IT band injury :( (Read 57 times)

thediamonddog

Hi all,

So recently (3-4 weeks ago) I started feeling a pain on the outside of my knew every time I ran over 5km. It gradually got worse, both the pain and the point at which I feel the injury (I now begin to feel it after 3km). It''s really debilitating to the point where I have now stopped running for week. I went out for a quick jog to see how it felt and it's still the same if not worse Sad

The weird thing is, after the run (maybe a few hours), i'm fine and my knee is fine. It's not swollen and there's no pain.

After some googling i've self-diagnosed myself with ITB syndrome, which I think is correct.

I want to start my training plan in July for the Manchester marathon in October.

Has anyone else experienced this, and have any tips on recovery?

SMART Approach

You don't have a serious case or injury-be thankful of that. Are you doing a lot of hip and glute strength and mobility work? If not, start because this is a key to dealing with knee pain. You need to address the cause.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zebano

This is almost exactly what a physical therapist  had me doing when I suffered from it troubles. https://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

You don't have a serious case or injury-be thankful of that. Are you doing a lot of hip and glute strength and mobility work? If not, start because this is a key to dealing with knee pain. You need to address the cause.

This is exactly right.

Marky_Mark_17

I had exactly what you describe a couple of years ago.  Not fun.  In my case it was my own fault for building up my training too fast after a marathon.

Never actually figured out what caused it (hip and glute strength were not a major issue for me), but I've got a strength imbalance between my left and right sides due to a serious knee injury (on the unaffected leg) 7 years ago.   It was initially intermittent and then became more regular, settling in 3-4 km into a run.

Anyway, reduced training load for a few weeks and self massage had it slowly improving.  It didn't really get fully better until we went on a snowboarding holiday for two weeks and my running volume reduced a lot for those two weeks.  All in all it was two months from when the issue started to when it felt back to 100%.  It is a niggly injury and you'll need to be patient with it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

thediamonddog

Thanks for all the replies guys.

@Tchuk - Well I have actually been doing these exercises: https://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/

It's the same video that @Zebano recommended (thanks!). Does that count as strength and mobility work?

@Zebano - after following that vid did you get recover? If so how long did it take you?

@Marky_Mark_17 - SO the moral of your story is to rest I guess! Sad

SMART Approach

Those exercises are fine especially if you have not been doing any strength work or can't stand because of pain and need a starting point. My issue is that many of those exercises are on the ground. My philosophy is to have exercises to simulate running so more exercises on your feet and one leg.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zebano

Thanks for all the replies guys.

@Tchuk - Well I have actually been doing these exercises: https://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/

It's the same video that @Zebano recommended (thanks!). Does that count as strength and mobility work?

@Zebano - after following that vid did you get recover? If so how long did it take you?

@Marky_Mark_17 - SO the moral of your story is to rest I guess! Sad

I did but it was a 4 month, slow build. I haven't actually done that type of work much but I lift heavy (deadlift, squat + single leg variants) often enough that I think it suffices.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)