Going Back To ASICs... (Read 853 times)

Better I Leave

OK...

Maybe I need to see somebody about my "form", but in the meantime I'm switching back to ASICs and here's why...

I ran for the longest time in Reebok Runtones. For gym work they served their purpose. I ran in ASICs for my Tough Mudders...but I decided to try some Sauconys and they seemed to allow me to increase my pace. But my last 10K and this 5K I just ran today....my left calf is hurting. Maybe it's my form, but I've never had this problem with my Reeboks or ASICs. I just ordered some Kayana 18s and we'll see what they do.

Wish me luck as I've got another 10K in 2 weeks and a half in 1.5 months. Smile

Mmmmm...beer

I'm pretty new to this running thing, but I'd have to say that there are way too many different models/styles in each brand to say that any one entire brand is better/worse than another.  Have you looked at the differences between the shoes you've run in, heel drop, support, etc.?

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

You should check out the Mizuno Inspires.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Do you know whether you need neutral or stability shoes? Also, were the Saucony shoes of the minimalist variety (which can cause calf pain if not transitioned into)? I agree that this is too broad of a statement to really see what the problem was or what the right shoe is for you. For what it's worth, I think Saucony and Asics on the whole are better for running than the Reebok offerings, but there are so many models of shoe in each brand, it's hard to tell what went wrong for you. I would also hesitate to suggest anybone certain shoe, knowing nothing about you (and I personally abhor the feel of Mizuno shoes). At any rate, good luck with the Kayano--I've never run in them but many people love them.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

allow me to increase my pace.

Do you think what you mentioned in the quote above could be the issue? Your muscle may be responding to the extra work it is not use to. How many miles did you run in the shoes? Did you try running in them with your regular routine?

whatever you do get outta the Reebok Runtones ASAP!

where do you live?  I'd like to send you to your local run specialty shop.. they will help you out and get you into the best shoe possible!

---------

Better I Leave

whatever you do get outta the Reebok Runtones ASAP!

where do you live?  I'd like to send you to your local run specialty shop.. they will help you out and get you into the best shoe possible!

I haven't been running in the Runtones in ages now and I only wear them when I lift. I live in Amador County which is about 50 miles out from Sacramento/Folsom California. I'd love to talk to someone in a specialty shop, so thanks. Smile

I ran an easy 3.7 miles today in the ASICs and it felt good. Maybe I do need to "slowly" migrate to the Sauconys (ProGrid Guide 5). Still feeling a slight "twinge" from last week so I took it easy, didn't push myself, and felt really good after my run. Smile

Coastal

Definitely get fitted for shoes at a reputable LRS ASAP.

Also, don't over think this.  If you ran hard your soreness could just be the result of that.  Most people get sore someplace when they suddenly toss in a hard or maximum effort, even when they are very well trained.  Your issues could simply be that.  By the way, trying to run hard and increase pace often leads to injury.

There's tons of info on the internet about shoes, some very good, some awful.  For now stick with reputable sources.  Runners World, for example, has a good rep and a pretty decent explanation of the differences in traditional shoes on their website.  Some online vendors do, too.  I think running warehouse may.  It wouldn't hurt to know the basic differences between neutral (cushion) shoes, stability shoes and differences in the range of stability, and motion control.  Plus you should know why there are differences as they can be significant.  There are some who disagree with the whole idea, and some new concepts in how to fit shoes, but this system has worked for most people for a long time and most LRS' use it.  This knowledge will help you ask good questions at the LRS.

They will likely check you for high, medium (average) or low (flat foot) arches.  If they are good they will watch you run or put you on a treadmill and check to see if you over-pronate, supinate, or whatever.  The better stores will let you take the shoes out and actually run in them outside the store before buying them.  Check for return policy as well.  You may have a 30 day exchange policy if you run in them for a bit and they don't work for you.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Hey Dave!

Out there I think your best bet is Fleet Feet Sacramento.   Great people and the best selection of shoes out there!!!

I haven't been running in the Runtones in ages now and I only wear them when I lift. I live in Amador County which is about 50 miles out from Sacramento/Folsom California. I'd love to talk to someone in a specialty shop, so thanks. Smile

I ran an easy 3.7 miles today in the ASICs and it felt good. Maybe I do need to "slowly" migrate to the Sauconys (ProGrid Guide 5). Still feeling a slight "twinge" from last week so I took it easy, didn't push myself, and felt really good after my run. Smile

---------

Better I Leave

Hey Dave!

Out there I think your best bet is Fleet Feet Sacramento.   Great people and the best selection of shoes out there!!!

On J street, gotcha. Muchas gracias. I'm on their website now. My wife has an eye appointment in Roseville today so I just might accompany her and pay them a visit.

how'd it go at Fleet Feet?

---------

Better I Leave

how'd it go at Fleet Feet?

I didn't make it. Ran into some issues at work that required my attention that day. Sad

FWIW, the ASIC Kayano 18s I've been running with are working for me so far. I still plan on going into Fleet Feet with the first opportunity.

sweet!  keep us posted

---------