Run 4 Luck - Almost an AG Placement! (Read 526 times)

Yesterday, I ran the Run 4 Luck in Lancaster - a 4 mile course in its second year. It's my last race before my sprint triathlon next month but the only other race I've done in the past three months was a crazy trail run, so I was using it as a way to figure out where I was fitness-wise... I'd set a goal of 28 minutes, but wasn't sure how close I'd be. And then the day before the race, we got seven inches of snow (!), which meant I was constantly checking the website to see if it was still on... and surprisingly, it was. Turn-out for the race was definitely lighter than last year... all results haven't been posted yet, but I'm guessing anywhere from 1/3-1/2 fewer people... might not have been more than 150 in the whole race. The roads were about 50% snow covered for the race, though not as bad as I'd expected. It was a suburban neighborhood course, though - tons of turns which all had to be taken slow. The first mile was downhill, and I hoped to do it in 6:45-6:55... Whoops... I did it in 6:30. The second mile was uphill... coupled with my stupid first mile I did the second one in 7:55. So much for even splits.... 3rd one was 6:49 and I realized I had a chance to be under 28. I did a 6:37 for my final mile, coming in at 27:50. Bummer of the day was this dude chasing me down over the last mile... I heard him getting closer and closer.. he passed with about 200 meters left, and me of little kick could do nothing about it. In the end, he got 3rd in my age group and I got 4th... that being said, my time last year would've been like 8th in the age group... much smaller turn-out this year. Overall, I was 23rd.. when my name is on the first row of strips on the board, you know turn-out is light. Smile All in all, I was happy... first race uner 7/mile since I came back to running last year and my final tune-up complete before my first triathlon... only 1 month away!

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

va

Congratulations Marcus! Great showing and finish time! It looks like your training is paying off. Well done! Smile
        Good race! Too bad about that guy taking your 3rd place from you!! Still a great finish time. Yes

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Great job Marcus. Big grin
          that being said, my time last year would've been like 8th in the age group... much smaller turn-out this year. Overall, I was 23rd.. when my name is on the first row of strips on the board, you know turn-out is light. Smile
          And don't cheat yourself out of an opportunity to feel good about your accomplishment i.e. don't talk yourself down due to the weather/turnout. It's very modest of you, but you needn't cede anything to people who didn't bother to show up. Yes

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

that's an awesome accomplishment! WOW! great race! I understand that feeling of being passed on the final stretch. One of my dh's lifeguard buddies just barely passed me in my last 10k race...he beat me by 17 seconds! The kicker? he ran past me with his arms out like he was riding a bike and he SMILED!!! turkey! Tongue It's all good though.

Jennifer mm#1231

he ran past me with his arms out like he was riding a bike and he SMILED!!!
              hehe.. those with the kicks always drive me nuts. Smile Thanks for all the kind comments!

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

hehe.. those with the kicks always drive me nuts. Smile
                That's all us sprinters have, LOL! I know I can poke along for hours, but give me that last few hundred yards and I shine. Still in the last half of the pack, but I feel on fire! Wink You did great! I'll bet if the weather had been more favorable that the race would have had better turn-out. You get kudos just for braving the elements! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay