Sub-17 Thread (Read 465 times)

I gave it my best shot this weekend.  I ended up with a 17:11.  I was happy with the result and know that I am close-ish to sub 17 shape.  However, 4 seconds faster per mile just seems so unlikely.  I have one last shot at it for this year in 2 weeks.

Looks like you had a great race. Headwind in the final mile can be brutal. And never underestimate a good taper.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

Tiefsa

Does it matter how old you were when you ran sub 17, or does it have to be now?  I know I'll never be as fast as I was in HS or College.

Current PR: Just started running again and ran 3.03 miles in 24:40.  So let's say my current PR for a 5K is 25:00

Sub-17:  Yes  16:40

Age when I went Sub-17: 17

Looks like this thread is fading. I am still trying and ran 17:05 today. Going to try again later this summer. Hopefully less wind next time.

Tweeeked

Looks like this thread is fading. I am still trying and ran 17:05 today. Going to try again later this summer. Hopefully less wind next time.

You're getting there! I ran 17:20 in March mid-marathon training. I too think/hope I can get it sometime this summer.

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
            • 10k: sub-36
            • Half: sub-76
            • Full: 2:45 in Boston

1705! Good grief. That is within any margin of error. Just run a few and it will come.

Ran a 1634 a few weeks ago.

Trying for sub-1630 on Sunday. Finishing in the top 10 would be nice. Its a super fast field.

Pretty quiet on this thread so I thought I'd give an update.  I sort of made it...I ran 16:29 at a local 5K last weekend.  It is a mile from my house (my warm up is to run to the starting line) and it has always been USATF certified.  They changed the course due to construction and didn't certify the new one.  I had it at 3:06 on the GPS...others I talked to ranged from 3.06 - 3.07 as well so I'm calling it a short course.  Even so, the 0.04 - 0.05 shortage should have been 14-18 seconds at 5:23 pace so it should have been a 16:43 - 16:47.  So I'm pissed that the course was short and not certified because it was perfect conditions, a fast field, and I'm pretty sure I was there.  But alas, I'll race a bigger, certified 5K in September on the lead up to Chicago Marathon so hopefully I can repeat it then.

Going off your watch distance may not be accurate either. There is a certified course near my house that is run often. My watch always calls it short. Of course waiting for that certified 5k might be the best option. If you are in 1645 shape, then sub-17 should be pretty easy.

Tweeeked

michaelmarty, I would be tempted to err on the side of you being sub-17, but definitely up to you. Always good to race a lot. Want me to update your line in the table or leave it for the next attempt?

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
                    • 10k: sub-36
                    • Half: sub-76
                    • Full: 2:45 in Boston

Nah, no gratification until there is no asterisk.  Thanks though.

michaelmarty, I would be tempted to err on the side of you being sub-17, but definitely up to you. Always good to race a lot. Want me to update your line in the table or leave it for the next attempt?