Thinking about getting a running GPS (Read 917 times)

Spencer Davis

Ok so i'm thinking about getting a GPS watch for running, rollerskiing and skiing. I would like to know what ones people recommend, where i can get it the cheapest and how much it should cost. Thanks Big grin I was thinking about getting a garmin 205, 305 or 405, could someone please explain the differences in them?

Running Dad

Big question here is, what features do you want? I'm sure alot of people here will steer you towards Garmin but you need to figure out what you want. From there you can start steering towards price ranges.
      Things to do this year:
      Not get an injury
      Things done this year:
      Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??

Imminent Catastrophe

You could start by searching "Garmin" on this site, there are lots of messages. There's also a Garmin 405 user group.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Here's the short version: All 3 of those will likely have the same GPS accuracy. Which means they will all track distance and pace (pace is most accurate using the averaging feature). - 205 and 305 look and fit the same (205 does not have a Heart Monitor). - 405 is the new design and costs more (obviously) - attempts to be more "watch" like. Has additional features, but I consider them non-essential (like a touch screen, GPS "off" mode to conserve battery life, etc). If you don't care about the Heart Monitor, you're choosing between the 205 and 405. The 205 is the cheaper option. If you do want a Heart Monitor, then you're choosing between the 305 and 405, with the 305 being the cheaper route. The forums at "Motionsbased" have a ton of information also. Steve

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

Dave

Amazon usually has good prices on these. Also check out Buy.com and compare the two. Stay away from Best Buy or the sports retailers like Dicks.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Driver, Runner, Bestie

I am interested in this thread, too, because I am considering a Garmin. Don't really know if I need one, but they sure look fun. I do have one question. I am kind of confused about whether you can set a beeping sound on the 305 and the 405. I think this would be handy for pacing. Can you actually hear the beep over an Ipod?
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I am interested in this thread, too, because I am considering a Garmin. Don't really know if I need one, but they sure look fun. I do have one question. I am kind of confused about whether you can set a beeping sound on the 305 and the 405. I think this would be handy for pacing. Can you actually hear the beep over an Ipod?
                You can set it to beep if your pace goes outside certain limits. It's not all that loud. One other note is that the 405 is wireless sync only. As of yet, this is not Mac compatible. No Mac issues with the 205/305. Also, footpod (for indoor use) and bicycle pod (for cycling cadence) is unavailable for the 205. So looking though this thread, there's some things to think about depending on what your needs are.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

The new Garmins also allow you to upload workouts which is pretty cool. My old skool Garmin has been great but the new versions have better GPS receivers and the ability to set up training on your PC and then upload it into your Garmin. Pretty cool. If you just need the basic Garmin and want to save some money, check Ebay. There's been quite a few listed. MegaGPS is another on line retailer to check. They had the best price when I bought mine.

Running Toward One Day

I just ordered a Timex Bodylink through a rewards site that I have. Garmins not available on there. Any feedback on the Bodylink?
                    GOALS: 100 mile total Memorial Day 5k
                      I've had a Bodylink for a few years. The main difference with Garmins is that you have to wear a separate armband with the GPS receiver. This is a disadvantage if you don't like to have something tied to your arm. But an advantage since you want to use the watch as a regular watch. The Garmin 405 seems the best of both worlds in that regard. The other issue with the Bodylink is that you can't upload your data from the watch to a computer unless you also get the data component. The Bodylink comes with an HRM that seems fairly accurate and comfortable. I can't compare GPS reception with the Garmins since I never owned a Garmin. With the Bodylink I could loose the signal when going in thick woods, I would sometimes loose it also if running downtown with tall skyscrapers (I rarely do so however). But other than that, it was quite reliable specially if you turn on smoothing (it smoothes out errors in the GPS data). I haven't used the GPS unit for over a year now. I know my routes and I run by feel. Since then I enjoy my runs more and have been without injury. Running with a GPS kinda forced me into running at a given pace because that's what my training plan was saying even if I was tired on that day, etc. Running without a GPS also made me learn to "feel" my pace, i.e. accurately guess what pace I'm running. The Garmin 405 looks very sexy and I was tempted to get it, but I'm holding off to stay GPS-free.

Running Toward One Day

This is great info, thank you so much, one question though. The "data component" , is this something sold seperately? Have to get through Timex? I guess thats 2 questions actually...
                        GOALS: 100 mile total Memorial Day 5k