2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I only drink water.  But...cups just don't work for me.  I know the pinch and sip technique, but I can't gulp water that quickly - I need to gently sip it.  So...I carry a small handheld and refill it as needed.

This post gives a little more detail about what I carry.  As you can see, it's very small and unobtrusive - probably why many don't notice I'm carrying one.

The refilling sounds very tricky and hard. Did you practice first, or just plan to do it in a race and it worked first time?

This from someone who has typed a conversation, caught Pokémon and cast Harry Potter spells on my phone while running.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

mattw4jc

The refilling sounds very tricky and hard. Did you practice first, or just plan to do it in a race and it worked first time?

This from someone who has typed a conversation, caught Pokémon and cast Harry Potter spells on my phone while running.

Too funny! We will expect some in-run updates on this forum if you're that talented.

My son is looking into the Naval ROTC for college. One of his main focuses now is the Physical Fitness Test: max pull-ups, sit-ups (within 2 minutes) and a 3 mile run. Wednesday night he wanted me to run with him, so we started out on our 3 mile neighborhood, somewhat hilly loop. Unless it's a workout, I have been averaging 8:30 - 9:00 minute miles on most of my runs.

He started out in the low-8s and that was on the first gentle climb. Then we went downhill and brought mile 1 down to a 7:26. The next mile has 2 humps - short up, medium down, long up, long down. 6:54 - ugh. Mile 3 is flat for about 6 tenths then up, flat again, and uphill finish. 6:38! We weren't really racing each other, but definitely pushing each other. Cool thing too is that for most of the run, our footsteps were synchronized. Even as our stride changed up and down the hills. He is about the same height as me.

I ran an easy 10 the next morning (back to an 8:43 pace), but was pretty tired the rest of the day. And too tired to get out of bed this morning at 4am to get some miles in. Probably for the better anyway as I am now seeing posts on my running group's FB page that some are planning 20+ miles.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Matt: Man those are some fast miles. What's the requirement? I thought it was closer to an 8:00 pace.

I met THIS GUY on a trail run last weekend. Dude must have rolled through Foresthill when I was there. He told me to congratulate max so I did. He told me it took him 7 years to get into States. That's a lot of years requalifying. I understand the struggle. #Boston

I might hit 40 miles this week. I'm a little too excited about that. It's almost as if I'm a REAL marathon runner. Oh and I signed up for a 23 mile mountain race for next weekend. Unsure if I'll need a story. I might need this as motivation to start a marathon training cycle. CIM isn't sitting around waiting  for people, it's going to happen if I'm trained or not. Time to kick mileage back up to the 50s (goal) since I have two camping weekends planned in September which is TYPICALLY Marathon Training season. OH and a Tough Mudder 5K in October.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

My week:  too much travel, but feeling decent otherwise...

M: weights

T: 7 with track intervals - 1mi@6:13, then 6x400@1:27

W: urd

Th: 12 easy

F: 9 with TM hill repeats 4x 1/2mi@(6%,7.5mph)

S: 9 easy

S: urd

total = 37

Hey to everyone

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Nice, Rovatti

Brewing - doesn't take much practice - it's actually easier to pinch the cup and pour it into a bottle than it is to drink from it, at least IME.

My week:

61 miles, 18 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming
            M: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running
            T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2x1600, 2x800, 2x200 in 6:16, 6:07, 2:58, 2:50, 37, and 38 (recoveries a bit over 5 minutes after the 1600s, and 2:4x after the 800s. Full recovery for 200s.
            W: 8 miles very easy (9:02), drills, strides, yoga, and 4 miles very easy (8:53)
            Th: 9.5 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core
            F: 12 miles, including a 4 mile (6400m) tempo in 25:47 (6:35/6:24/6:27/6:21). Followed with 6 very short steep hill sprints, leg strengthwork, and 1000 yards of recovery swimming.
            Sa: 10 miles very easy (8:45), plus drills and four hill strides, then upper body weights/core, and DIY yoga.
            Su: 14 miles progressive, split as first 4 averaging 8:33; next 6 averaging 7:26; last 4 averaging 6:51. Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards of recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Speaking of pinching water cups, I did a (new to me) race today where they had bioplastic cups. impossible to pinch. Only 6 miles, but the one time I took one, I didn't get much water from it. Wish they'd used paper cups which compost more quickly PLUS are pinchable!

This race is Wharf 2 Wharf 6mile, in Santa Cruz CA. point-to-point from a wharf in one beach town to a wharf in the next town over. notable rolling hills, yes 6 miles and not 10k. was in the elite corral and felt like a doof doing my high knees next to some east africans warming up. i am not in anything close to shape yet but mainly signed up for this because everyone speaks highly of it as a fun race, which it was! felt a bit like boston with everyone who lives on the course out on their lawns, bands every .5-1mile, etc. the top 100 finishers of each gender get a "special" jacket/long-sleeve tshirt, so that was a secondary goal.

I had no clue what shape I was in and was almost more anxious, because then you can't really set a race plan. I ended up going out too fast (there's a lot of hype at the start), Mile 1 in 6:21, then Miles 2-5 at 6:46-6:50, and then Mile 6 in 6:36. Total 40:06 for 6mi (6:41 pace) and 94th F. On some of the uphills I felt like  I was running 10min pace, but apparently not. Really felt the lack of fitness - was counting down mileage at just halfway. Snagged the top 100 (it was pretty close) and upon reflection am happy with it. Just ~5sec/mi off my 10k PR pace when not in shape at all, feels like I'm starting the season from a pretty good place. Cooled down back to the start so ended up with 14.5mi for the day, my longest since May.

matt- love you running with your sun, plus the competition!

rovatti and dwave, good weeks!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

OMR

Dwave/rovatti:  Good weeks (again) from both.

rlk:  Congrats on getting the jacket.  5sec/mile isn’t too far off of PR shape.

Week 3/16 - a bit of a cutback week:

M:  3.5

T:  9.3 w/8 x 0.15M @ 6% hard (7.0mph), 5 x 0.5M @ -2%

W:  3.7

T:  Rest

F:  10

S:  16

S:  Rest

Total:  42.5

mattw4jc

Matt: Man those are some fast miles. What's the requirement? I thought it was closer to an 8:00 pace.

This is a scholarship competition of sorts. They look at several things including school transcript, essay, recommendations, SAT score, interviews and the fitness test. So the faster the run, the more pull-ups and sit-ups, the higher the fitness score. My son is working on all of the above.

@rlk_117 - thanks and definitely a solid baseline to start from. And a good long run too!

@darkwave - you're the queen of variety. Do you ever look at total hours spent doing some sort of fitness activity? 20+ possibly? Awesome.

A decent week for me, although I did take off 2 days. Monday is a normal rest / gym day, but Friday I just couldn't do the 4am alarm and went back to sleep.

M - rest / weights and stretching at gym

T - easy 7 plus strides

W - easy 7 in morning; Tempo 3 @ 7:03 with son in evening

T - 10 @ 8:43

F - slacker

S - 14 @ 8:07 with the running group

S - 12 w/ 8 at 7:20 (marathon pace perhaps?)

54 miles total

And I'm still bike commuting about 26 - 29 miles per day. I was off work on Thursday, but biked 4 days for a total of 109 miles.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rovatti - Nice. Things OK with the URD?

DWave - Yet another nice week.

RLK - I hate that type of cup as well. Nice job on that race without great fitness. How's the top 100 jacket/shirt thing?

OMR - Good week. Do you have a treadmill that does decline by itself, or have you put something under the rear to allow for it?

Matt - Nice one. That's a ton of biking to/from work. E-bike, or "regular"?

I think last week was likely my best of the year so far. I switched a workout from Monday to Tuesday to take advantage of some cooler weather that was most welcome when it came through. I fully expected my LR to be a slog after the Friday workout (in which I bit off a bit more than I could chew), but it was probably my best feeling run of the year and my longest continuous run for quite some time.

Monday, Jul 22, 2019 thru Sunday, Jul 28, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                    Mon 11.1 8:12 2 hawks, 1 blue heron, and the mist 137 (70%) strava
                    Tue 12.8 7:19 5x (5 min Threshold effort, 1 min 5k effort - no recovery), 1E, 3.5 mi M effort 153 (78%) strava
                    Wed 11.4 8:21 4 deer (4 strides), 2 hawks, 2 rabbits, & 1 heron 133 (68%) strava
                    Thu 11.4 8:24 4 deer (4 strides), 2 hawks, 2 herons, & 2 ornate box turtles 139 (71%) strava
                    Fri 12.2 7:33 8x 4 min I 155 (79%) strava
                    Sat 15.2 8:12 5 rabbits, 1 deer (1 stride), 1 owl, and an Irish wrist watch 139 (71%) strava
                      74.1 7:58

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

mattw4jc

Matt - Nice one. That's a ton of biking to/from work. E-bike, or "regular"?

Regular road bike. Here's an older photo with the running shoes. I have a better trunk bag now that will hold shoes if needed.

Running Problem

Problem Child

matt sweet bike. Who says I've not replied here on a run already? 

rlk Cool race. Did you get in on a team entry? I've heard it's REALLY hard to get in. I was actually going to try and do it last year, park at the finish and run to the start (with NeRP probably) then head home. REALLY long drive home after....kids ruin everything...blah blah blah. Interesting on the cups. Would giving out rubber reusable ones be any better to you? Can't recycle rubber (you CAN reuse it) but it just reminds me of the time Jamil Coury ran a marathon and maybe ONE aid station was prepared to refill his cup. Where is the photo of this fancy jacket you won?  oh yeah...nice shoes. Zoom Flys or a new trial pair you're testing out?

dwave interesting. I guess I'd be afraid to drop the lid. Any reason you're logging the weather in the runs now? Keeping track for future races to compare heart rates? I previously did it for what I was wearing just in case I wondered what I'd need for 40F with 20 mph winds but sunny.

keen where are your cross training days? 

50 miles this week. About 22 pushing NeRP in the "Hot Wheels" BOB stroller. I'm either out of shape (probably), the run was extra hilly to avoid "non-stroller friendly" sections (probably), haven't run 10+ miles in about 8 weeks (probably) and I didn't have much time to recover after the run (probably) that made it suck. Sunday wasn't bad and since I was so close to 50, plus DW went to breakfast (shit show parking situation) so I had to kill the morning I rounded up to  a total of about 51ish miles.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11771317/training/log

Can't seem to remember the rwol.blogspotweekly thing. Plus it was hit/miss for me this year. Marathon prep should be starting this week/month. 23 mile trail "race" Saturday. Small race. I'm hoping to get an additional Kleen Kanteen pint cup for doing it. Should be a total of 10-15 people doing it.  On top of a spontaneous camping trip Friday - Sunday. At least it makes yard work non-existent when you're never home.  

in OTHER news....Everyone I can think of contacting is okay (Morgan Hill is close to Gilroy). The comment of "who you got beef with at the Garlic Festival?" sums up A LOT of my reaction. It makes sheet at work seem a TON less important. 

EDIT: IT WORKS! for the time being

Weekly Summary
                        Monday, Jul 22, 2019 thru Sunday, Jul 28, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description Link
                        Mon 6.4 8:35 That time all the cool kids are wearing belts today. strava
                        Wed 10.4 8:12 That time you might as well be productive. strava
                        Wed 4.5 9:07 That time we did the Seaver Six. strava
                        Thu 6.0 8:29 That time You don’t have to be lonelyyyyyyyyy strava
                        Sat 12.6 8:51 That time it’s harder than I remember. strava
                        Sun 10.7 9:15 That time I had a couple ‘F Words’ loaded up. strava
                          50.6 8:45  

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Matt - Carbon - swanky! I'm a little jealous. The secondary market for gravel bikes seems to be pretty dry here, but hopefully I'll find one before too long. Nice use of the bottle holders, too.

Brew - Dirt & Vert is right. That's a ridiculous course profile - looks like something Max would do for fun.
                          Cross training is difficult to log consistently. Right now it consists mostly of lifting/carrying around awkwardly shaped weights (read: daughters) that tend to squeal and squirm when they are being lifted. Trying to make running workout day = core/strength day as well.
                          Also: rwol-weekly.appspot.com/weekly/

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

workout day = core/strength day as well.
                            Also: rwol-weekly.appspot.com/weekly/

Kettle Bell swings. Squats. Weighted sprints. Leg Lifts. Just because the weight isn't cast iron, or motionless or really under your control, doesn't mean it doesn't count. hashtag dad life.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

matt- yay bike commuting!! love the running shoes in bottle cages.

brew- getting in is fine as long as you are at a computer within the ~hour of registration opening. also they do legitimate bib transfers which is nice. anyone in the running community here can find a bib easily in the weeks leading up to it.

ehh... I don't think kids ruin that drive, I think traveling excessively far for a race is the issue Wink  It is a fun one, if you do it in the future I'd make a bigger trip out of it. Lots of good stuff to do in the SC mountains, big basin, big sur, the 1, etc. You know this stuff. Also we actually had beach weather (the fog lifted at like 10am) so we stayed at the SC pier until the afternoon. I did a shit job sunscreening and my left side is super red but my right side is fine.

No, rubber is annoying. These are like the water table cups - you don't want to hold onto it the whole time (this is not an ultra). I support having people carry their own water conveyance in an ultra, since they probably need it anyway and are not going for land records. Some paper composts really nicely. Post-race, they had metal (aluminum?) bottles in the "gift bags" filled with water instead of those terrible "disposable" plastic 16.9 oz ones most races have. Liked that. Can use the metal bottle forever.
                              Shoes are just regular zoom fly. Bought a few more pairs on Poshmark last week since I found them for $50-70.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

matt- yay bike commuting!! love the running shoes in bottle cages.

brew- getting in is fine as long as you are at a computer within the ~hour of registration opening. also they do legitimate bib transfers which is nice. anyone in the running community here can find a bib easily in the weeks leading up to it.

ehh... I don't think kids ruin that drive, I think traveling excessively far for a race is the issue Wink  It is a fun one, if you do it in the future I'd make a bigger trip out of it. Lots of good stuff to do in the SC mountains, big basin, big sur, the 1, etc. You know this stuff. Also we actually had beach weather (the fog lifted at like 10am) so we stayed at the SC pier until the afternoon. I did a shit job sunscreening and my left side is super red but my right side is fine.

No, rubber is annoying. These are like the water table cups - you don't want to hold onto it the whole time (this is not an ultra). I support having people carry their own water conveyance in an ultra, since they probably need it anyway and are not going for land records. Some paper composts really nicely. Post-race, they had metal (aluminum?) bottles in the "gift bags" filled with water instead of those terrible "disposable" plastic 16.9 oz ones most races have. Liked that. Can use the metal bottle forever.
                                Shoes are just regular zoom fly. Bought a few more pairs on Poshmark last week since I found them for $50-70.

one whole hour to get into the race...may the odds be ever in your favor. I heard group/team entries are slightly better odds from my cousin two years ago. Those "disposable" water bottles (wife and I HATE them) are only disposable when you throw them away.  I've reused them previously prior to aluminum/bpa-free plastic "Nalgene" bottles being cool . Just like those plastic grocery bags almost no one reuses until Halloween. Glad you had good beach weather. Also glad you brought the right shoes this time. oh and that's now the SECOND time I'd have been running around you...well maybe not at 6:30 or faster pace.

VDOT 53.37