Gabe Grunewald (Read 154 times)

undue monkey

I'm not sure what it is exactly that got to me more than any other similar story. Perhaps it's the combination of my life stage, having daughters ready to leave the nest with their whole lives in front of them, and her implacable drive to keep doing what she loved in the face of a merciless adversary.

The Brooks film looks pretty great, but it's half hour long and will have to wait until after work. Read the SI piece though, and don't take for granted any opportunity to get out the door or pin on a number.

"Many of us live every day in denial of our own mortality, gently nudging its presence to the perimeter of our existence. Gabe’s mortality was in her grill, and she punched at it until she could no longer lift her arms"

Thanks for starting this thread, Keith.

I shed actual tears (something I rarely do, unfortunately) starting at about 17:10.  The part of the film covering that race reminded me why I love sports, and ours in particular.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wow, what a fighter and an inspiration!

Have been seeing more of her lately, recent track meets, facebook etc...

Sad, but inspiring too.

Can't help but feel she accomplished a lot in her 32* years here!

300m- 37 sec.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I have met her a number of times.  She was amazing and inspiring.  So many people I know here in Minnesota taking it very hard.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Feel free to make a donation to her foundation where 100% of the funds go to cancer research.

BraveLikeGabe

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.