Miami Marathon (Read 779 times)

3:59:13 ... knocked 11 minutes off the PR ... without going into the play by play ... had targeted a 3:45 and was right on track until around 22. The payback for a collection of mistakes [hydration; diet; sleep and early speed = things went down hill really fast -- impossibly fast. Besides the puking [2x's on course and once at the finish [which got me a "nice dude -- nice" ... , I don't think I was prepared to go from 10 degrees in NJ to 70 in Florida -- what was described by the locals as "perfect" weather -- made it feel like I was melting. I did, however, have a ton of fun and met some great people. Looking forward to some halfs later this winter and Spring and then cooler Fall marathon [probably Steamtown in Oct] with more LSD plus learning how to work in hills and speed.

2012= under-goaled

Glad to see your report Tim, I was just about to send an email to make sure you were still among the living. You said you had a ton of fun and met some great people, that equals success in my book. The rest is just details. Seventy degrees is certainly way outside of my ideal range, that sounds like great weather for sitting at the hotel's outdoor bar but not so great for running. Bonus HTFU points for running while melting, I have to add my "nice dude -- NICE". Ever since I read rockenmamof5 's Steamtown Race Report it has been on my radar. It's one of my favorite race reports, the kind that makes you want to fill out an application and drop it in the mail. It won't be this year, but I hope to get there someday.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Glad to see your report Tim, I was just about to send an email to make sure you were still among the living. You said you had a ton of fun and met some great people, that equals success in my book. The rest is just details. Seventy degrees is certainly way outside of my ideal range, that sounds like great weather for sitting at the hotel's outdoor bar but not so great for running. Bonus HTFU points for running while melting, I have to add my "nice dude -- NICE". Ever since I read rockenmamof5 's Steamtown Race Report it has been on my radar. It's one of my favorite race reports, the kind that makes you want to fill out an application and drop it in the mail. It won't be this year, but I hope to get there someday.
        Thanks Ed ... left the laptop at home and just got back last night ... licking my wounds for 2-days with that same 70+ degree weather by the beach didn't suck ... now it's back to the snow. Steamtown's "a go" ... I already booked my hotel but you cannot register until 04/01/09. 36 weeks should be just enough time to get a proper program in place. Cool

2012= under-goaled

good job breaking 4 hours. Just wondering, are all your runs around 8-9 min? I noticed your long runs are the same speed also. how does that make your legs feel?
          http://ericstarrtraining.blogspot.com/
          pitrunner

Wow, 2 pukes and still finished. Way to HTFU! Nice job!
              good job breaking 4 hours. Just wondering, are all your runs around 8-9 min? I noticed your long runs are the same speed also. how does that make your legs feel?
              Thanks. I have been trying to run faster -- the runs are still at a "conversational pace.". My legs feel fine. One of my partners is significantly faster than I am [he ran a 3:25 in miami - first marathon -- and he had more gas in the tank] ... so he generally sets the pace and I do my best to hang with him. If his pace gets silly for me ... I just let him go and run at a comfortable pace for me. I PR'd on a 1/2 marathon this weekend by about 20sec / mile with no real intention of running hard -- I was just running with him -- he picked up the pace -- I just stayed on his shoulder.] I want to get my mileage up into the 40-50 range [on a 6 day schedule] consistently this Spring and then train with more mileage / hills / speed for an Fall marathon. I am joining a running club this Spring that does speed work on a local track with a coach 1x / week ... so hopeully that can help with shorter races this May - July. Other than wanted to drop another 15 pounds, ... I feel as healthy as I have in 10+ years.

2012= under-goaled

Ringmaster

It's a little ridiculous that it's already that hot down here, isn't it? CONGRATS on a great finish in the face of adverse conditions! Way to tough it out! (Though, in training for my first now TWO weeks away (YIKES!) I, for one, would have appreciated the play-by-play, but I understand your not wanting to relive particular moments of the race.) Thanks for sharing your race with us. K

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile