More miles than degrees club (Read 4509 times)

The Running Philosopher

I find this whole thread upsetting, because I loathe the cold and for me, the warmer the better!  That's why I'm looking at one of the desert stage-races for next year.

But ... my best chance to join the club might be at the Never Summer 100K this summer.  It's 64 miles, so if we have a warm-ish day, maybe I'll make the cut.

A technical question:  Do we count the high temperature for the run, or the average?

-- The Running Philosopher

www.RunningPhilosopher.com

------------------------------------

Andrew Brodsky, Writer and Researcher

Life, one mile at a time.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I find this whole thread upsetting, because I loathe the cold and for me, the warmer the better!  That's why I'm looking at one of the desert stage-races for next year.

But ... my best chance to join the club might be at the Never Summer 100K this summer.  It's 64 miles, so if we have a warm-ish day, maybe I'll make the cut.

A technical question:  Do we count the high temperature for the run, or the average?

-- The Running Philosopher

That'd be pretty good.  I assume you're not going to try competing with bhearn?

I arbitrarily set the rule for myself that I use the temp that RA shows for the beginning of the run.  Your rules may vary.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Been a while since I was here (or since I qualified).  I renewed my membership with 10 miles in 7º.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Northern Wisconsin makes it easy for me - 5.4 miles at -17 degrees last Monday, followed by 6.3 miles at -15 degrees yesterday.

My avatar photo is after 11 miles at -10 degrees.  Cold on the outside, warm on the inside.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Just realized, I'm back in! 17 mi this AM, with temps between 5 and almost 10F. Actually was pretty decent! Ran with a friend; avoided the wind.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

17 in 10 Saturday (1/15). Had another earlier this year...I think it was 6 in 5 or something like that. Looking forward to a 1 in 0 day! 

kcam

I hope to never have to join this club! 

bhearn

I had a few last year I didn't log... 314 miles in ~90 degrees, 153 miles in ~85 degrees, and 109 miles in ~70 degrees. OK, those are approximate highs during the races.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I had a few last year I didn't log... 314 miles in ~90 degrees, 153 miles in ~85 degrees, and 109 miles in ~70 degrees. OK, those are approximate highs during the races.

I think that counts, honestly.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Actually, more degrees than miles would have been very bad in those cases.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

How exactly does a 314 mile race work?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

bhearn

Basically, you run across Tennessee.

https://vacationwithoutacar.com

How exactly does a 314 mile race work?

bhearn

Yes indeed. Badwater a few years ago was close, 135 miles in 128 degrees (high).

Actually, more degrees than miles would have been very bad in those cases.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

It doesn't often get cold enough in my part of NJ for me to qualify, unless I'm marathon training or I count the wind chill.

Nice job to the other recent qualifiers as well as the ultra qualifier.  :-)

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

makes winter running, at least in SE Michigan, sound easy!