Choosing My First Race (Read 374 times)

Originally, I was training for a marathon as my first race. I thought it would be wise to scale back to a half and have been following the last six weeks of a HM training program for a HM trail race to be held on April 12. On the same day/location there is a 10k. While I'd like to do the HM, I also want to be a runner for years to come. This is an overview of the course: http://www.thenorthface.com/endurancechallenge/races/2008/bmn_overview.html Any advice?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

My legs are killing me

My thought is what's the rush to do a half for your first race? 10k is alot of fun and I think it will help you build your confidence for future races. But if you want to do the half go for it. Big grin
        The first HM distance I did was a leg of "The Great Canadian Death Race," which has terrain similar to what the Northface endurance challenge is advertising. It was great fun, but much slower and a different experience than the HM's (on road) I ran later that year. As I was novice and naive, and didn't do any hill training (bad idea when you're running up a mountain) I ended up walking a lot of the hills and exhausting myself due to the mountain terrain. Thus being said, the race atmosphere was amazing... as I imagine it would be on the northface run! You would efinately get faster times in a road race, but if you're feeling up to it... I say GO FOR IT! I'd do the HM! It will be a great experience, especially in a race of this nature! Smile Then train and do another road HM or full marathon come fall and smoke your times!
        jeffdonahue

Looking at your training log, if you have run those long runs (18 miles) then you should have not problem finishing the half marathon. It is all up to preference. For your first race ever I would pick a larger race rather than a smaller one because there are more people to help pull you along and pace off of. Also, they tend to be more fun and social. I have run smaller races where I got out on the course and by mile 5 I might as well have been running a training run by myself because I saw no other people for the rest of the race.
            Thanks so much, guys!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus