Wildfires... (Read 69 times)

Daves_Not_Here

Many folks tell me how they would love to live where Marina and I do. It is indeed a beautiful place to live/work/play. However, there is a downside to living in the forest. One of those downsides is the threat of wildfire. As of this morning, we're almost 1 week into the Rim fire. Although it's over 60 miles to the south of us, we're experiencing heavy smoke and ash fall. The smoke is so bad that I haven't been able to run at all. Here's a couple of pics of our backyard from yesterday and today. Much worse today...

From yesterday...

And now today. Visibility at best is ~1/4 mile. Typically from this view we can see clear across the Central Valley to the Napa Mtns (~80-100 miles)...

Queen of 3rd Place

Sorry to hear about that, you definitely don't want to be running in that.  Here to the south (Fresno) we're worried that the winds will shift. I've been watching the pyrocumulus cloud for days. Here's a photo published in our local paper, it doesn't do the cloud's appearance justice:

B1_P0828_A5EARTH_COL

Ex runner

Queen of 3rd Place

Satellite image:

Ex runner

Queen of 3rd Place

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wow, sorry, those of you who are suffering through this.

Those are stunning images. It's crazy how much area the smoke takes up. I heard a warning issued about not doing manual labor outdoors because of the poor air quality from the smoke, so I imagine running in it would be even worse. Hopefully they can get it under control soon.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

Daves_Not_Here

They're making progress on it, but it's still raging. Yesterday was the worst I've seen it. Today, much better visibility wise but the smell of smoke is strong. The fire is now the 6th largest in the history of the state.