!

_________________________________________________
                                mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58