Fasting and running (Read 117 times)

Member Since 2008

I usually fast for 72 hours per week yet continue running, usually taking one day off per week (sometimes).  Is there anyone else out the who fasts?  Comments?  Recommendations?

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Define fasting. Are you saying no food, no food and water, but 72 hours in a row? If just fluids, is it only neutral (water) or fluids that have calories like milk, pop, juice?

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

I'm always fasting when running.

Unless I feel like crap, and then I'm slowing while running.

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

SMART Approach

Define fasting and then I would ask WHY? The human body needs fuel and nutrition. Athletes need more.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Member Since 2008

Only water.  I have hypothyroidism and it's the only way I have found to control my weight especially as I get older.  If I eat as I should for a runner, I find I gain about 2 to 3 pounds per week.  When I fast as I do now, I typically loose about a pound per week.

But how do you fast? Full days? Intermittent?

I do intermittent 16/8 and run in the mornings when I haven't eaten for 14+ hours. It was a little hard at first, but now I don't notice any difference from when I used to eat before I ran. However, I can't fathom not eating for 24 or more hours and trying to run.

dtresca

I'm always fasting when running.

Unless I feel like crap, and then I'm slowing while running.

I'm laughing. Awesome.

Luciplay

Fasting depends on what you want. Are you after metabolic benefits or speed, intensity, energy? There are pros and cons which should help you decide if it's worth it.

kcam

But how do you fast? Full days? Intermittent?

I do intermittent 16/8 and run in the mornings when I haven't eaten for 14+ hours. It was a little hard at first, but now I don't notice any difference from when I used to eat before I ran. However, I can't fathom not eating for 24 or more hours and trying to run.

This is how I've always structured my running/eating.  Weekends I don't eat until I get back from Sat morn club workout, Sun I don't eat until I get back from morning long run.  During the week I'm a lunch-time runner so I don't eat at all until I get back from my lunch run.  Once you get used to it you're fine.  I went from 185 to 150 over a couple years doing this.

Example - ate at 6:30PM last night, had a small snack at about 8:00PM, slept at 10PM, woke up at 7AM, grabbed a water bottle and went to the track for an interval session.  6X800 with 400 jog recovery.  With warmup and cooldown about 8 miles.  Now having coffee and oatmeal.  Totally sustainable long term for me.  Works well for racing too, since you're used to performing without a bunch of stuff sloshing around in your stomach, no GI issues at races ever for me.

The Running Philosopher

I don't think there's any solid research evidence for or against fasting.  The key is to listen to your body and what it needs.  Try out some different nutritional routines and see what works and feels good for you.

The more I read about different training and nutrition regimens, the less I believe there is one correct way -- but I'm a skeptic at heart.

How has your fasting regimen worked so far?  Do you feel good (i.e., strong, awake, healthy, happy) doing it?  Or like you're craving food?  Adjust accordingly :-)

------------------------------------

Andrew Brodsky, Writer and Researcher

www.RunningPhilosopher.com

Life, one mile at a time.

MJeffery

I do intermittent fasting but certainly never fasted for 72 hours. I try to do a 24-hour fast once a month on a non-running day. Otherwise I do 16/8. I don't have any problems running up to about 15 miles fasted. For longer runs and speed workouts I do eat breakfast. Like someone else said, I don't think there's any solid evidence about what works best. You just have to figure out what works for you with trial an error.