Opinion on Schedule & Cardio (Read 113 times)

Cyrup

Hello,

So recently I've been getting a bit stressed and overthinking my 'workout' schedule a lot. I used to have a schedule where I would run Tuesday, thursday, saturday, and sunday, with strength/resistance training on monday/wednesday/friday, and some sort of 15m Abs/core work out on tuesdays/thursdays/saturdays. 

Basically, I've decided I quite dislike running, in particular on the weekends, and that was to much exercise for me. I'd rather get it all done in the week.
    I am quite fit and I'm not looking to lose weight, only to maintain it and tone (or lose the small amount of fat that is there) my abs (and body if possible). 
    I'm still undecided on what to change in my schedule, however; to achieve these goals. 

I currently have a week like this:

Monday - Run + Abs/Core
    Tuesday - Swimming (squad training)
    Wednesday - semi rest, Pilates class at school 
    Thursday - Run + Strength +Resistance training 
    Friday - Abs/Core
    Saturday - Possible run or otherwise cardio 
    Sunday - Rest (usually working) 

My runs are usually 5k and other than pilates/swimming all other exercises go for 15-20m. I'm 15 years old, turning 16 soon. 

I've heard it's good to run 3 times a week. However I've also heard it's good to do at least 3x vigorous activity in the week. Can swimming on tuesday replace or count as a run? How many times should running be done in the week, along with other activities? I'd rather have my more relaxed or rest days on the weekend if possible, or do at-home cardio then. Can at-home cardio such as dance/workout videos (example, Blogilaties  )  replace running? I've found I'm no where near the best runner, however I withstand many other cardio exercises and enjoy them a lot more. 

In short, any opinions on my 'schedule' throughout the week or advice on what I should/shouldn't do is very much appreciated! I get home quite late, around 5:10pm, so I don't have a large amount of time to work out.
    Sorry for all the questions....Thanks!

A Saucy Wench

If your main goal is tone, I would focus on  weight training more.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If your main goal is tone, I would focus on  weight training more.

But I like all the variety in your routine.  You're young, and it's a great time to try out a lot of things.  Here, we're somewhat biased toward running, in case you haven't noticed. Smile  Try stuff, and keep up your active lifestyle!

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

You know, if you dislike running, you don't have to do it at all.  More time in the pool will make you a better swimmer, if that's your preferred sport, and it's great full-body exercise and cardio.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

You know, if you dislike running, you don't have to do it at all.  More time in the pool will make you a better swimmer, if that's your preferred sport, and it's great full-body exercise and cardio.

+1

At your age, you are better off with a mix of exercises than with any single one. If you have to force yourself to do something that you really don't like, you will end up quitting it sooner or later anyway.   Better to focus on finding something that you like to do.