Back into running need resources (Read 125 times)

PGTTECH

I'm 28 and the last time I seriously ran was my senior year of high school (2003).  I ran cross country (5k), winter and spring track all 4 years, PR of 18:53 in the 5k.  We never had a team or coach to speak of, nutrition plan, any idea what to do for practice, lifting, etc.  We basically ran 5-6 miles at a slightly above jogging pace every day and did meets.  I suffered through some really bad ankle and knee injuries which eventually made me stop running when I graduated.

My wife just transitioned from a RN position to a sitting/administration job so we both got gym memberships.  I can't stand the pounding the treadmill or running puts on my lower body anymore so she asked me to try the elliptical with her.  I started off 7mph for 30 minutes and it was really hard despite feeling like I'm in pretty decent shape still from work/life.  Over the last 10 weeks I've worked up to now doing 1 hour hill interval workout at level 12 (of 25) maintaining 7mph and heart rate at least 150.

A few weeks ago I got the itch to run again.    I feel like the elliptical is a good workout but a little boring and I may have hit a wall where I have a cardio base and I'm not getting too much more out of repeating the same workout.  Went 5k based on gps in phone (all road) and was hurting (ankle wise) bad but body felt ok.  29:50.  My splits were a joke, which I figured after being out for so long.  Went out way too fast.  Did that once a week in addition to 3x elliptical, got it down to 28:30 with a much more even pace.  Friend mentioned a charity 5K (yesterday) and I was interested to see how I would run in a semi-competitive environment.

Paid a visit to the new running store in town, got fitted for shoes (previously wearing cross trainers), superfeet orange to bring my arches up and ankle braces.  Nike LunaRacer.  Ran 24:25.2 and was stunned.  Very hilly course (3 hills 350ft+) and all road.  Body felt great afterward like I could have run harder and ankles feel 90%, I guess something worked.  I probably won't do any more competitive events any time soon, but am interested now in getting on a more 5K specific program and seeing what improvements I can make WITHOUT CAUSING INJURIES.

So what I'm asking is for recommendations for an absolutely new runner (see how bad my previous running experience was) in terms of resources that discuss:

1.  diet - esp. day of and night before

2.  biomechanics (I still feel as though I pronate a lot)

3.  training programs (3-4k/week) that use as little as real running as possible (cross training, eliptical, swimming, lifting) etc. anything to keep the pounding down

4.  sleep/rest patterns the nights before

5.  equipment/footwear

6.  breathing patterns/techniques/equipment - I could feel myself mouth in/mouth out the whole back half of the race.  even when consciously trying to breath through the nose I felt like I was all stuffed up.

7.  Since I am only using the 5K competitive to gauge what improvements I'm making (God it was SOOOOOO hard to not be competitive and push too hard), how often should I plan on running them?  Once every 2 months?

There are lots of things all over forums but you know the problem with too much information and most seems for guys really looking to get below 20:00 5K - I can change my diet up some, but I need realistic stuff what I cook has to feed 4.  I guess my first most important question would be - should I keep using these superfeet in all my shoes throughout the day or should I go to the foot doctor and get the custom ones I had done in high school where they take a mold of my foot?  Also, should I be wearing my cross trainers as my every day shoe (I have been doing this for some years now).  While I would like to drop those times down somewhat, injury prevention (esp ankles) is my top priority.  Took my little brother as well who runs 5K for the school now, he won the event outright and wife completed her first 5K ever (walk/run sub-45:00) so it was a good running day overall.

Basically, I need a starting point for the realistic/every day person just looking to stay in good shape and enjoy running.  Going to a running-specific store for my footwear obviously paid huge dividends over what I was doing previously so I'm hoping I can find some equal expert advice for those other questions I have up there.

tomorrow

spam
      tomorrow

spam

some call me Tim

Imo, you are way overthinking this. I do that, too.

Just worry about running easy a few days a week. Don't run through pain, and don't be afraid to scrap the day's run if you feel you need rest. Run on softer surfaces if you're worried about pounding... the unevenness of grass or easy trails will also help to strengthen your ankles, but you have to give it time. Run more as you feel more capable. Always go easy at first. Your body will adapt, but you have to give it a reason to. Once that starts to happen you'll be amazed at the improvements you'll make without having to worry about this whole list of stuff.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Blargendarg is right, just run.  Stay relaxed as you run.  Eat healthy, sleep well, don't listen to the nonsense about breathing through the nose, just breathe.

Check out this book http://www.amazon.com/The-Competitive-Runners-Handbook-Bestselling/dp/0140469907

It is great for newer runners who want to race and enjoy their running and will answer a lot of your questions.  It was useful for me when I started and is kind of a classic.  After that check out books by Jack Daniels and Pete Pfitzinger if you get the itch to improve your race times. Smile

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Imo, you are way overthinking this. I do that, too.

Just worry about running easy a few days a week. Don't run through pain, and don't be afraid to scrap the day's run if you feel you need rest. Run on softer surfaces if you're worried about pounding... the unevenness of grass or easy trails will also help to strengthen your ankles, but you have to give it time. Run more as you feel more capable. Always go easy at first. Your body will adapt, but you have to give it a reason to. Once that starts to happen you'll be amazed at the improvements you'll make without having to worry about this whole list of stuff.

This.

Also, if you are breathing through your nose in a 5K race, you are not trying hard enough.  A race is a race.  Go flat out.

Diet is also easy: I never eat before a 5K.  If I did, I would puke at the end.