Kirsten & Eryn run the Strider's Classic 10 Mile. (Read 669 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

God, that sucked! Remember when I said I loved hills--I lied. Actually, I do love hills...short, steep ones. Not LONG, endless ones over and over on an out-and-back course (unfortunately the elevation won't show in the map I made...Eric, any way to fix that)? Beautiful weather for a run--would have been a perfect race, but I never really found my groove. Kept forgetting to hit the lap button on my watch, so I don't know my splits, but I think the middle third of the race I was pretty putzy. My body felt good (no pains, muscles felt mostly pretty well), but I am feeling the effects of seasonal allergies on my asthma. I definitely want to talk to my PCP about more aggressive treatment for that. I was gasping hard at the end and this is the first time that I truly felt ready to vomit at the end of a race. Me no likey. I'm pretty infamous for my iron gut and aversion to barfing under any circumstances. By 5 minutes after finishing my tummy had pretty much settled, though. Eryn and I ran side-by side the entire way and only were 2 seconds apart at the finish--heh, being a reformed sprinter is good for something, as I was just ahead of her. We definitely pushed each other the entire race...there were moments where I just wanted to stop. My time was recorded (manually, no chips) as 1:39:26, but Eryn and I both agreed that something was up with that, as we both saw 1:38ish on the clock as we went through. I also forgot to stop my watch, but when I did it was 1:40 and it was well over a minute after I had finished. I think whomever was writing times down added a minute to both of our times, so we're sticking with the 1:38 times. I finished 8/15 in our age group. I'm pretty proud of that (especially since I was worried I'd be last or close to it after looking at last year's time's for my AG) and of my time, especially since it was such a challenging course and I walked through each water stop--something I don't do when I take my Camelbak. 3 weeks to our big 25k. I think this race really served as a great training run for that, too. That course may be longer, but it will be much less hilly, so I should have no problem maintaining ~10 minute pace for that. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

WTG Zoomie and Backroad! (Hey BRR, ankle hold out ok?). Big grin Even though it didn't feel like the best race, probably a new PR for you, right? More importantly, this race'll help you be way ready for Old Kent, 5/3, π, or whatever the hell they're calling the Riverbank Run these days. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

WTG Zoomie and Backroad! (Hey BRR, ankle hold out ok?). Big grin Even though it didn't feel like the best race, probably a new PR for you, right? More importantly, this race'll help you be way ready for Old Kent, 5/3, π, or whatever the hell they're calling the Riverbank Run these days. Cheers, Jeff
        Thanks--and I DID PR...not that I was too surprised by that. I was about 10 minutes faster than my last 10 mile race, LOL (I had a BAD first 10 mile race)! Yep, those hills and that distance and speed feel like a tempo/hills/long run all rolled into one. I have one more real long run before 5/3 in about a week. I should be going ~16 miles, I think. I like doing at least the race distance before the race, then I have no doubts in my mind that I can do it (though I know that won't be the case pre-marathon). Oh, and funny story...while driving to the race I was flipping radio stations and heard Cake's "Going the Distance." Then on the way home I heard it on a different station. I took it as a sign. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

"Hills make me stronger..." "Sucky races make me more determined..." Big grin Congrats on getting through a tough race. You're gonna have a great 25K race. I can feel it coming... Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think so, too! Before today I didn't think there was any chance I could do the 25k at a 10 minute pace...but now I think I can, or at least damned close. My HM pace last Fall was ~10.15 and I am in better condition, now, and a few pounds lighter...I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.... Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

va

Nice PR zz!!! Congrats!

madness baby

Yay Kirsten! Great race today. I knew you had to be lying about those hills Wink It's great that you got such an impressive time (and PR!) for such a difficult course. You're going to do so much at the 25K! Have a restful recovery. And eat some pop tarts!
                deb
                  WOO HOOOO!!! WTG ladies! That is SO cool you all could stay together and motivate each other. Big grin Way to eat it up! you had to mention hills? I freely admit, I don't like the work and they intimidate the hell out of me. That reminded me of the Carlsbad and the San Dieguito Half...the San Dieguito half has a wicked looooong hill the last mile of the race and it's just heartbreaking. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

shyrunner07

awesome job you two! I'm so proud of you! Big grin Your times are hella cool- good job! I hope someday to be able to keep up with ya'll.... Smile And yes, the weather was insanely gorgeous today....God herself must be a fellow runner...Big grin how do you plan on celebrating your feat tonight?
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

awesome job you two! I'm so proud of you! Big grin Your times are hella cool- good job! I hope someday to be able to keep up with ya'll.... Smile And yes, the weather was insanely gorgeous today....God herself must be a fellow runner...Big grin how do you plan on celebrating your feat tonight?
                      Thanks, girlfriend! I hope you can run with us someday...Joni, too. Wouldn't it be fun to someday do the North Contry Trail Relay up in Baldwin? 6 runners/team and there are a variety of lengths for the legs each runner can run. We could have the 4 of us and find 2 other gals to be on our team--that would be SO fun! As for celebrating tonite...did bought me a 6 pack of Oberon. I plan to have at least 2-3. Microwave popcorn sounds good, too...I know how to party! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Hey - I think you guys did great!! Congratulations! and for the 25 k - " I know you can, I know you, can I know you can"..... Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey - I think you guys did great!! Congratulations! and for the 25 k - " I know you can, I know you, can I know you can"..... Big grin
                          Big grin Thanks, girl! Now you get healed-up so that you can go kick butt in some races soon, too. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

madness baby

Somebody might need more than a 6-pack, huh, rockstar??!! Can I just say again what an awesome race with hills. I know, life's abeach, it made me think about those surprise hills (didn't I sign up for a "flat course"?) in Carlsbad! Wink deb
                            deb
                              Awesome Kirsten and Eryn! You are getting so much faster. I had no doubt you'd PR today, regardless of the course. That speedwork training and weight loss is really paying off! Smile
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That speedwork training and weight loss is really paying off! Smile
                                Hells yeah! Maybe when I drop my last 10+#s and keep up the speedwork I can consistently stay in single-digit paces! One of these days I need to do another 5k and 10k race to get rid of last year's PRs for those shorter races--I'm in way better form nowadays! Amazing the difference a year makes...a year ago I was not yet running 3 miles non-stop...now that's my warm-up! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay