Adequate preparation for 5k (Read 701 times)

I'm as slow as you are, and I did my first 5k a few weeks ago. Contrary to Jake's prediction, I did nowhere near 38 minutes Sad ... but I wasn't last. (Then again, I'm not doing as many miles per week as you were yet. It was my third week of OHR.) I was second to last in my age group because I walked a bit on the final stretch to get some energy and sprint past that you-know-what who'd been in front of me the whole time -- I beat her by 5 seconds or so. I must admit, that was fun. Smile I was about 10th to last out of the whole thing. It was a small race that wasn't well advertised, so it was all skinny people who were part of the local running clique and I didn't fit in at all. It was a little humiliating and I didn't have a good time while I was there, but I'm really glad I did it. I'm doing another one in a few weeks (a much, much bigger one). So I hope it's inspiring to know that even if the race is a bad and embarrassing experience, I'm still happy to say I did it and I really enjoy wearing the t-shirt and showing it off to my friends. Smile
    mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Chris - Good luck in your race this weekend!
      celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Thank you! I actually feel really prepared and am aiming to get within Jake's 38 minute prediction. I'll have a race report up on Saturday, with photos if I can find the wire connecting my camera to my computer. Chris modified to fix the fact I cannot spell...

Chris
        PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k