No Shirt, No Shoes, No PROBLEM! (Read 1183 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

With all the barefoot trends... well...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

jfa

Good one. I'll have to remember that. 

I went to the gym yesterday to run the tm since it was 100* outside with severe t-storms approaching.                                                                                                                           

Only problem was I had forgotten to put running shoes in my bag.

I'll just endure the funny looks, says I, and run the tm barefoot.

Gym guy said no shoes, no go Joe.

Interesting.

I'm not a big flip-flop wearer, mainly I guess because my feet look like hell.

Anyway, we vacationed in Playa del Carmen two weeks ago (which was awesome by the way), and I said, "As God is my witness, I am NOT wearing shoes unless I have to".

Well, what ended up happening, was my toes ended up getting the crap rubbed out of them, and I ended up getting nasty blisters on the bottoms of them.  I think because you sort of, unknowingly, kind of grab the flip-flop with your toes to keep them on and get some type of support.

So, it ended up, my feet hurt like hell from all the walking in flip-flops, and I'm still, after two weeks, dealing with the blisters.

Jeff

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

...I still get service.

Tiefsa

...I still get service.

Ahhh!  Girl look at those flip flops.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The best is seeing my 4 year old walking around and quoting, "I'm sexy and I know it". 

Ahh, the joy of having teenage older sisters.

My friend's 5 year old son says, "I'm sixty and I know it."
                luken

RA's cranky old teenager

Interesting.

I'm not a big flip-flop wearer, mainly I guess because my feet look like hell.

Same. I'm always afraid to wear flip flops around my friends because my feet are pretty gross. Callouses all over and I currently have only 9 toenails. Oh, the joys of 50 mile weeks. 

I went to my doctor once for an ingrown toenail and he said, "Yeah, all the  runners that I see have feet that look like yours. But I guess distance runners aren't known for having beautiful feet..."

That's probably maybe mostly true.

Same. I'm always afraid to wear flip flops around my friends because my feet are pretty gross. Callouses all over and I currently have only 9 toenails. Oh, the joys of 50 mile weeks. 

I went to my doctor once for an ingrown toenail and he said, "Yeah, all the  runners that I see have feet that look like yours. But I guess distance runners aren't known for having beautiful feet..."

Last week we were on vacation at a lake with another family. One of the other woman asked me why my toenails were so short or missing.  I told her it was because of running and that I finally have my left big toe nail back after losing it 9 months ago during a marathon. She asked, "Is it worth it?" I of course replied, "Yes, their just toe nails. Who cares...."  Non-runners just don't understand...

Last week we were on vacation at a lake with another family. One of the other woman asked me why my toenails were so short or missing.  I told her it was because of running and that I finally have my left big toe nail back after losing it 9 months ago during a marathon. She asked, "Is it worth it?" I of course replied, "Yes, their just toe nails. Who cares...."  Non-runners just don't understand...

The first one I ever lost was after a 1/2 marathon.

I ran a marathon a few years later and lost like 5 or so. 

There's a lot of things non-runners don't understand.  About running, that is.

Jeff

The first one I ever lost was after a 1/2 marathon.

I ran a marathon a few years later and lost like 5 or so. 

There's a lot of things non-runners don't understand.  About running, that is.

Your supposed to lose toenails? I must be doing it wrong then Smile

Then again, I've never run a half marathon or a marathon so perhaps that is my problem.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Your supposed to lose toenails? I must be doing it wrong then Smile

Then again, I've never run a half marathon or a marathon so perhaps that is my problem.

I've run plenty of half- and full marathons and have never lost a toenail - I guess it just depends.

Plus I suspect that many people are running in shoes that are actually too small for them.

I've run plenty of half- and full marathons and have never lost a toenail - I guess it just depends.

Plus I suspect that many people are running in shoes that are actually too small for them.

When I was running that marathon, by around mile 20, my feet had swollen so much that I could feel my nails being pulled up with every step. 

But that really was the exception.  Otherwise, I never have foot issues.

Of course, now that  I said that, I'll probably develop blisters tomorrow.

Jeff

jfa

I'm training for my 10th marathon in 5 years and have never lost a toe nail.

I did lose my big toe nail once yanking a boat up a beach though. That really hurt.

It's really weird for me. I can wear the same training shoes w/out problems for many miles, then all of a sudden I get a blister. Like right now I have blisters on both pinky toes after no blisters for weeks/months. 

The last two marathons I wore the same flats and in the first, I got a huge blister under my left toe and subsequently lost the toe nail (that was actually pretty cool though when it popped).  The second marathon in the same flats, not a problem. I was actually expecting a problem in this most recent marathon because my feet started to get sore at mile 2.