1 Month Until First Half Marathon (Read 33 times)

Chicago33

I have a little less than a month until I am scheduled to run my first half marathon. I have been following an informal training plan which has been working out pretty well for me. I had a minor surgery which set me back a big (and still bothering me a little), but I ran 13.1 miles on Saturday. It wasn't easy but I was able to do it without any issues.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for over the next month of training. And then maybe more specifically for the week of the race and days leading up to it. Thanks

Luciplay

I'd do a slow progression just to cater to my injury. Also, I'd chill a bit on the week of the marathon.

arunnerd

Roads Scholar

Many people run their first HM with no more than a 10M long run during their training.  So, clearly you have plenty of endurance.  In order to make any real progress between now and a race in a few weeks you would need to be able to do some hard workouts now followed up with a week-ish taper period with extra rest.  Hard workouts now seem like a bad idea though, with lingering issues of recovery from your minor surgery.   Even assuming the surgery was non-running related, your body needs resources and rest to heal properly.  I would focus instead on getting 100% healthy, running just enough to keep the rust from accumulating, and enter race day feeling strong.  Look at it this way, whatever your race result is it is guaranteed to be a PR. 

I strive towards laconic wit, my wife says I'm halfway there.

arunnerd.blogspot.com