Scaring people while running (Read 1036 times)

CT JEFF

My goal wasnt to scare anybody - so I didnt wear this while running around town after Halloween. Also, its a little hard to see out of.

But I did wear my Skeleton Suit on 1/1/13 for a 10K. NO, I still didnt scare anybody, but got some good attention.

SKELETON MASK

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

the kenyan

Y'all are polite.  If there's enough space to simply pass on one side, then I'll pass.  If the path is too small, then an 'on your left' suffices.  I try to make more noise when I'm approaching people who don't appear to detect my presence yet.   But if there are 5 people douchily walking abreast and taking up the path, then all bets are off.

Loves the outdoors

I hadn't thought much about this, but after a pretty scary incident yesterday I am changing my approach.  I was running on a trail I run frequently. It has some narrow sections, with 20-30m cliffs along some parts. A guy died last year on the same trail mountain biking, but as long as you pay attention it's never been much of a concern to me while running. Yesterday I was catching up to a woman walking with a young baby in a backpack along this narrower section of trail. I thought she had hear me coming behind her with the noise I was making on the gravel. Clearly I was wrong as when I was only a few metres behind her she finally heard me and stepped off to her left a little startled to let me past. However, left was the cliff and I saw her balance start to go and I lunged and grabbed her by her arm. I really think if I hadn't grabbed her she would have gone over and I wish I had been wearing a HRM, as I suspect it would have been interesting to see my HR spike. All ended ok, but I finished my run feeling a bit shaken. I will definitely be giving some earlier warning noises on this part of the trail in future!

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Ultra Cowboy

My goal wasnt to scare anybody - so I didnt wear this while running around town after Halloween. Also, its a little hard to see out of.

But I did wear my Skeleton Suit on 1/1/13 for a 10K. NO, I still didnt scare anybody, but got some good attention.

Uh Huh....

WYBMADIITY

Save

I hadn't thought much about this, but after a pretty scary incident yesterday I am changing my approach.  I was running on a trail I run frequently. It has some narrow sections, with 20-30m cliffs along some parts. A guy died last year on the same trail mountain biking, but as long as you pay attention it's never been much of a concern to me while running. Yesterday I was catching up to a woman walking with a young baby in a backpack along this narrower section of trail. I thought she had hear me coming behind her with the noise I was making on the gravel. Clearly I was wrong as when I was only a few metres behind her she finally heard me and stepped off to her left a little startled to let me past. However, left was the cliff and I saw her balance start to go and I lunged and grabbed her by her arm. I really think if I hadn't grabbed her she would have gone over and I wish I had been wearing a HRM, as I suspect it would have been interesting to see my HR spike. All ended ok, but I finished my run feeling a bit shaken. I will definitely be giving some earlier warning noises on this part of the trail in future!

Thank goodness you reacted quickly and were able to grab her!