Talk to me about using alternatives to gels (Read 358 times)

No one has mentioned Hammer's Perpetuem or First Endurance Liquid Shot?  Both of those products have some protein or amino acids (which is what proteins become after digestion) which seems like a good idea for longer efforts.  I'm not real sure if it was my training last year or the Liquid Shot but neither of my marathons went all that well.... YMMV

I picked up some gels recently to try that have protein, I think they were Roctane?

Any opinions on carbs vs carbs/protein?

Any opinions on carbs vs carbs/protein?

Each has its place.

I haven't looked at gels that much, but some products may use select amino acids rather than full protein.

Try making a chart of what products have what ingredients - not just by carbs, protein, fats, but the kinds of the various carbs, protein, fats - and comparing. (note: I'm not holding my breath. I started that at one point, but only on a couple products.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      bhearn

Try making a chart of what products have what ingredients - not just by carbs, protein, fats, but the kinds of the various carbs, protein, fats - and comparing. (note: I'm not holding my breath. I started that at one point, but only on a couple products.)

This was done in 2008, so is probably pretty out of date now, but I refer back to it now and then.

Energy Gel Comparison

xhristopher

Snickers.

Snickers.

Now that I've got into the trails and trained for my first ultra, Snickers, Pay Days, PB&J sandwiches, and Nutter Butters have become my nutrition.  Works so much better than gels.