Anything a taller runner needs to know? (Read 1998 times)

#artbydmcbride

Don't buy short shorts.

Now now!  I have to disagree......

Runners run

jpdeaux

I'm 6'1" and have never beaten you in a race, so I'm going with the tall=disadvantage theory.

+1"

Hoodoo Guru

At 6' 3" the only problem I have with being tall is when short people tell me I have an advantage because of my long legs.

The tangents are moot.

At 6' 3" the only problem I have with being tall is when short people tell me I have an advantage because of my long legs.

Yes, I often get the comment that I "look like a runner"  I take this to mean two things:

1. The other person thinks I'm tall

2. The other person assumes I don't have enough coordination to participate in other sports.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

No run...need sleepy!

Are you some freakish human-giraffe hybrid? I'm surprised you can type with your cloven hooves.

Who uses their hooves?!?!  At least I'm not a yeti.

I'm 5' 9" and I regularly get my ass handed to me by taller runners.

+1

actually I'm a tad shy of 5'7"     not many during races shorter than me, so the odds are that I would be beat by more "tall" people than people shorter than me.  to me 5'9" is almost tall. BUT my last race this past Sat.(5k),   another in my age group that was at least 3 feet taller (ok maybe only 1 foot) than me was leading me by 25 yrds at the turnaround .   started gaining on him on the slight uphill (against stiff headwind), caught him at the 2 1/2 mile mark & passed him with 1/4 mile to go & left him far behind!!    winner in my AG was also about 5'7"     I was hoping that I could dart in behind the taller fella & draft for while hoping he would also pick up his pace & then take him towards the end, but he never picked up his pace so just went around & "powered" through the wind to the finish.  So maybe in this case shorter had advantage as the wind affected him more ???

Am I doing this right?

Now now!  I have to disagree......

You're right, I should specify.  Tall males, stay away from short shorts.

Tall females, check w/ me first.

No excuses....

Cool Jump Suit

Human-Giraffe hybrid =  head & neck of giraffe with tongue of Gene Simmons. 

Who uses their hooves?!?!  At least I'm not a yeti.

So bittersweet,
                  This tragedy
                  Won't ask for absolution;
                  This melody,
                  Inside of me,
                  Still searches for solution.
                  A twist of faith,
                  A change of heart
                  Cures my infatuation.
                  A broken heart, 
                  Provides the spark
                  For my determination.

Imminent Catastrophe

dang it, I keep clicking on this thread thinking it says, "trail runner".  Never mind. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Turbolegs

Just a theoretical answer here - its possible that with longer legs, the torque applied on your ankle is higher as you go through the inverted pendulum motion on each stride, so you would want to make sure your ankles and therefore the supporting calf muscles are in good shape.

Like i prefixed, its just a theoretical answer. I am 5'11 FWIW.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

I don't know what made me think of this.  Does being tall have any advantaged or disadvantages that I should be aware of?   Ways to use my long legs to my advantage in a race?

Anyone?  Anyone?

Advantage 

Jack Bachelor [2:17 marathon] Olympian = 6'7"  6"5"

Easy to spot in a crowd -- tough to find someone to draft off.

[BTW -- I'm 6'5" -- so it appears I am quite slow]

MTA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Bacheler

2012= under-goaled

MrH

Again from the Science of Support, an article on Chris Solinsky.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2010/05/chris-solinsky-fastest-big-guy-ever.html

The discussion is interesting, including the idea that perhaps BMI is a more useful metric than just height or weight.

MTA: an unfortunate conclusion though for us taller folks is the impact of body mass on heat dissipation. It seems that taller runners may get greater benefit from being more lean, than their shorter opponents will. And again, doing the strength work so that those longer levers are an asset and not a liability will help too.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Watch out for roots and rocks, you don't want to trip because it's a long way down.

(That's for Perfesser in case he comes back to "the trail runner" thread)

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Again from the Science of Support, an article on Chris Solinsky.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2010/05/chris-solinsky-fastest-big-guy-ever.html

The discussion is interesting, including the idea that perhaps BMI is a more useful metric than just height or weight.

MTA: an unfortunate conclusion though for us taller folks is the impact of body mass on heat dissipation. It seems that taller runners may get greater benefit from being more lean, than their shorter opponents will. And again, doing the strength work so that those longer levers are an asset and not a liability will help too.

It may already have been said, but I find it odd that a guy who's 6' 0.75" (and 165 pounds) is considered "tall".  (The average US adult male is 5'9", says Wikipedia.)  I"m 6'0.5" and never really thought of myself as tall.  I certainly don't tower over the guys around the office.

I'd read somewhere (Pfitzinger?) that one disadvantage to being bigger is that you generate heat by volume but shed it by area (VERY generally speaking).  Which might explain why taller men can be found among elites at middle distances but not as readily at longer distances.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

runjanerun

I thought I read somewhere that it's thought of (generally) as a disadvantage in distance running because more height probably means more weight to carry.  But hey, Robert Cheruiyot is 6'3.   At 143 lb, much lighter than most 6'3 runners so that still implies that matters more.  Still, same degree of leanness and a 5'5 runner will be lighter than a 6'5 runner.. and given examples of tall successful runners doesn't change the mode (most often occurring).

Still, looking to use height as an advantage, you might want to turn to swimming or rowing. Wink

Of course, most of us don't run to be the best, but to be our best; and it's hard to change height. Much easier to add training.   One of my best friends was a very good football player, with a body (6'5 and muscular) that really helped him there... but he stopped that after college and started running; his body worked against him but his drive and focus he still retained led him to a 2:45 marathon.