Runner's World magazine...worth it? (Read 1092 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What's your take? Is it worth the paper it's printed on, or can I get most info. online? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

When my subscription runs out, I won't be renewing it. There really isn't much new information regarding running. The stories about people are interesting, but everything else is recycled on a yearly basis. I'm not faulting Runner's World. I mean, there's only that much you can talk about the science and theories of running. If you never read it, I would suggest that you subscribe to it for a year and then drop it.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The stories about people are interesting, but everything else is recycled on a yearly basis. I'm not faulting Runner's World. I mean, there's only that much you can talk about the science and theories of running. If you never read it, I would suggest that you subscribe to it for a year and then drop it.
        Sounds like a lot of publications. I got Parenting for a few years and after about the first year I was bored to tears--how much about raising kids really changes from year to year (and articles about newborns were boring once my kid was over a year)? Mostly it was just ads. I may just take your recommendation to subscribe for a year. I have seen some really cheap deals on eBay. k

~ Sarah Kay

gimme some sugar, baby

I bought the latest issue at an airport a week or so ago. Runners world is fun to read... every now and then, that is. If you're looking for some incredible information on running, I get all of mine right here: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=308471
          George: Runner/Law Student
          www.gimme-five.com
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, that website is thorough! I just bookmarked that...looks like I could spend hours, heck, DAYS there! k

~ Sarah Kay

I stopped subscribing years ago. Worth the paper it's printed on? Probably. Worth the subscription price? Doubtful. If you want entertainment, read it. If you want solid training advice and articles, you'll probably need to go elsewhere. Running Times is a good mag, but isn't as pretty as runners world.
              Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I stopped subscribing years ago. Worth the paper it's printed on? Probably. Worth the subscription price? Doubtful. If you want entertainment, read it. If you want solid training advice and articles, you'll probably need to go elsewhere. Running Times is a good mag, but isn't as pretty as runners world.
                I much prefer the covers of Running Times over Runner's World's. RW displays models on its covers, which makes it look like a general health magazine instead of a running one.
                  I dunno, I find it motivating. It's not so much the articles; they do get repetitive, but just reading about running makes me want to get out there, especially after recovering from an injury. I always make alternative plans (bike riding, elliptical trainer, etc...) until my next issue of RW arrives, and then my injury suddenly feels good enough to try an easy 3 miles, and the next thing you know...
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The more I think about it, the more I think any magazine is probably a waste of my $ at this point...especially when I have this place. You guys are all so great about answering my noob questions, supporting your fellow RA members (whether they be complete novices, those of us with some running background in our distant pasts, or seasoned pros), and there's plenty of posting of some really awesome, inspiring run and race accounts as it is. Everything I would benefit from in a running publication is already right here! AND it's interactive and doesn't waste any trees, either. Smile I think my subscription money is much better spent supporting this place. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Eryn

Search Ebay for RW-- I got a 2 year subscription to RW and another running magazine for under $20. It's definitely worth it for that price.

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

Wish I read this two weeks ago before I sent in my subscription. Oh well I will try it for a year. Dan
                        JakeKnight

It depends. Do you want pure information, solely for the purpose of improving your running, with as much new and up to date information as possible? Or - do you want to enjoy yourself reading a magazine about something that interests you, and pick up some good info along the way? If you answered A - there are other publications you might find more useful, or you could hit the library (it's free!), or get yourself a coach. Or use the internet, of course ... but I'd be careful. Just like I'm not entirely convinced that Elvis is actually living with Big Foot in a small 2-bedroom condo in Orange County (even though I read it on the net!), I'm not sure I buy all the stuff on running I read on the Wacky Wide Web. If you answered B - or partly B - you'll dig Runner's World. Personally, I LOVE it. I'll probably subscribe 'til I'm a 100. It ranks right up there with 'Cigar Aficionado,' in my book. But I admit that the posters above are right: I love Runner's World for the pleasure I get from the mag, not necessarily because it gives me all the best info I couldn't find elsewhere. (Although I'll challenge anybody to find something better than the article a couple issues back on older runners ... or that photo essay on NYC marathon finishers. But again, that's stuff about runners or running ... not really specific stuff to make you faster). Did any of the above make sense?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Yes, great website. I vote "weeks" to get through all that info. And in my "spare time" I'll be doing just that! Thanks for the link George.
                            JosanRuter

If you are looking to get a good grade on your paper look no further! This affordablepapers service always delivers an «A» paper. The writers has great communication and always understands what I need. Even though I wrote a similar paper once last year, I already forgot how to do this analysis and understand that it will take too much time to reread the theory and then write the paper based on it. Thanks for making my life easier!