Shoes for logging mileage on concrete (Read 102 times)

jmctav23

2/3rds training

I have a history of trail running/several short ultras and been off and on again running with ITB issues and now trying to build back up to regular 40-50 mile weeks.  Living in Eastern Europe where there are lots of lovely parks to run through but all the walking paths are made of concrete paver blocks which are very hard on the joints.  Usually run in low-med drop neutral road or trail shoes (currently using Salomon Sonic Aero road shoe which I like but is pretty firm).  I can get mileage in on dirt near my house but running the same 5 miles all the time is getting old and I'd like to be able to explore more of the city during runs without worrying about recurring injury from the concrete.  Long runs will probably always be done on dirt, so I really just need recommendations for a day to day easy run shoe that will help mitigate the hardness...

There are a few Hokas on sale at RW right now but do I need to go that cushy?  Any minimum stack heights I should look for?  Any new super foam that will work wonders?  Anybody else log miles regularly on concrete without trashing their legs?

Pic of general surface throughout the city:  Pavers EVERYWHERE

I recommend Hoka Clifton 3.  You might look into the beefier Topo shoes like Ultrafly.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I Run To Eat :)

I have a history of trail running/several short ultras and been off and on again running with ITB issues and now trying to build back up to regular 40-50 mile weeks.  Living in Eastern Europe where there are lots of lovely parks to run through but all the walking paths are made of concrete paver blocks which are very hard on the joints.  Usually run in low-med drop neutral road or trail shoes (currently using Salomon Sonic Aero road shoe which I like but is pretty firm).  I can get mileage in on dirt near my house but running the same 5 miles all the time is getting old and I'd like to be able to explore more of the city during runs without worrying about recurring injury from the concrete.  Long runs will probably always be done on dirt, so I really just need recommendations for a day to day easy run shoe that will help mitigate the hardness...

There are a few Hokas on sale at RW right now but do I need to go that cushy?  Any minimum stack heights I should look for?  Any new super foam that will work wonders?  Anybody else log miles regularly on concrete without trashing their legs?

Pic of general surface throughout the city:  Pavers EVERYWHERE

If it's helpful to add that I've run using Asics for almost a decade across park runs and mostly road/pavement and they've been amazing. I use the GT-1000/GT-2000 series because they have some stability built into the sole. Hope this is helpful, if not let me know and I'll add something else ?

jmctav23

2/3rds training

If it's helpful to add that I've run using Asics for almost a decade across park runs and mostly road/pavement and they've been amazing. I use the GT-1000/GT-2000 series because they have some stability built into the sole. Hope this is helpful, if not let me know and I'll add something else ?

I have used Asics before for logging road miles and I am considering them again because they fit me well.  I believe I was on what is now the Gel DS racer, though they didn't call it a racer a few years ago.  They now have a neutral version of the GT series that appears well cushioned and is on my short list.  Thanks

running metalhead

Any new super foam that will work wonders?  Anybody else log miles regularly on concrete without trashing their legs?

I assume everybody and the dog. I myself use just anything from Xeroshoes Huaraches, to espadrilles, canvas sneakers, New Balance Minimus, Adidas racing flats, Adidas trainers, el-cheapo trainers from Decathlon and the Lidl and even some trail shoes like the ASICS GEL Fuji Attack. My legs are still in one piece and in it's place (one to the left and the other to the right).

We have stone roads here too in the Netherlands, they are preferred to concrete because they dissipate the sound of the cars.

And I do run ultras too Wink

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
            - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
            - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
            - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
            - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
            - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Glad anything will work for you...

I assume everybody and the dog. I myself use just anything from Xeroshoes Huaraches, to espadrilles, canvas sneakers, New Balance Minimus, Adidas racing flats, Adidas trainers, el-cheapo trainers from Decathlon and the Lidl and even some trail shoes like the ASICS GEL Fuji Attack. My legs are still in one piece and in it's place (one to the left and the other to the right).

We have stone roads here too in the Netherlands, they are preferred to concrete because they dissipate the sound of the cars.

And I do run ultras too Wink

Daydreamer1

Ever since I discovered Hokas I've been looking for a better mouse trap. Haven't found one yet. The closest I can get is my Altra Olympus.  Not a bad shoe just a little firmer then a Hoka with the same stack height.  I've tried on a variety of other shoes such as the NB fresh foam and something from Nike that was supposed to be rather soft but didn't like them. The only thing that comes close to something I can run long in are  some of the Asic with the gel.

Basically I just stick to my Bondis   for the road and hard packed dirt.

Didn't you used to do your running and rock climbing in the southwest US or am I getting you mixed up with someone else?

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Didn't you used to do your running and rock climbing in the southwest US or am I getting you mixed up with someone else?

Yeah that was/is me.  I lived in Flagstaff for 3.5 years, had some great times trail running there but had perpetual ITB issues that were exacerbated by being a chef and standing on tile for way too long all week.  Basically gave up on running for a bit to pursue more cycling and climbing adventures, rode San Diego to Florida and then moved to Europe (again...) and am trying to give this running thing a shot again.  I've spent some time in the gym here focusing on core and hip strength and seem to have shaken the ITB issues (I hope) but rather quickly developed runners knee when I tried to ramp back up to 25 mpw on these harder surfaces.  Have rehabbed that and am cautiously building back up again.

Thanks for the input about the Hokas.  Altra looks interesting but I'm not sure I want to commit to zero drop, especially for a daily/easy run shoe.

running metalhead

Glad anything will work for you...

Not only for me but for 99% of the runners as most of the running shoes are made for concrete and we humans don't have such a variety of appendages Smile

You can safely run with trail shoes, the only thing that happens is that they  "feel" a bit heavy and sluggish while most common road trainers will give you a ride that "feels" softer.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Christirei

I've only ever bought one pair, but my mom swears by the  Adidas Energy Boost shoes. She absolutely loves them, they are very soft. She is an older runner and they help her joints feel nice Smile I bought one pair on sale and really did like them, but they are so expensive I have since switched to a different shoe.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Your opinion has been noted.  Running on concrete in my Inov8 shoes with a firm midsole does not feel good to me, or my knees.  I guess I'm in that one percent.  Or I just shouldn't listen to my legs, or just tell them they are wrong and that they should be perfectly happy running 15 miles in my Toms.

Not only for me but for 99% of the runners as most of the running shoes are made for concrete and we humans don't have such a variety of appendages Smile

You can safely run with trail shoes, the only thing that happens is that they  "feel" a bit heavy and sluggish while most common road trainers will give you a ride that "feels" softer.