Runners Who Smoke or, Smokers Who Run (Read 3112 times)

servingthealiens

I don't smoke - used to, but quit several year ago.  Running helped a lot with that.

However, when I first started running, I hadn't quit "for real" yet.  I had cut WAY back, from 1 - 1 1/2 packs/day to 1-3 cigs a day, but I still wasn't all the way there.  I noticed that if I smoked even ONE cigarette, I couldn't run for shit.  Granted, at that time, I was horribly out of shape too, having never done any "real" exercise since High School (the duration of which I also smoked), so that figured into it as well.

I just don't get it.  I mean, people can do what they want, and smoking and working out is probably better than smoking and not working out, but I don't understand how it's physically possible.  How can you have any endurance to speak of?  Your lungs are functioning at all.

I don't mean the people who smoke a cigarette or two out at the bars.  Of course that's not GOOD, but it's probably not going to do you any sort of measurable damage.  I'm talking about regular, daily smokers.

Do we have any here?  Have you ever at any point smoked and ran?  If you still smoke, what are your runs like?

when i first started running i was a regular smoker. i would probably go through a half pack a day usually, but if i was drinking i could easily burn through a whole pack in one night. i never noticed a huge difference in my running, i was pretty much at the same pace then as i am now, my last smoke was nov. 15th 2009.

if youre interested theres a group for smoker support.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

speaking as a ex-smoker, i think that it is the very young people who can combine running with smoking.  

up to a point.

the older a person gets and the more that they smoke the harder it becomes.  in my experience.

also, it sounds very much like you are trying to talk yourself into something that you will regret?

don't do it!  just don't do it!

steph  

servingthealiens

speaking as a ex-smoker, i think that it is the very young people who can combine running with smoking.  up to a point.

and the older a person gets and the more that they smoke the harder it becomes.

also, it sounds very much like you are trying to talk yourself into something that you will regret?

LOL wut?

I have no intention at all of ever returning to smoking.  Not even one.  I know one would lead to two, two to five, five to a pack and then there you go.

Giving up smoking was one of the hardest things I've ever done, and I'm not sure I could do it again.  Smoking was one of the dumbest things I've ever done, and I wish I could have all that money and all of those missed opportunities back.  I have no desire to waste money I don't have a lot of on something that [for me] provides me no benefit, especially when my cat just needed $1000 of surgery, and may need something else in the future. He just turned 11, and has had some minor health problems crop up since this past winter (the surgery was 2 teeth that needed to come out and what ended up being a benign mass removed from the base of his tail).  He's worth more to me than a pointless addiction.

And, for the first time in my life, I'm in semi-decent shape and noticing real gains.  I'm not going to put myself in a position to throw that away.

I know I'd regret it, so I don't know how on earth you got that, honestly.

I only asked the question because while fishing on the lakeshore earlier today, I saw a guy finish a run along the bike path... and light a cigarette.  Then I remembered back to when I smoked and ran and got curious.  Nothing more. 

servingthealiens

speaking as a ex-smoker, i think that it is the very young people who can combine running with smoking.  up to a point.

I do agree with this, though.  Up to a point.  I remember a kid named Kevin who was our hometown track star.  Kid was running 5:00 flat miles in 9th grade.  And he smoked.  Legal and illegal stuff.  I guess I was impressed, but looking back, I wonder how good he would have REALLY been had he not smoked.  But at the time, it didn't seem to effect him much.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

ah, glad to hear itSmile

steph  

Man in Tights

I smoke two cigarellos with my two shots of whiskey every evening. An old habit of mine. So I you could call me a habitual smoker.

It's really never really affected my running or swimming.

I suppose my body has learnt to cope with this.

I hope.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I only asked the question because while fishing on the lakeshore earlier today, I saw a guy finish a run along the bike path... and light a cigarette. 

So, did you post because it gave you the opportunity to be sanctimonious?

I have been known to light up after a nice little long run. I have also been known to light up during a long race. Do not judge me though.

Chris UK

Do not judge me though.

Smoking whilst racing - I can see no other option for you my lad - 

"You shall be taken henceforth to the place  from whence you came and from there be taken to a place of execution where you shall be hung by the neck until dead.

I presume your last request will be a ciggie.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Purdey

Self anointed title

Smoking whilst racing - I can see no other option for you my lad - 

"You shall be taken henceforth to the place  from whence you came and from there be taken to a place of execution where you shall be hung by the neck until dead.

I presume your last request will be a ciggie.

Probably a Cuban cigar. I did win the race, so there is that. (Not that I am recommending this as a remotely sensible, intelligent or healthy thing to do).

One of the times I ran the Boston Marathon, I believe it was 1996 for the 100th, I saw a guy decked out in Marlboro attire running and chain smoking butts. Not sure if he finished or not, but he did have a number and it was around mile 7.

Scout7

I once saw a German Soldier who was in the process of taking the forced road march part of his qualification testing smoking Marlboros while jogging along in boots and full backpack.  He was managing better than 15:00 min/mile pace, too, for 30 km.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Ich bin ein Berliner.

Scout7

Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss.

There, that's what you really meant.

Ostrich runner

I smoked during college when I was running 80-90 per week and didn't notice at all. After that, I quit running for several years. When I started back up, I noticed quite a bit. Every now and then I have a week or two where I'll relapse, but I'll usually keep running. I don't notice any ill effects so long as it doesn't go past a couple weeks. A couple cigars here and there doesn't bother me at all. Most long races I enjoy a cigar and several beers afterwards.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum